starting strength gym
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy's Quest for 5/4/3/2

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Week 54 - Cycle 1 - Week 3 - Day 4 (Bench....replaced with Press only)

"Speed" Press - 135x3x5 (2 min rest. Not very fast, was still tired from squats last night)

LTE - 63x10x2 (Did these Rip style. Good weight. Debating 5lb vs 2.5lb jump next time)

DB Tricep Ext - 25x12x3 (Finally got 3x12, likely due to not having to bench)

Standing Alternating DB Curls - 25x12x4 (switched to dumbbells for some variety, liked it better)

Next workout
    - Squat LP - 285x5x3
    - DL (Singles Week) 355x1x3
    - SLDL - 185x8x2 (repeat to get more back tightness & get 8 reps)
    - Shrugs - 190x20x3 (or as close to that as I can get)

Week 55 - Cycle 2 - Week 1 - Day 1 (Squat)

Squat - 285x5x3 (Really focused on keeping my head down and hip drive. That was better, but still needs some work. Much better in not tipping forward. But....a few of my reps were parallel. Going to repeat this after my meet (next week) and try to get it with below parallel on all reps).

DL - 355x Fail (going for singles. couldn't break the bar off the ground. fuck.... Got 335x3x3 last Saturday. I suspect part of the problem is squats are really taking everything I have. And I left the gym for 90 minutes to pick up my son, then went back. By time I got back I think my body was done for the day).

Didn't do any SLDL or Shrugs given how shot I felt after failing DLs.

Next workout
    - Press - 147.5x5x3
    - LTE - 68x10x2
    - Standing Tricep Ext - 30x8x3 (no 27.5lb dumbbells...)
    - DB Curls - 30x8x4 (will work up to 30x12x4)
    Last edited by Randy Scheingold; 06-12-2016 at 04:47 PM.

Week 55 - Cycle 2 - Week 1 - Day 2 (Press)

Press -147.5x5x3 (These were the perfect weight for 3x5. No reps were ever in doubt, but I had to really work for a few of them. I basically just told myself I wasn't going to fail any reps. Wore wrist wraps on last set, didn't feel a big difference. Fairly substantial layback, going to research to see if it too much. I'll try to post a video later tonight.

Standing Alternating DB Curls - 30x8x4 (these were easier than I thought....I'll work these up to 30x12x4 then go 5lb heavier)

Tricep Pushdown 30x12x3 - Did these Rip style. Fairly easy, but I wasn't sure what weight to start at, will add 5lb next time.

LTEs (rip style) - 68x10x2 - These are getting hard, going to start to microload 2.5lbs so I don't stall out for a while.

I have the Chicago Summer Smash crossfit meet (hosted by SSC Dave A) next weekend, so only going to do 1 crazy light day in the middle of this week.

Next Workout:
    - Squat - 135x5x2
    - Press - 100x5x2
    - DL - 185x5 (just to get the blood flowing since I didn't get any worksets yesterday)

Plan for meet:
    - Squat Opener 295
    - Squat 2nd attempt - 315 or 320 (depending how opener feels)

- Press Opener 160
    - Press 2nd attempt - 175 or 180 (depending how opener feels)

- DL Opener - 325
    - DL 2nd Attempt - 345 or 350 (depending how opener feels)

Week 55 - Cycle 2 - Week 1 - Day 3 (Pre Meet - Light Day)

Note: Out of town in Dallas for a new project for work. I've found some good gyms via the forum I am going to try. But since this was a really light day, I thought I'd use the free hotel pass for the LA Fitness across the street. Wow.... It's been 10 months since I've been in a big commercial gym (normally in a small gym that has a pretty even split of Olympic, Starting Strength, Silly Bullshit and MMA in it. Tried to squat in the squat rack and couldn't even hit depth without hitting the built in safeties... had to walk it back like 5 feet....and squat outside the rack...

Squat - 135x5x2 (2 min rest, super easy)
    Press - 100x5x2 (2 min rest, easy)
    DL - 185x5 (not hard, but low back was fatigued...likely as it was only 2 days since my DL fails a few days prior)

In and out in 30 minutes.

I'll report back after the meet this weekend.

Awesome Side note: As a father's day gift from my in-laws (money) and a gift to myself (more money applied), I just ordered a Rogue Ohio Power Bar. Can't wait to use it, which unfortunately will not be for 1.5 weeks due to the meet and another business trip next week. But I am excited! Going to lock it up at the gym along with about 5 or 6 others who lock up their own bars.

Just wrapped up at Chicago's Bucktown Crossfit Summer Smash meet. (hosted by SSC Dave A)

It was a small/informal meet (think scaled down version of Fall Classic). I had a total blast. Only one or two other Starting Strength peeps there. Most specifically, Manveer, who is not only a super nice guy, but who totally kicked ASS! Came in 1st with about 350lb more than 2nd place. As for measly old me, I did manage to snag a 3rd place ranking, so pretty stoked about that. Lift summary below:

- Went 9 for 9
    - Set PRs in each lift
    - Topped my Fall Classic total by 95lb!!

Lift - Fall Classic - Summer Smash
    Weight - 196 - 210.5
    Squat - 285 - 330
    Press - 152.5 - 182
    DL - 345 - 365 (beltless this time....need to get the gut down or buy a bigger 3in belt )

Goals for Fall Classic (Oct 29th, Dave confirmed he is hosting in Chicago again!)
    - Squat - 375 (stretch goal of 405)
    - Press - 200 (stretch goal of 210....or body weight if I can lose a few pounds)
    - DL - 405 (stretch goal of anything over 405)

Final note. This meet was mostly crossfitters, which is probably why I actually placed. It is amazing how much the program really works if you follow it (both technique & programming). Lots of strong people here, who with some form tweaks would have done even better. But they were a really nice crowd and still way stronger than your average joe on the street.

Thanks for the kind words.

Great meeting you yesterday, Randy! 9 for 9 and PRs in each lift is about as good as it gets - really nice job. See you at the Fall Classic.

Logging 2 days worth here:

Note for both days: Out of town again, this time in Walnut Creek, CA for work. We stay at a really nice Renaissance with a good (globo type) gym. No bumpers or platforms & only has shitty bars. But at least there are 2 squat racks. And there are a shitload of beautiful woman around to inspire you to lift more We are only 30 minutes from Oakland so on one of my future trips I plan to get a session with Tom C set up. Didn't do it this time as I was still in recovery from the meet.

Week 56 - Cycle 2 - Week 2 - Day 1 (Bench?)

"Speed Press" - 135x3x5 (3 days after meet. should have been 137.5, but I didn't feel like travelling with my microplates. Bar speed slow on a few reps, but that wasn't surprising given this was only a few days post meet).
    Bench - Decided to try to bench again after 2 weeks off. Shoulder started to hurt at 185lb so racked it after 2 reps. Will give it another few weeks and try again. Overall shoulder is feeling much better, but I think I rushed my return.
    Tricep Pushdown - 42.5x12x3 (too easy, more weight next time)
    LTEs - 70x8x2 (these were hard, was too tired to grind out x10...repeat next time)

Week 56 - Cycle 2 - Week 2 - Day 2 (Squat)

Squat - 285x5x3 (3x5 PR! I did these 1.5 weeks ago but depth was parallel on at least 1/3 of the reps. Nailed depth on every single rep here. These were close to 5RM sets though. Took a good 4 to 5 minutes to catch my breath after each set! But, I did them. Moving to 290x5x3 this weekend. Really hope I can grind on my twice a week LP until I get 315x5x3 at a minimum. I have a family vacation in the 2 weeks, so that will give me a nice deload week which should help me plow through here).

Nothing else....out of time (early AM workout) and totally spent.

Next Workout:
    Squat - 290x5x3
    DL - 315x5x3 (with straps)
    SLDL - maybe...I don't think I'll have enough energy after 3x5 squats and 3x5 DLs

Other notes:
    1) elbows feeling better, not putting the bar so low on my shoulders seems to help
    2) My OHB arrived and is beautiful! First use will be when I bring it to my gym this Saturday. CAN'T WAIT TO USE IT!

Week 56 - Cycle 2 - Week 2 - Day 3 & 4 (Squat, Press & DL)

DOG SHIT workout. Very stressful morning led to completely crap workout.

Squat - 290x2.....(1 high, called it after these. Even 185 felt heavy today)

Press - 162.5xFAIL (couldn't even get 135x5 after the fail)

DL - 315x3....called it

Not sure if it was a mental think due to my stress level or if I am fatigued from the meet last weekend and Squat Volume PR on Wed Am. We'll find out next Tuesday when I try 290x5x3 again....

Next Workout:
    Squat - 290x5x3
    DL - 315x5x3 (with straps)

Week 56 - Cycle 2 - Week 3 - Day 1 (Squat)

Squat - 290x1, Fail, 260x5x3 (I reattempted 290x5x3 today and no dice. I had my first real FAIL on a squat, tipped forward to much lost leverage and had to set it on the pins. Ironically enough, this actually built my confidence. I've never really failed a squat before and now realize this was no big deal. i went down 1 inch deeper and crawled out from underneath. Since this was my 2nd failure in getting even 3 good reps at 290, I decided it was time for a reset. Took my LP back 30lbs to 260 and knocked out my 3x5. The 260 wasn't easy, but was never in doubt. I'll climb back up at 5lb jumps for 3 weeks and then try 290 again. it may be that me rerun at LP is coming to an end though)

Decided to not repeat DLs and just wait until next Saturday. I think my body is fatigued from the Squat LP + last weekend's Meet.

Next Workout
    Press - 137.5x3x5 (Speed Press)
    Bench - 155x5x3 (Going to try a light Bench and try to LP it back up slowly to see if my shoulder holds up)
    LTEs - 70x10x2
    Standing Tri Ext - 25x12x3 (or close to that)

starting strength coach development program
    Week 56 - Cycle 2 - Week 3 - Day 2 (Press & Bench)

Press - 162.5x3x3 (3 Rep PR!) - I missed this on Saturday (didn't get a single rep). I was supposed to Speed Presses tonight, but warm ups felt good and I was still pissed about Saturday, so I went for it. First 2 reps of each set were fine. 3rd rep on each set was a real grinder and even though the bar paused for a split second on each rep...I told myself I was not failing and I forced it up there. I wish I had the balls to do that for squat & dl....

Bench - 155x5x3 (restart LP) - First time benching in about 5.5 weeks. Took a break to heal up my right shoulder (AC joint arthritis). These were actually much harder than they should have been. Considering I stalled out at 245x5 and 270x1 6 weeks ago. I'm hoping this is just detraining and will come back quickly. Plan to bench twice a week with 10lb jumps for a bit, then tapering down to 5s...then 2.5s...

LTE - 70.5x10x2 - Hard but got them. Going to 73lb this weekend. (Note: I'm assuming the bar is 18lbs)

Tricep Pushdowns - 50x10x3 - These were much harder than 42.5x10x3. But this was after a bunch of other upper body stuff. Going to repeat to try to get 12x3

Standing DB Curls - 30x12x2 - Ran out of time to get my full 4x12 in...at least I got half in. these were fairly easy until reps 10+

Next Workout
    Squat - 265x5x3 (working up from reset)
    DL - 340x3x3

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast