starting strength gym
Page 27 of 168 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Still trying to lift more at the shore

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTom View Post
    I think the game changer for me, that allowed moving past ~235-240 was back off sets...and putting them sooner than when it got to be a real grind, I think I started around 200x5, 180x5x2. The only other factors was maybe slightly more weight gain than I think you have had (~7-10 pounds) and I started creatine, but I think that's mostly just made my chest look a little bigger rather than affect squats, but who knows.
    Agreed on back off sets. At 53, I'm not in the same demographic as either of you. But regarding programming, I've seen Andy Baker say that 1 top set followed by back off sets is a way to effectively get both Intensity and Volume in the same workout.

I'm considering buying his 5 day 8/5/2 program for $45 and giving that a try, but wanna give my current programming at least another few weeks (with backoffs for squat) before bailing on it.

205.6 - getting fatter not stronger...was expecting a big jump at any time based on how much I've been stuffing my face

Didn't get to this until the evening:

Airdyne
    7 x 20:120
    Paced myself better on these and did 7 strong sprints in the 94-96 rpm range. Definitely feel like I'm maintaining my ability on these at once per week just fine, considering I built up at twice per week.

I don't think I've mentioned on here yet, but my wife is due with gainzz killer #2 the beginning of March. One day in the distant future, when these kids are in school and I'm working day hours, maybe I'll be able to reach a moderate level of respectability on my lifts.

203.8 hmmm

Press (I)
    +1 127.5x5x1
    Heavy but solid presses. Nothing all out, but probably didn't have any triples in me. Didn't clock it but between 1-2 min between reps.

Bench (V)
    +2.5 160x3x8
    1st set the easiest...16th and 24th reps were a little grindy but not too bad.

Chins
    11x3
    Probably averaged about 2m between sets. Not too bad.

How long have you been stuck at 255? looks like thats where you started your log right?

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    I don't think I've mentioned on here yet, but my wife is due with gainzz killer #2 the beginning of March. One day in the distant future, when these kids are in school and I'm working day hours, maybe I'll be able to reach a moderate level of respectability on my lifts.
    Congrats! That's the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by iSquat View Post
    Congrats! That's the good stuff.
    Thank you! We're very excited.

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerDog View Post
    How long have you been stuck at 255? looks like thats where you started your log right?
    Good point. My 5rm when I started my log in Jan. was 250 (with 255 for a triple) at 208. My 5rm now is 260 with a 300 single at 203. So yes, I've gained very little strength since then, partly because I was on a cut for half that time for basketball season, but mostly because I really, really suck at gaining strength.

Squat
    +5 260x2x3
    Full on grinds, but held form together. No chance at all of another rep on either set. Was planning on holding it at 2 sets today anyway to see if that lets me recover a little better for Tues.

Deadlift
    +5 360x1, 290x5
    Serious grind. Either a true 1rm or very close to it. Backoff not a problem. Chose to stay up and watch my Jets instead of get a good night's sleep. Hoping I can manage 3.5 plates next week with a better night's sleep, but it may be just about time for a rep range rotation on these. Unless all my lifts go to shit in the next couple weeks, then I'm just buying 852.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Good point. My 5rm when I started my log in Jan. was 250 (with 255 for a triple) at 208. My 5rm now is 260 with a 300 single at 203. So yes, I've gained very little strength since then, partly because I was on a cut for half that time for basketball season, but mostly because I really, really suck at gaining strength.
    I had some similar difficulty at around 255. I am a tall, lanky former basketball player. I started working up to a top set of 3 on Fridays with a drop set of 8. Then hitting the top set for 5 on Monday. Basically the Madcow routine. That was able to eventually get me to 315x3x3. So not awesome, but I am at a point now where I can hit sets of 270-290x5 with no issue. I really struggle to gain strength as well it seems, but I am going to keep pushing. I feel like the back off sets of 8 really helped me to add a little more mass and possibly leverage. Don't mean to highjack your log, but I have had similar issues.

starting strength coach development program
    Greatly appreciate the feedback. Interesting to hear what works for different people, especially those who struggle mightily compared to others, like ourselves. I really am thinking Baker's 852 would suit me well, because the 8's week would seemingly help for hypertropy and give frequent breaks from pushing max weights. But I don't know anything about madcow, so I'll probably read up on that as well.