starting strength gym
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Will I stand up next to a mountain?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My goal is to join the 1000# club by the end of the year.

Wednesday November 2
    Light day

Squats 265x5x3 - YES
    Press 140x5x3 - YES
    Power Snatch 125x5x3 - YES

Everything went well. Squats were light, presses were solid, and snatches started to feel more natural. Planning to do farmers walks on Friday for the pulls, for variety and improving grip strength.

Friday November 4
    Medium day

Squats 295x5x3 - YES
    Close Grip Bench Press 215x5x3 - NO - 215x(5,3,0)
    Farmer's Walks (first time doing this) - YES

Kind of a strange day. I hadn't done CG bench presses for a while, and tried to go up 2# from my previous high, but failed. I will do regular bench press (next will be 195#) on Mondays and Fridays until it overtakes my CG BP, which is now stalled at 213. I believe that will help me get to the 1000# club more quickly, and reach the 225# bench milestone more quickly as well.

That 225# bench isn't a big deal for most men who lift, but it will be a big deal for me.

For farmer's walks, I started with two 50# dumbbells and carried them around the room, maybe about a 75 foot walk. HELLO FOREARMS! I made it around the room the first time, but had to put them down early the second time with the same weight. Then I picked up lighter and lighter dumbbells for subsequent walks. Next time, I plan to start with 50# dumbbells again, then go down to 45#, then 40#, and so on, until maybe 15# at the end. I know it's really assistance work instead of a full pull, but it's exactly the kind of assistance work that I need the most, and it won't interfere with deadlifts on heavy days.

Tuesday November 8
    Heavy day

Planned - Actual
    Squat 325x5x3 - YES
    Bench 195x5x3 - YES
    Deadlift 325x5 - YES

A fantastic day. Had to delay this workout by a day due to other commitments. I will do my light day on Thursday, medium on Saturday morning, and come back to heavy day next Monday.

Friday November 11
    Medium day

Squats 295x5x3 - YES
    Bench Press 200x5x3 - YES
    Farmer's Walks 50/45/40/35/30/25/20/15/10 - NO

Missed my light day this week due to scheduling conflicts. On this medium day, squats were solid, and the bench press (standard grip) was good, too. I will go for a 205x5x3 bench with standard grip on Monday, and continue with standard grip benches every Monday and Friday until I pass the 213x5x3 that I had with close grip bench presses before.

When I did farmer's walks, I grabbed two dumbbells and walked around the room, starting with 50s and going down by 5 each time to 10s, taking about 90 seconds of rest between walks. I had to put down the 35s before making it back to the dumbbell rack, so I will use the same weights next week. For all other weights, I was able, sometimes barely, to make it back to the rack in time.

Monday November 14
    Heavy day

Planned - Actual
    Squat 330x5x3 - YES
    Bench 205x5x3 - YES
    Deadlift 330x5 - YES

Made all of my lifts and got back on schedule. Felt good, ready to keep going up.

Wednesday November 16
    Light day

Squats 275x5x3 - YES
    Press 145x5x3 - YES
    Power Snatch 130x5x3 - YES

Bit of a grind today. I did the power snatches first, because all of the racks were in use and the platform was open. My form wasn't great on my work sets, but I did it. Thinking about whether I want to go up 5# and do 3x3 again next time, or start micro-loading or reduce volume.

Squats were OK, but they seemed more taxing than light day should be. Presses were a challenge, but very satisfying. I'm close to my previous PR as a novice, and now wondering whether I should keep trying to go up 5# with reduced volume (3x3) or micro-load. I *think* PPST recommends keeping the weight increases as constant as possible, while reducing volume, but I'll re-read the section on HLM and review the example programs there.

Friday November 18
    Medium day

Squats 295x5x3 - YES
    Bench Press 210x5x3 - NO
    Snatch Grip Deadlift 225x5 - YES

Squats were fine. I stopped in the middle of my bench warmups because my left shoulder was hurting. I've had pain in that shoulder for a while, but it hasn't bothered me much when lifting before. It's the worst when I'm lying in bed. I got a tennis ball yesterday and tried rolling on it last night and again this evening, and it seems to help a bit for a while, but then the pain comes back. I'm not sure if it's just tightness, impingement, or something else, but I'll try benching again on Monday and see if it's better by then.

In my repetitive quest to find a pulling exercise for medium day, I decided to give snatch grip deadlifts a try. Wolf mentioned doing them in his log, and since I'm already doing deads and power snatches on heavy and light days, this seemed like a nice middle ground. The work set was challenging, but doable, and I will increase the load next time. (I can't do power cleans, due to immobility, long forearms, or both.)

So kind of a disappointing day, but not all bad.

Monday November 21
    Heavy day

Planned - Actual
    Squat 335x5x3 - YES
    Bench 205x5x3 - NO - 185x4x1
    Deadlift 335x5 - YES

Squats and deadlifts were great. I'd been having more and more pain in my left shoulder over the past 2-3 weeks, and searched the forums for ideas. I found one thread where Rip mentioned that bench presses are hard on the shoulders, and then this one:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...-pressing.html

In that thread, Mark Hurling's suggestion to use a narrow grip sounded good, and now that I think about it, that might have been why I started with a narrow grip in the first place during my novice progression. At any rate, I decided to go back to a close grip for bench presses on heavy day, and it was much nicer to my shoulder than the conventional width. I stopped at 185x4 because my shoulder started to talk to me a little bit, and I wanted to give it more time to heal for next week.

Ultimately, I won't make my goal of reaching the 1000# club by the end of the year, but I will see how close I can get. If I keep adding 5#/wk to squats and deadlifts, they will go up to 360# each, and bench presses *might* be close to 225 by then, which would be a total of 945#, and regardless of where I am by the end of the year, the goal will remain 1000#.

Wednesday November 23
    Light day

Squats 275x5x3 - YES
    Press 150x5x3 - YES !!NEW PR!!
    Power Snatch 135x5x3 - NO

Squats were fine. I *finally* did 150# on the press for three sets of five. It's been a long time coming, and all three sets were solid. Felt great. During my last set of warm-ups for power snatches, a triple at 115#, I started thinking about, and feeling, my left shoulder after the first rep, so I stopped there. It may just take a while to feel better.

starting strength coach development program
    My goal is to join the 1000# club by the end of February 2017

Monday December 5
    Rebuilding day #1

Squats 225x5x3 - YES
    Bench Press 135x3 - YES
    Deadlift 225x5 - YES

Got sick on Thanksgiving and didn't feel well enough to lift until today. Last year, after a 2 month layoff, I returned to the gym and lifted WAY too heavy and was horribly sore for 2 1/2 weeks. So this time, I cut the weight down more sharply after a 12 day layoff. My plan is to see how sore I am tomorrow, hopefully not much, and then if my body feels ready, increase every lift on every lifting day, until I get close to my prior heavy day work sets, and then go back to a HLM program.

It was obvious that I wouldn't join the 1000# club by the end of this year, but the end of February is a good target. I should be able to achieve that goal in that time, and Lent begins March 1st, which would be a good time to set the next goal.
    Last edited by ICTRob; 12-05-2016 at 11:01 PM. Reason: grammar

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast