starting strength gym
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Creatively Titled HLM Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    525x5 DL on SS? Holy shit, nice job.
    Thanks! Again, I had previously got up to 455, but I was shocked at how fast I got back to that number after 5 years of sitting on my ass (about 1 month). I actually was a little overzealous and ended up pulling my right trap on that set, and reset down to 405 the next session, then stuck to more reasonable 5lb jumps.

2400 calories yesterday. Down to 242.2 today, 6.2 lb drop from yesterday morning... Carbs and water are funny things.

My initial goal was to lose fat, so I've been taking progress photos every month to track that along with my weight and waist measurement. I'll spare everyone the underwear pics but these photos show my progress over five months of LP:

And a .gif because why not:

Stats over this time period (actually from 11/3/16):

Squat: 165 -> 365
    Deadlift: 235 -> 525
    Bench: 140 -> 235
    Press: 75 -> 170
    Chins: BWx2 -> 27.5lb for 3x5

BW: 252.6 -> 237.4 @ 5'11"
    Waist: 44.75" -> 40"

Reviewing the in-between photos shows most of the fat loss happened in the first two months, with some muscle size being added over the next three. In particular I noticed my arms got significantly larger when I started doing chins, first BW and then weighted, every workout.

It's funny how my goals have changed since I started. My initial goal was just to lose weight and to hit 200lbs by June 1st. Now I'm not sure I want to get down to 200lbs ever, lol. Once I lost enough fat to just not feel like shit all the time I became more addicted to adding weight to the bar. I'm still fatter than I want to be but I'd like to get my 3x5 squat to 405 before I try to cut more aggressively.
    Last edited by Tim K; 04-12-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    2400 calories yesterday. Down to 242.2 today, 6.2 lb drop from yesterday morning... Carbs and water are funny things.
    2300 calories on Tuesday, down to 240.8 on Wednesday morning.

I think the mustache must have been key to your LP success.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I think the mustache must have been key to your LP success.
    Most likely. I have long suspected that it is the source of all my power. Constantly on the lookout for loose women who would seek to cut off my handlebars, bind me, and deliver me up to the Philistines.

WEEK 2 (4/10/16 - 4/16/16)

Wednesday (Light Day):

Squats: 300x5x3
    Press: 175x5x3 - PR - first time using wrist wraps on the press, probably not really necessary
    Chins: 30x5x2, 30x4x1 - tough, missed the last rep. I'll redo this weight next week.

LTE: 85x10x3 - I feel like I want a bench where I can lock my feet under something for these.
    Lateral Raises: 25x10x3
    BB Curls: 85x9,8,7 - 2 min rest period, progressively more cheating. Last set was basically all cheater reps.

I did half-assed supersets of the LTE's with the Chins, just to save time. Chins > 5 min rest > LTE's > 5 min > Chins... etc. I normally do 10 min rest between sets of chins (and my other heavy lifts).

Tried to film my Press PR, ended up with this bullshit:

Amazingly that was the best video out of three attempts. The other two sets, my phone inexplicably stopped recording right before I unracked the bar. Pissed me off greatly, especially the second time it happened. At least I got my reps though.
    Last edited by Tim K; 04-13-2016 at 03:40 PM.

Since my press video was a fail, I will instead post this image from one of my 525 deadlift sets a few weeks ago. I think this was rep three of five:

Posted on Facebook with the caption "Deadlift face" and a friend of mine replied with this gem:

You look like the world's saddest strongman.

Quoth Sad Tim, "I can lift these weights, but I cannot lift my spirits."

Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    2300 calories on Tuesday, down to 240.8 on Wednesday morning.
    2300 calories on Wednesday, back up to 241.2 on Thursday morning.

Not planning on recording my weight every single day for the rest of the log, just doing it for a week out of curiosity to see the water fluctuations following the Sunday cheat meal.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Judging by your photos you could probably hover around this weight and keep training and see some body composition change while realizing good strength increases.
    Might end up doing that. I'm going to keep the calories the same, and if my weight still doesn't go down then so be it. If it does go down and that interferes with my progress then I will consider bumping the calories a little higher, at least until I get to 405x5.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    And your moustache is fucking epic.
    Haha, thanks. It's a pre-hipster moustache, I've had it for 4 1/2 years now.

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast