starting strength gym
Page 51 of 204 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: chromoly the intermidiot

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The death-lift intensity day can surely be full of pain, but misery?
    I don't know about that!

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    The death-lift intensity day can surely be full of pain, but misery?
    I don't know about that!
    Pain when hooking and misery when stalled for 8 weeks...
    Fun and exciting when pulling progressively heavier fahves every week. No more than 5 though, that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by damufunman View Post
    Pain when hooking and misery when stalled for 8 weeks...
    Fun and exciting when pulling progressively heavier fahves every week. No more than 5 though, that's enough.
    I don't feel the pain while hooking. It's usually after I release my hook grip that some feeling comes back into my thumbs.

Fahves are alright. Sixes are more like it, if you have problems counting like I do.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Will restate. Deadlift day is 110% pain and misery.
    Well, alright then. If it's 110!

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Will restate. Deadlift day is 110% pain and misery.
    LOL!

( Yes, I did laugh! )

Default chromoly the intermidiot

Saturday September 10 @ Horn S&C
    7 weeks out!!!

BW: 61.0 kg

Squat ID
    2 x 3 x 215; 3RM PR

Officially hit my third attempt (97.5 kg/214.5 lbs) from April as a triple. Half a pound more than that, even! Two wheelin' for reps, coming soon.

Excited, even if my knees did go in a bit, and on some of the reps I got loose (see set 2, rep 2) and bounced out of the hole again.

Videos featuring the melodious coaching/shouting of Paul Horn and Ness (with someone else).

Also, Paul commented on my "narrow" stance for squats. I guess it's narrow, but it's not that narrow, is it?

Set 1

Set

Press ID
    2 x 3 x 84; 3RM PR

I was told to "not wuss out" and do the 2.0 press. After a short affair with Team 1.0, I may try to stick it out a bit longer with Team 2.0. Mostly, I just need MOAR hips.

I need to focus on 1) getting back under the bar faster and 2) don't rest the bar on your body between reps. That means more neutral wrists, almost resting my triceps on my lats (but keeping the upper body engaged). For me, the bar should be floating, not resting on my body (like I'm used to doing)

But my heels never came up the whole day!!! So that's a positive.

Set 1

Set 2

Deadlift
    5 x 247.5 (sort of)
    2 x 5 x 207.5

Tried this "new" thing today: it's called following the SS model, i.e., in my case, that means not dropping my ass. Fuck is that hard! My back tends to round a bit more with this set up. Looks like I sort of push the bar a bit forward at the beginning too. The bar was getting away from me a bit on the right side (see below)

Not dropping my ass also seems to have given me some weird pain/cramp in my upper side-boob/pec area. It doesn't hurt anymore, but it feels kinda weird. No sounds/pops/clicks or anything when I was pulling, but I felt it at lockout for reps 3, 4, and 5. Less so for my back-off volume.

Who knows. SS model for pulling probably feels better in heeled shoes, maybe I should've worn those instead of freedom.

7 weeks out, is that too close to be experimenting with switching my shoes and my deadlift form to not drop my hips??? In general, lots of things to think about/work on.

Btw, Allen. Today's deadlifts were 110% misery when I tried not to drop my hips. And pain for some reason in my upper side-boob. So you were right!!
    Last edited by chromoly; 09-10-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Squat ID
    2 x 3 x 215; 3RM PR

Press ID
    2 x 3 x 84; 3RM PR

Deadlift
    5 x 247.5 (sort of)
    2 x 5 x 207.5
    Congrats on the PRs! Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Deadlift
    5 x 247.5 (sort of)
    2 x 5 x 207.5

Tried this "new" thing today: it's called following the SS model, i.e., in my case, that means not dropping my ass. Fuck is that hard! My back tends to round a bit more with this set up. Looks like I sort of push the bar a bit forward at the beginning too. The bar was getting away from me a bit on the right side (see below)

Not dropping my ass also seems to have given me some weird pain/cramp in my upper side-boob/pec area. It doesn't hurt anymore, but it feels kinda weird. No sounds/pops/clicks or anything when I was pulling, but I felt it at lockout for reps 3, 4, and 5. Less so for my back-off volume.

Who knows. SS model for pulling probably feels better in heeled shoes, maybe I should've worn those instead of freedom.

7 weeks out, is that too close to be experimenting with switching my shoes and my deadlift form to not drop my hips??? In general, lots of things to think about/work on.

Btw, Allen. Today's deadlifts were 110% misery when I tried not to drop my hips. And pain for some reason in my upper side-boob. So you were right!!
    I like your old deadlift setup better, even if it's not SS approved. Looking at your last deadlift session at 245 and the first rep of this set, you pulled the crap out of that bar. Compare the bar speeds. Now, perhaps over time you will be able to do the same with the SS approved setup, but why mess with it if you're maintaining a flat back with your old setup?

You're 7 weeks out and you have some solid momentum. If changing your deadlift setup to one with hips higher and with heeled shoes causes you to lose momentum going into the meet, that would really suck... and for what purpose? Who cares about a little hip rise if you can pull more weight that way with a flatter back to boot? As I understand it the reason for not dropping hips is so that the bar doesn't get pushed forward of mid-foot with your shins, but I don't see you doing that on your 245 set or the first rep of the 247.5 set.

Just 2c from a mediocre deadlifter...
    Last edited by manveer; 09-11-2016 at 05:22 AM.

When you get to the milestone (and you will), I look forward to video of your 2 plate SQ. I'm sure it will generate onlookers at the gym. Admittedly, at my gym, I couldn't help but do a double take when I saw a strong young lady had a 3 plate SQ loaded up in her power rack.

So, the brief affair with P 1.0 was just a rebound fling?

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    just pervin out over heah
    Fair enough, I suppose it's a little bit of "that's what she said."

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    Congrats on the PRs! Good work!
    Thanks Jan

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    I like your old deadlift setup better, even if it's not SS approved.

Compare the bar speeds. Now, perhaps over time you will be able to do the same with the SS approved setup, but why mess with it if you're maintaining a flat back with your old setup?

You're 7 weeks out and you have some solid momentum. If changing your deadlift setup to one with hips higher and with heeled shoes causes you to lose momentum going into the meet, that would really suck... and for what purpose? Who cares about a little hip rise if you can pull more weight that way with a flatter back to boot? As I understand it the reason for not dropping hips is so that the bar doesn't get pushed forward of mid-foot with your shins, but I don't see you doing that on your 245 set or the first rep of the 247.5 set.
    I probably will stick to my old set up. 7 weeks out is a little too late to be messing around with too much. The old set up has my dropping my hips but yes, the bar path stays straighter. Not to mention your very valid point about bar speed/pulling the crap out of the bar.

But I think some experimenting is due after the meet. I already decided that soon, I'm going to switch my weekly pulling to shoes with more support (at the very least, real laces). I've been on a quest for a stronger, flatter-backed deadlift for a while now; when I'm not prepping for a meet, I'll think about implementing some tweaks to make my deadlift closer to a SS-approved deadlift.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    When you get to the milestone (and you will), I look forward to video of your 2 plate SQ. I'm sure it will generate onlookers at the gym. Admittedly, at my gym, I couldn't help but do a double take when I saw a strong young lady had a 3 plate SQ loaded up in her power rack.

So, the brief affair with P 1.0 was just a rebound fling?
    I have done one squat single with 2 plates before as a gym PR. But not for reps and not on a platform!

You train at Atlanta Barbell sometimes right? Lots of strong people there! I would do lots of 'mirin' if I trained there.

Re P 1.0: Yeah. I'm gonna call it a brief rebound fling (but no rebound, because it's a strict press!). My breakup with 2.0 was short, because all it took was intensity day to realize that I need whatever very slight hip kick I get to press maximal weight. Strict press is a fahne movement, but I just need and rely on a small rebound. Lucky for us, the Press 2.0 and I got some good coaching yesterday so we can work on our relationship.