starting strength gym
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 plate, 2 plates, 3 plates (4?)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Nice shoe and knee sleeve color coordination. I'm rocking the same color scheme, is your favorite color blue too?

Your press is coming along nicely. Some reps in your most recent squat set are questionable, but maybe it's the angle as you say.
    That's the thing: sometimes I'm on my way to the gym and suddenly realize, in a sea of blue, or gray, "Wait...for a man, there's such a thing as being a little too color coordinated" (notwithstanding some recent posts about men's clothing in "Joined a new gym last night..."). I wanted the Romaleos in basic black, but they were out of stock, so it was either blue, or red.

I always strive to get the power rack post vertical in the video, as a point of reference to check for true depth, but I really should avoid even the appearance of an excuse.

9/25/16
    Gym
    P day
    BW 194.4, BF% 25.7

P 2.0: 100x5, 90x2x5. The shrug and lockout look OK from this angle. That extension in my low back does not look OK. After watching this, I wore my belt higher on back offs. (I got the far post of the rack vertical in the shot, but I should have done that with the nearer post, since everything looks like it's on an angle).

P 2.0 100x5 9/25/16 - YouTube

DL: 295x1. There's video, but you can't unsee it. The fair question is, "Did I read PPST?" Yes, but I overlooked that DL the day after heavy squat puts me on the downside of the Stress-Adaptation-Recovery cycle. I have a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, and Plan D:

A: Do DL at home, on heavy SQ day, after the one hour or so it takes me to drive back from the gym. This would keep all the posterior chain Stress on that one day.

B: Do DL on light SQ day.

C: I don't know, alternate halting DL, rack pulls, and DL weekly.

D: Get my T checked.

I personally like to deadlift the same day I squat heavy (TM intensity day). I did it after this week, and it's messed up my recovery a bit. Deadlift on light squat day is tough. Your deadlift will feel more fresh (maybe), but then it'll affect the squat.

Why can't you deadlift at the gym? Not enough time?

I personally like to deadlift the same day I squat heavy (TM intensity day). I did it after this week, and it's messed up my recovery a bit. Deadlift on light squat day is tough. Your deadlift will feel more fresh (maybe), but then it'll affect the squat.

Why can't you deadlift at the gym? Not enough time?
    Yeah, that's option A. That's what I will try on Saturday.

If I squat heavy at the gym, then press or bench press, it just seems like I have no gas when I try and finish off with deadlift. I even tried about a 10 minute break while I sat and ate something like Gatorade chews or a Clif bar. But for some reason, when I tried taking a one hour break, the time it took to drive home, that really did the trick.

Default 1 plate, 2 plates, 3 plates (4?)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    Yeah, that's option A. That's what I will try on Saturday.

If I squat heavy at the gym, then press or bench press, it just seems like I have no gas when I try and finish off with deadlift. I even tried about a 10 minute break while I sat and ate something like Gatorade chews or a Clif bar. But for some reason, when I tried taking a one hour break, the time it took to drive home, that really did the trick.
    On LP, I had days when I would take a break and leave the gym for a few hours and come back to finish the session. That worked better than finishing the session the next day.

Just gotta do what works best for you. If the drive home helps to re-invigorate you, then by all means, keep on doing it

Edit: but the trick I've found for getting through long sessions is to start eating the carbs before the session starts and slowly eat during the session. I eat a few pieces of candy before I start, and slowly eat some more in between sets. Maybe the Gatorade or Cliff bar isn't kicking in quite fast enough if you have it after squat and bench.

On LP, I had days when I would take a break and leave the gym for a few hours and come back to finish the session. That worked better than finishing the session the next day.

Just gotta do what works best for you. If the drive home helps to re-invigorate you, then by all means, keep on doing it

Edit: but the trick I've found for getting through long sessions is to start eating the carbs before the session starts and slowly eat during the session. I eat a few pieces of candy before I start, and slowly eat some more in between sets. Maybe the Gatorade or Cliff bar isn't kicking in quite fast enough if you have it after squat and bench.
    Both of those things are definitely worth trying. So far my rule of thumb is to always have eaten 90 minutes before training. (Think I read Jordan say that in the nutrition forum). My habit on Saturday is to be at the gym 0830, after having finished breakfast 7 am. That breakfast is something like a protein bar and instant oatmeal (because complex carbs) with my coffee. But your simple carbs trick is intriguing.

9/27/16
    Home
    BP day
    BW 196, BF% 25.

BP: 175x5, 160x2x5. 175 ties my 5RM PR. Next time I'll start micro loading 1 pound.

Light SQ day: CANCELLED because broken water heater in my garage. I've heard people that know better than me say f--- the light day. Next scheduled training day Saturday morning.

10/1/16
    Gym
    Heavy SQ day
    BW 195.8, BF% 23.5 (I believe this is indicative of the FitBit scale's inaccuracy).

I tried waiting until before and during training to take in the day's first carbs. I had coffee, BCAAs, and water when I woke up. I had Gatorade chews before I trained. I sipped diluted Gatorade, BCAAs, creatine, and salt during training. Before each worksheet, I had a bite of a Clif bar. Overall, energy was great. (But I left without putting my bar away and felt the need to apologize to the gym community on our Facebook page).

SQ: 250x3, 225x2x5. Depth seems better to me than last week, at least on freeze frame or slo-mo.

SQ 250x3 10/1/16 - YouTube

DL: 295x3. I did these at home 1 hour after leaving the gym. I was optimistic that I'd get 5 but rep 4 didn't get above my patella. I'm going to the plan (C?) where I alternate haltings, floor pulls, and DLs weekly. I'll do these at the gym after heavy SQ. I actually skipped ahead to the plan (D?) where I get my T levels checked, since I had to go to the doctor anyways.

starting strength coach development program
    Was the triple planned? Looked like you could have hit that for a set of 8 if you wanted to.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast