starting strength gym
Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast

Thread: Creatively Titled HLM Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    That was my attempt at a joke. PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) means basically keeping calories under 1000 per day, almost nothing but whey protein. Not a great idea.
    WHAT?!?! This is real thing? I wouldn't ever dream of going below 2500 calories in a day... How long are you supposed to fast with that program?!? I'd wither away after 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    WHAT?!?! This is real thing? I wouldn't ever dream of going below 2500 calories in a day... How long are you supposed to fast with that program?!? I'd wither away after 24 hours.
    Well the real PSMF is a clinical protocol for morbidly obese patients. It's used for people who get gastric bypass surgery AFAIK. Lyle's version includes weekly "refeeds" and other modifications but it's still a very drastic measure (which he admits). It's the type of thing someone might do if they were a bodybuilder who was behind schedule in dieting for stage and desperate to lean out before the show. Horrible if you are interested in maintaining strength, obviously. Izzy (Tom Narvaez) did it for a while, there's a video somewhere on the Powerlifting to Win youtube channel if you're interested.
    Last edited by Tim K; 08-29-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Well the real PSMF is a clinical protocol for morbidly obese patients. It's used for people who get gastric bypass surgery AFAIK. Lyle's version includes weekly "refeeds" and other modifications but it's still a very drastic measure (which he admits). It's the type of thing someone might do if they were a bodybuilder who was behind schedule in dieting for stage and desperate to lean out before the show. Horrible if you are interested in maintaining strength, obviously. Izzy (Tom Narvaez) did it for a while, there's a video somewhere on the Powerlifting to Win youtube channel if you're interested.
    Thanks, but I'll pass. Sounds like a recipe for headaches, hunger, irritability, and serious loss in strength. Low carbs/cals = low happiness :P

Weight Loss Update (Week 20 - 9/1/17)

Weekly Low: 245.2
    Moving Average: 247.8 (-1.5)
    Waist: 40.0" (-0.5)
    Avg Calories: 2753/day

Total Change since 4/14 (20 weeks):

BW: -31.6lbs
    Waist: -5.25"

Winning weight loss strategy:

1. Average 100 cal/day more than last week

2. Eat 8 pizzas over the course of the week

3. Don't do any cardio

4. Barely lift

5. Chain yourself to your desk all week in a desperate attempt to get caught up on work

6. ?

7. Profit

10 Week Program - Week 9 (8/27/17 - 9/2/17)

Friday

Squat:
    355x3x3

Bench:
    230x3x3

Deadlift:
    495x3

Cobbler has my shoes, supposed to be ready for me to pick up on Tuesday. I wore a pair of cheap Chuck Taylor knock-offs today and the lack of heel was really throwing me off. I ended up squatting with 2.5lb plates under my heels which was most certainly unsafe and complicated the walkout. The squats themselves felt good though. I was surprised at how much I noticed the difference when benching. Felt like I was struggling to get solid contact with my feet. Felt different on the deadlift but not easier/better really.

Just closed the CoC #2 twice with my right hand and once with my left. Take that, allent!

I guess the random grip work here and there has been working. I haven't tried the #2 for a few weeks I think but I've been getting in reps with the #1 and #1.5 every couple of days. Last time I tried the 2 I was about a millimeter away from closing it on the right hand and not even close on the left.

Weight Loss Update (Week 20 - 9/1/17)

Weekly Low: 245.2
    Moving Average: 247.8 (-1.5)
    Waist: 40.0" (-0.5)
    Avg Calories: 2753/day

Total Change since 4/14 (20 weeks):

BW: -31.6lbs
    Waist: -5.25"

Winning weight loss strategy:

1. Average 100 cal/day more than last week

2. Eat 8 pizzas over the course of the week

3. Don't do any cardio

4. Barely lift

5. Chain yourself to your desk all week in a desperate attempt to get caught up on work

6. ?

7. Profit
    I think it's called "reverse dieting."

Also, do you get to go for 1RM's Week 10? If so, I'm excited to see where you end up. Especially with this extra calories/deload week leading up to it.

Edit: How does the new image embedding process work?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by broseph View Post
    I think it's called "reverse dieting."

Also, do you get to go for 1RM's Week 10? If so, I'm excited to see where you end up. Especially with this extra calories/deload week leading up to it.

Edit: How does the new image embedding process work?
    LOL. Pretty soon I'll be up to 5000 cal/day and ripped!

Yup, 1RMs this week. The extra calories weren't intentional, I was just a little low on average the week before and a little higher the next. I was a little nervous about the deload week, being in a deficit. Still not sure if it was necessary to go that light for a whole week but it's part of Andy's GGW program that I bastardized so I figured I'd keep it.

I don't know wtf is up with images lately. Seems broken.

10 Week Program - Week 10 (8/27/17 - 9/2/17)

Bench:
    275x1
    300x1ish
    300x1
    305x0

Well, that sucked.

The plan was to pick up my shoes from the cobbler and do squat and bench 1RMs today. Cobbler informed me that the shoes weren't dry yet (due to "humidity over the weekend") and needed to stay in the press another day. Unfortunately I have three weddings this weekend, Friday-Sunday. So I have to get my testing done before then. I decided that I would bench today and squat, press, and deadlift on Thursday. This is different from how I tested the lifts before which I was trying to keep consistent, but at least it will function as a mock meet and possibly help me with picking attempts for the Fall Classic.

Anyway, bench is the least affected by my shoes so I did that today. Warmed up to 275 and then planned on doing 300 and going for 315 after that, but 300 was a total disaster. Feet moving around, ass coming up off the bench, extremely uneven lockout. Felt like I brought the bar down too low on my chest and I hadn't rested very long beforehand so I decided to try 300 again and see if it was any better. It was, but my foot still moved around and it was a grinder. Tried to hit 305 so at least I could say I didn't get weaker, and messed with my setup to get my feet more secure and a tighter arch, but still failed the rep. -5lbs off my previous max.

I guess I'll never be strong...

starting strength coach development program
    'Grats on the Grippers!!

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast