starting strength gym
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Defeating My Brother In Glorious Lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    intensity:

Squat: 400x2x2 - feeling pretty good about these. Next week I may record my attempt at 405x2x2 and post it on my brother's FB shit-talking him. I'm wondering if a decent plan once I hit that might to be keep doing doubles and singles, increasing by 5 lbs every week, but then also doing a set at 405 AMRAP until I hit 5 and beat him... Deviating pretty far from the Texas Method at this point, though. And I wonder if that would be too much stress.

Bench: 226x2 then 230x2x1. Bleh. These felt better than last week at least. Up until now I've been splitting my time between the bench and press, alternating weeks, but I wonder if focusing on one might give me better results.

After that I fucked around with PCs because it felt weird not doing some sort of pull. I did 176x2x2. My bro-calculation determined this was the optimal level to both do too little volume to achieve any training effect, and also lift too heavy and reinforce my already bad technique. Mission accomplished.

Volume day, and it was pretty much a wash.

Bench: 215 5x5x5x4x3 which is somehow worse than last week.

Squat: 5x5x4 and then I gave up because I'm a pussy.

Halting Deadlifts: 352x5. Probably had 8x in me, but I kind of tweaked my back on the squats. Anyways this is clearly the weakest part of my lift. I bet if I can improve on this, my DL will shoot up a bit. I'll probably try it again next week.

Actually, I'll probably redo everything next week. Maybe it was my diet yesterday? I got all my calories in, but due to social stuff it was very high fat and low in carbs. I felt pretty low energy so maybe...

Anyways fuck the Texas Method. I hope my appartment burns down while I'm sleeping so I don't have to do it anymore.

Seems like you're making good progress. Your squat seems really strong in comparison to your BP/DL. Wish I could do that...

Quote Originally Posted by brettj View Post
    Anyways fuck the Texas Method. I hope my appartment burns down while I'm sleeping so I don't have to do it anymore.
    Hahaha! Pretty much my feeling all the time. But it is too good to not do (if you can manage recovery), so it's all a matter of just getting it done.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Bergstedt View Post
    Hahaha! Pretty much my feeling all the time. But it is too good to not do (if you can manage recovery), so it's all a matter of just getting it done.

Keep up the good work!
    Thanks man! Definitely love/hate with TM, but I'm sure you get that, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    Seems like you're making good progress. Your squat seems really strong in comparison to your BP/DL. Wish I could do that...
    Well I've definitely been prioritizing my squat due to my competition. Grass is always greener because I wish I had a decent bench.

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Intensity day:

squat: FOUR PLATES MOTHERFUCKERS 405x2x2 405x2x2 - YouTube

bench: 225x2 236.5x1x2 meh

Quote Originally Posted by brettj View Post
    Intensity day:

squat: FOUR PLATES MOTHERFUCKERS 405x2x2 405x2x2 - YouTube

bench: 225x2 236.5x1x2 meh
    Goodness. Your brother should grovel in the dust!

Yesterday I did:

Bench: 215 5x5 - missed last rep

Today:

Squat: 355 5x5

Haltings: 285x8 and 300x8

Did a light day yesterday, and forgot to record it:

Squats: light shit

Press: 145x3x5 - easy

Chins: 6x6x6 - meh - considering I keep gaining weight, I'm not too concerned about these not going up.

Then did Prowler pushes: 5 30 second pushes with 140 lbs on the sled, 1:30 seconds rest in between

starting strength coach development program
    Intensity:

Squats: 410x2x2 - felt easier than last week even. Definitely have at least one more week of doubles in me

Bench: 231x2x2. (I also realized I mistyped last week... It was actually 231x1 not 236). These actually felt good. Based on this n=1 I'm going to keep trying MOAR volume. Bench 5x5 for volume, and then do heavy presses on my light day. I also concentrated on really controlling the bar on the way down. It made it more of a paused bench, and I could tell I wasn't getting that stretch reflex, but it also helped keep things tight so I didn't hit my chest and throw my whole set up off.

Felt weird not pulling, and I hope I'm not totally screwing my pulls, but Tuesday I'll be doing heavy rack pulls at least.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast