starting strength gym
Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Creatively Titled HLM Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    10 Week Program - Week 8 (8/20/17 - 8/26/17)

Monday

Bench:
    290x2x4 (PR) - first time doing doubles, I'm counting it as a PR though

Weighted Chins:
    45x5,5,4 - second set was more like 4.5. Used straps.

BW Chins:
    1x8

Press:
    195x2x3

The program only called for 4x1-2 so I was pretty happy to get 4 doubles at this weight. I'll be really happy if I can do that with squats tomorrow.

Tried to do a slightly different setup on the third set and midway through the first rep I realized that my heels were off the floor (not IPF legal, oh no!), which distracted me and led to my feet getting squirmy and the second rep being probably the longest bench rep I've done at around a 6 second concentric, with a nice hamstring cramp at the end just for fun. Rep 2 on the last set was almost as slow but not quite.

Tuesday

Squat:
    450x2x4 (PR) - previously did 440x2x3 on May 30. Judging from the video, these were slightly easier. Progress!

Dips:
    BWx12 - just did these because I was curious how many I could get. Leaned forward on these, felt like a lot of stress on my shoulder.

Deadlift:
    550x2x3 - did the first set with hook grip, second and third set mixed

Got my Stoic (Evolutionize) knee sleeves today and wore them for squats. They felt weird to walk around in and uncomfortable sitting down between sets (had to keep my feet out in front of me more). My knees felt good through the squats, but then again I haven't been having any issues with them either. I'll probably keep wearing them, at least for my heavy squat workouts, just as a precaution. Glad I followed the sizing chart as I was able to pull them on relatively easily. A size smaller would have probably put me over the edge of "too much of a PITA for everyday use".

The hook grip didn't slip on the 550x2 but the lockout felt soft on the second rep, probably because my thumbs were being destroyed. Might try taping them on Friday and seeing if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Squat: 450x2x4 (PR)

Got my Stoic (Evolutionize) knee sleeves today and wore them for squats. They felt weird to walk around in and uncomfortable sitting down between sets (had to keep my feet out in front of me more). My knees felt good through the squats, but then again I haven't been having any issues with them either. I'll probably keep wearing them, at least for my heavy squat workouts, just as a precaution. Glad I followed the sizing chart as I was able to pull them on relatively easily. A size smaller would have probably put me over the edge of "too much of a PITA for everyday use".

The hook grip didn't slip on the 550x2 but the lockout felt soft on the second rep, probably because my thumbs were being destroyed. Might try taping them on Friday and seeing if that helps.
    I was wondering how those sleeves would treat you (I secretly and silently follow many threads). My Rehbands are probably 7+ years old and pretty loose. I could pull them up past my patellas if I really tried. Then again, I have incredibly skinny legs.

I gave hook grip an honest try for a long time, and found soft lockouts to be a problem as well. The finish of most lifts is the least painful part, but hook grip don't give a shit about your lockout.

Also, strong squats!

Quote Originally Posted by broseph View Post
    I was wondering how those sleeves would treat you (I secretly and silently follow many threads). My Rehbands are probably 7+ years old and pretty loose. I could pull them up past my patellas if I really tried. Then again, I have incredibly skinny legs.
    I don't have anything to compare them to but I'm satisfied with the purchase. If I was trying to get more poundage out of them in competition then I guess sizing down would be the way to go.

I gave hook grip an honest try for a long time, and found soft lockouts to be a problem as well. The finish of most lifts is the least painful part, but hook grip don't give a shit about your lockout.
    The first rep was OK so it might just be a case of only using it for singles or needing tape. I'm going to try a rep at 585 on Friday and if that goes ok then I'll try 615 (working set) for the first rep. I know bicep tears are rare but if I can reduce that risk then it seems like a good idea. Plus with hook I can have a narrower grip which results in a slightly better starting position, and it's also easier on my elbow, which is bothering me lately.

Also, strong squats!
    Thanks, I'm feeling good about the 1RM testing in a couple of weeks. I think I should be able to hit a 5lb PR at least, which I'd be happy with considering the weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Thanks, I'm feeling good about the 1RM testing in a couple of weeks. I think I should be able to hit a 5lb PR at least, which I'd be happy with considering the weight loss.
    Frickin A. I recently went back through a few pages of your log to see where you started on this program. Excited to see where you end up.

Airdyne

30min
    >60rpm
    403 calories
    806 cal/hr (seems like a more motivating way to keep track of effort rather than cal/min)

Thursday

Press:
    220x2x4 (PR)

Cable Row:
    212.5x6,6,6,10 - decided to AMRAP the last set. Obviously I should have used more weight on these.

Bench:
    260x2x3

Wore the elbow sleeves through the whole workout. My left elbow did seem to feel better, at least in the actual joint. They made the inner elbow/tendon area on both arms sore though. Not sure if I'll keep wearing them. I'll have to see if there seems to be a difference in how it feels day-to-day.

Oh yeah, I've been doing some CoC stuff but not logging it. Yesterday I did something like 20 reps with the trainer, 30 with #1, and 30 with #1.5.

Lots of "Black Ink" in here...great effort.

+ 1 on taping the thumbs, especially on reps...there's something about resetting between reps that can turn the most-locked-in Hook to Spaghetti fingers almost immediately and I've dinged myself a number of times by having to hold on for dear life rather than on "proper" lifting mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Lots of "Black Ink" in here...great effort.

+ 1 on taping the thumbs, especially on reps...there's something about resetting between reps that can turn the most-locked-in Hook to Spaghetti fingers almost immediately and I've dinged myself a number of times by having to hold on for dear life rather than on "proper" lifting mechanics.
    Thanks. I'm going to try tape today and see how it goes. Still not sure if hook grip is going to hold at 600+ for me.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Great job on the PRs, but I'll be honest, for most of the video I'm coming up with little stories for the people that wander through the angle.
    I had to avoid an angle showing the girl standing just to the left of me because I wanted it to be clear that there was actually a man lifting weights in this video.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight Loss Update (Week 19 - 8/25/17)

Weekly Low: 247
    Moving Average: 249.3 (-1.3)
    Waist: 40.5" (-0.5)
    Avg Calories: 2647/day

Total Change since 4/14 (19 weeks):

BW: -29.8lbs
    Waist: -4.75"

Weight loss has slowed slightly but waist is moving down again, so all is right with the world.

Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast