starting strength gym
Page 24 of 167 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Still trying to lift more at the shore

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Nice Press!!! What's your plan for intermediate programming when you run out of gains? I'm thinking I'm going to try texas method...but might need to have a HLM in my back pocket if the school year doesn't play ball with my lifting goals.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineTom View Post
    Nice Press!!! What's your plan for intermediate programming when you run out of gains? I'm thinking I'm going to try texas method...but might need to have a HLM in my back pocket if the school year doesn't play ball with my lifting goals.

TM is definitely not a possibility for me. I'm going to do some kind of HLM setup, I'll have to see how many training days I can get in when I see what our fall schedule looks like. My pressing movements definitely like volume, but I'm only going to squat heavy once per week.

Run your ideas by me when you're ready for Int programming and I'll be happy to give my feedback.

Squat
    +5 275x3, 255x2x5
    Triple was fast and easy, no grind at all. It was technically a ~6lb jump by throwing the 25s (25.4s) on there to 278, but I crushed it.

Bench
    +2.5 195x3x2, 200x1, 205x1. Bench 205 - YouTube
    2nd reps were grindy enough I didn't even attempt 3rds. Decided before a reset I wanted to hit a milestone of a bw bench. 200 (203) flew, so I went for 205 (208) just so the posted bar weight was over bw. Given press is still moving along great on triples, I'm probably just going to reset this to my latest 5rm (180ish) and try to run it back up to 200+ for triples before moving bench and press to TM or other int programming.

Deadlift
    +5 340x3, 305x3
    Felt real heavy today. Tougher than 335, but not an all out grind or anything.

202.2 - sleep was great all weekend and so was food

Squat
    +5 280x3, 255x2x5
    Technically made the reps, but knees caved enough on reps 2 and 3 where I'm counting this as a miss. Still, the 1 legitimate rep is a PR so there's that. Monday squats on 72h rest always seem to give me crap, leading me to believe I need to move squats to a HLM setup, which I'll probably do starting next Monday. Backoffs were more difficult than the same weight was on Friday.

Press
    +1 122.5x3x3, 105x7
    First triple very grindy legs shaking, last 2 sets much smoother, as per the norm for presses. Backoff set same as always - super easy through 5, then all the fatigue sets and my arms will barely move.

Chins
    +.75 1x5 w/ +20.75 lbs, 2x5 w/ +19 lbs
    Last edited by Agilic; 08-22-2016 at 08:08 AM.

Forgot to weigh in

Nice break from thfrom humidity...walked around the zoo with the kid for a couple hours this morning, then:

Airdyne
    7 x 20:120
    Felt real strong...first session I can remember that I wasn't doing this in a damn sauna.

I think the humidity is supposed to be back Friday, just in time for heavy squats and deadlifts!

Nice Squat! I really want to hit 275 before intermediate, but 255 felt real rough....maybe a reset for me, we'll see...any benchmarks on presses you'd like to see before intermediate? I'm really hoping for a 135 OHP for 5.

204.4 - where did that come from!?!?

Squat (L)
    215x2x5

Bench
    180x3x5
    Reset back down to my last successful 3x5 to see where my 5's are at before switching to a new program template. Pretty tough but bar moved okay. 1st set toughest.

Chins
    10x3
    Short rest periods.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineTom View Post
    Nice Squat! I really want to hit 275 before intermediate, but 255 felt real rough....maybe a reset for me, we'll see...any benchmarks on presses you'd like to see before intermediate? I'm really hoping for a 135 OHP for 5.
    Thanks! Keep trucking man...you can often surprise yourself even after squats feel very hard. I'm actually going to switch it up a little next for 2 reasons:

1) wife is back teaching so that means less sleep for dad
    2) shorter sessions so I can get in my lifts while my son naps

Here's what I'm thinking:

Monday: Squat (H) 3x5 + deadlifts
    Tuesday: intensity press + volume bench + weighted chins
    Wedsnesday: Airdyne sprints
    Thursday: Squat (M) 3x3 + powercleans (?!?!?!?)
    Friday: intensity bench + volume press + chins
    Sat + Sun REST

Do your DLs typically suffer when you do them right after heavy SQ? In your template above, you could switch days for DL and PC to avoid this.

starting strength coach development program
    Nah, not really. Plus I'd rather get all the heaviest stuff done together and have the rest of the week for more recovery. I have tried it both ways at times and it's just my personal preference, because I do read a lot of guys who don't like deadlifting after heavy squats.

Here's what I'm thinking for starting weights and reps for week 1...

Squat 250x3x5 (last successful 3x5, but I did do 255x2x5 backoff twice in a row), deadlift 345x3 (+5, still progressing)

Press 125x3 (assuming I'm successful with 124 on Friday), bench 160x3x8

Squat 255x3x3 (always +5 from a successful Monday)

Bench 180x5, press 110x5x5

I think this gives me a little variety with the rep ranges and hopefully allows for some running room. Deadliff and press have been moving well at triples so I don't want to reset, but squat and bench were basically stalled so I'm not sure if a bigger reset would be better in the long run. I just don't want to deload all that much given everything will now be a once per week increase.
    Last edited by Agilic; 08-24-2016 at 04:07 PM.