starting strength gym
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Defeating My Brother In Glorious Lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by brettj View Post
    Got the flight lists for my meet Nov 12. I am right before my brother, which is lame since it gaves him an advantage as far as changing his attempt selections to beat me.
    What are your/his projected openers and attempts? What was your previous total? What was his previous total?

How progress going bro?

Quote Originally Posted by appleswag96 View Post
    How progress going bro?
    Ugh.. been a busy week and my deadlifts sucked... Not really how I want to feel going into my last week, but them's the breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by CamLeslie View Post
    What are your/his projected openers and attempts? What was your previous total? What was his previous total?
    Okay so, last March he totalled 1036 (408/210/419). Sounds like he is shooting for about 440/230/500 this time around but he's being cagey about it.

My best squat so far in training is 445, but I did 455 before even starting this training block. I'm positive I can hit 465, pretty sure about 475, and there's an outside chance I can hit 485 based on how I feel that day I guess. So I'm thinking 425, 465, then 475-485 for attempts on the squat.

I've hit 265 on bench in training, although I rated it an RPE 10. I think there's a chance I can squeeze a bit more out of it, but not sure. I'm thinking 245, 260, 270-275 for bench attempts.

Then there's my deadlifts... I've hit 445 in training, which I rated a 9 I think, but this lift is so inconsistent for me. I'm basically hoping that after a week of deloading, and with the adrenaline of the day I won't do so badly, but I'm going to be conservative about my attempts here. Was thinking 405 as an opener, then 435-445, and ??? based on how those go.

So anyways if my attempts go well, I think I'm ahead enough in my squat and bench to make up for his insane deadlift, but getting red lights or my deadlifts could fuck me over...

As an older brother myself you can't let your younger bro beat you in this meet. Whatever it takes to win. lol. What programming will you follow after running out jordans template? i bought his templates and will hop on his strength one, once I finish linear progression again.

Quote Originally Posted by appleswag96 View Post
    As an older brother myself you can't let your younger bro beat you in this meet. Whatever it takes to win. lol. What programming will you follow after running out jordans template? i bought his templates and will hop on his strength one, once I finish linear progression again.
    I beat him and the natural order of the universe continues. I'm actually probably going to try out the endurance template... I'm applying for the cops right now and I'm going to train for their stupid cardio fitness test they do.

Hope you get something out of the templates. I've definitely liked them even following them inconsistently. If you do a log I'd be interested in following and seeing how you find it.

Meet Report:

Totalled 535kg (1179lbs)

Squat: Hit my 190kg (419lbs) opener easily, then went for 205 (452) - easy. Decided to try 215 (474) for my final attempt and missed it. I think if it was one kilo less I would have made it. Real grinder...

Bench: 105 easy, 115 easy, 120 (264) easy. I went too conservative here. I guess I got shook by last weekend when I tried 120 at what was meant to be a 9RPE and failed it. I almost wonder if I had 125 in me based on how fast 120 went up... 122.5 at least...

Deadlift: 180 easy. 200 easy. 210 (463) at about a 9 to 9.5. Went slow but had a bit more in me. This was the big surprise for the evening. Based on training I thought my deadlift would suck, but that's an 18lb PR for me I believe. 45lb improvement since starting Jordan's templates.

Anyways the whole thing was a great experience. I beat my brother solidly, but he put up a pretty awesome 227.5 (502) deadlift. Everyone was nice and supportive, and I didn't fuck anything up too badly. Definitely a really long day, and I'm now up in the middle of the night because of the caffeine pills I took. My only regret is not hitting my squat third attempt so I don't have a PR for this training block, but still feeling good.

Nice man. Glad you could beat him, set some PR's and learn some stuff for next cycle of getting stronger. Onward and upward!

Congrats on the meet. Going 8 for 9 is solid, and the icing on top of trouncing your lil bro.

Okay, back from Mexico and back to training. I'm going to run the endurance block from the BBM templates until I run the police fitness test. I'm going to skip the low stress week since sitting around in Mexico was pretty low stress. I'll have to buy a pass to my old gym I guess though, because I do not have any cardio equipment currently.

starting strength coach development program
    Cardio is so fucking boring. This is my week so far.

Monday:

Squat: 405x1, 355x5x2

Seated Press: 135x1, 120x5x2

6min chin-up Amrap, did a bunch I forget how many

Tuesday:

Prowler pushes: 30s 3:1 rest ration for 20min. FUCK. Had to lie on the ground trying not to die after.

Wednesday:

Deadlift: 405x1, 355x5x2

Floor Press: 135x8, 155x5, 135x8. These are weird. I thought I'd be able to handle heavier weights because of the reduced range of motion, but so far no... Maybe I'm doing them wrong? Or just not used to them?

6min Pendlay row AMRAP 155xsomething

Today:

35min rowing at RPE 6. So fucking boring. Maybe I'll turn the rower around next time so I can watch people in the gym instead of staring at the wall. Seriously. What the fuck is wrong with endurance athletes? BOOOOOOORRRRRIIIINNGGGGGGGGGG.

Maybe my brother is down for some sort of cardio contest to motivate me because I hate this.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast