Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2037

Thread: chromoly the intermidiot

Default chromoly the intermidiot

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    That's good work, Nanette.

The "Press Face" made me laugh! You'll get that 5 x 85 next time!
    Yes, for sure I'll get it next time (next cycle)! I am avoiding grinding my press too much because my low back and SI get annoyed by a serious layback press grind.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Nice press face. What do you think of Barbell Brigade?
    I love seeing other lifting faces. I think they're 1) hilarious and 2) pretty impressive. To see when someone is trying really hard... That is great!

I think Barbell is kind of pricy ($20 for a day pass; although $100 for monthly membership is more reasonable in LA) and the music is played really loud (it's hard to have a conversation with your training partner). The older deadlift platforms are dented but the newer ones are nahce.

Barbell provides a lot of bands, Slingshots, belts, different bars (but some of the really nice ones are locked up). So many attachments on racks/platforms/benches for "conjugate stuff." There's three competition benches (and an ER rack somewhere though I didn't see it yesterday), all pretty sweet. There's also supposedly some calibrated kilo plates around, but didn't see those either. The weights are all round iron, pound or kilo bumper plates.

I wish there were more squat cages; I'm not really a fan of the rig/safety situation in front of the mirror, but I understand you can fit a lot of people on it. Since it's now 24/7, I bet you can find a non-crowded time, but I imagine it's an unpleasant mess when it's full of people.

Would I pay $100/month? Yeah, probably if I made more money and lived east of Silver Lake. Not worth it to me right now though, as it's a 25 minute drive with absolutely no traffic (and much longer with traffic). The main point: there's not a lot of places in LA where you can train like in a serious lifting environment, surrounded by other people who are serious about lifting. $100 is still way cheaper than a CF box membership. Barbell Brigade: 10/10 would recommend if you're close by. Beats a globo gym by a lot. Net neutral with my university's main gym combined with my access to the PL team equipment, moral support from the team, location, and price.

Would I recommend if you're in town visiting? Depends on if you can stand globo gyms. I would go once, and then for the rest of the trip, get free day passes to 24 Hour Fitness/Equinox/LA Fitness/Gold's Gym. If you can get to Paul Horn's gym, 10/10 go there.
    Last edited by chromoly; 11-26-2016 at 09:39 AM.

That was a mighty fine session Nanette!

Congrats on dem PRs!

I'd also like to try a slingshot one day.

I went to BB once. Wasn't very impressed, especially given the $20 day pass fee. The deadlift platforms were those Rogue ones which are really bouncy and terrible. The plates slid around on the bar after rep 1 because they fit pretty loosely and the spring clips couldn't hold them in place.

Atmosphere wasn't as hard core as they try to portray. Lots of hipsters taking endless selfies instead of training. Silly bullshit like curling in the power rack and a large male squatting 135 against bands. But I've only been there once.

Location is pretty inconvenient for me too. I just wanted to see what all the hype was about.

So, if I am to make the jaunt up to LA to lift once or twice, you recommend Horn Strength? I had been thinking of checking out BB but now it seems maybe it's not worth it. I normally just get a free week pass at the Gold's in Santa Ana where my brother goes, but it's...less than fun there.

Nice lifting Nanette! Everything's coming along nicely, keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Yes, for sure I'll get it next time (next cycle)! I am avoiding grinding my press too much because my low back and SI get annoyed by a serious layback press grind.
    Sometimes it is difficult to stop grinding just to protect the low back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
    I'd also like to try a slingshot one day.
    DO IT DO IT.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    I went to BB once. Wasn't very impressed, especially given the $20 day pass fee. The deadlift platforms were those Rogue ones which are really bouncy and terrible. The plates slid around on the bar after rep 1 because they fit pretty loosely and the spring clips couldn't hold them in place.

Atmosphere wasn't as hard core as they try to portray. Lots of hipsters taking endless selfies instead of training. Silly bullshit like curling in the power rack and a large male squatting 135 against bands. But I've only been there once.

Location is pretty inconvenient for me too. I just wanted to see what all the hype was about.
    I didn't see too much crazy dumb stuff when I was there this time or the last time I was there. I saw a dude using the SSB with one plate and a bunch of chains. Everyone else was doing normal stuff. BB got two new platforms with hardwood in the center. If I lived closer and didn't have my free student gym membership, I'd probably pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by anniemichael View Post
    So, if I am to make the jaunt up to LA to lift once or twice, you recommend Horn Strength? I had been thinking of checking out BB but now it seems maybe it's not worth it. I normally just get a free week pass at the Gold's in Santa Ana where my brother goes, but it's...less than fun there.
    If you're in OC, I would suggest Juggernaut. $20 for drop-in (same price as BB), but you can do a 5x drop-in for $65. If you come up to LA, I would train at Horn's with you. BB is fun, and if you have a training partner, a fun lift date. Worth going to once if you're curious.

Quote Originally Posted by damufunman View Post
    I like this image quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    Sometimes it is difficult to stop grinding just to protect the low back.
    Yes, I know that feeling. But I would rather not get injured than injure myself from a press grind. I tend to twist under the bar when fatigued and doing a limit press... I don't want to end up hurting something and then be out of commission for weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    If I ever show up to barbell brigade, I will be wearing hot pants with a hot dog print on them and a fishnet tank top.
    Philosophical Question of the Day: Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Philosophical Question of the Day: Is a hot dog a sandwich?
    Are they even food? I'll take a crappy burger over the world's best hot dog any day.

Default chromoly the intermidiot

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Are they even food? I'll take a crappy burger over the world's best hot dog any day.
    Have you ever had an LA hot dog? Best eaten late at night as an alternative to street tacos (say you're not feeling tacos. It happens sometimes!). Bacon-wrapped with grilled onions and peppers. They are amazing. Apparently it's not as good as the Mexican original, which has beans, guacamole, tomatoes, and more.

---
    Sunday 11/27 (8 weeks out)

BW: 136.2 (AM), 138 (post-training)

Volume Squat
    5 x 5 x 192.5

Volume Press
    5 x 5 x 72.5

Conventional DL (no hook DOH, no belt, in Romaleos)
    3 x 5 x 200

Cold in the gym today. I tried wearing shorts, and got too sweaty and yet cold and clammy in between sets so I put on sweatpants.

Nothing too fancy today. Worked to keep my knees out during squats, seems to help with the hips back problem. Accidentally tempo squatted the first set, which made keeping my knees out much easier... but the weight felt much heavier. Regular squats after set 1 (but my knees were the best in the first set.)

Press felt heavy today. Need push the bar "back" and also get my head through. *sigh*

Forgot my straps again, so swapped snatch grip with slightly heavier conventional. I still have a pretty crazy back pump going on. Working to get my lockout as "no nonsense" as Annie's... I think I'm too violent at the top to be "no nonsense", maybe that means I just need more weight???
    Last edited by chromoly; 11-27-2016 at 05:55 PM.