starting strength gym
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Will I stand up next to a mountain?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My goal is to join the 1000# club by the end of February 2017

Wednesday December 7
    Rebuilding day #2

Squats 255x5x3 - YES
    Press 115x3 - YES
    Deadlift 255x5 - YES

I had a bit of soreness after Monday, but it wasn't bad. Today went well, and I'll push the weights up again on Friday, either by 30# each again, or maybe 20# each, or some combination of the two.

Friday December 9
    Rebuilding day #3

Squats 285x5x3 - YES
    Bench Press 165x3 - YES
    Deadlift 285x5 - YES

Everything went well. An old-timer at the gym told me that my (regular) deadlifts were basically straight-leg deadlifts. He thought I was basically just using my lower back instead of my legs, and recommended that I sit down lower when I start. That could be why my deadlifts have never gotten heavier than my squats. My lower back isn't very strong, but my legs are, comparatively, so if I start in a position that uses more of my legs and less of my back, then I should be able to lift more.

I will try to close my knees a bit more and put more work on my legs, and go by feel. I'm thinking about getting a smart phone to record my lifts, which would probably help even more.

Monday December 12
    Rebuilding day #4

Squats 315x3 - YES
    Press 135x3 - YES
    Deadlift 315x5 - YES

Everything went well. Thinking about whether to do one or two more workouts this week to bring myself (nearly) back to where I was last month. Also thinking about doing heavy deadlifts on a day separate from heavy squats, when I get back to the HLM schedule.

Monday December 26
    Rebuilding day #1 - again

Squats 225x3x5 - YES
    Bench Press 135x3x5 - YES
    Deadlift 225x5 - YES

Got sick again. Last time my voice sounded like Barry White, but this time it was a stomach problem that had been passed around my family. I plan to do the same kind of rebuilding workouts as before - do squats and deadlifts every time, and alternate presses and bench presses, increasing the weight every workout like a novice progression, until I get near the top of my previous progress. So on Wednesday, my plan is to do squats and deadlifts at 255, and presses at 115. If that feels good, then Friday will be squats and deadlifts at 285, and bench presses at 155 or 165, and so on.

I'm glad I went to the gym today, for the first time in 2 weeks.

Wednesday December 28
    Rebuilding day #2

Squats 255x3x5 - YES
    Press 115x3x5 - YES
    Deadlift 255x5 - YES

Everything went well. Plan to increase squat and deadlift work ses to 285 on Friday, and do either 155 or 165 on the bench press.

Friday December 30
    Rebuilding day #3

Squats 285x3x5 - YES
    Bench Press 175x3x5 - YES
    Deadlift 285x5 - YES

This was a really good day. Squats and deadlifts were a bit more challenging, so I might go up to 305 instead of 315 next time. I'll definitely need straps for the deadlift work set next time, as my grip started slipping in my right hand on rep #4 today. During warmups on the bench press, the weight felt light, so I jumped up to 175 instead of 165, and it felt good. I'm using a close grip on all of my bench presses, with thumbs on the smooth part of the bar, to keep my shoulders (mostly) happy. On Monday I will do presses at 135, and then on Wednesday I will bench somewhere between 185 and 195.

Tuesday January 3
    Rebuilding day #4

Squats 315x3x5 - YES
    Press 135x3x5 - YES
    Deadlift 315x5 - YES

The weight felt much heavier today, but I got through it fine. Lifted one day late due to scheduling, and plan to lift again on Friday with increased squats and deadlifts, either at 320 or 325, and bench presses somewhere between 185 and 195. My work sets are now at about 90% of my PR work sets. I'm thinking about lifting twice again next week, increasing everything (still alternating bench presses with presses), and then...

I would go back to a HLM-style weekly program, but this time rotating the lifts so each day will have one H, one L, and one M. Something like this:

Mondays - Heavy squats, Medium incline presses, Light SomethingLikeADeadlift
    Wednesdays - Light squats, Heavy bench presses, Medium SomethingLikeADeadlift
    Fridays - Medium squats, Light presses, Heavy deadlifts

The main idea here is that heavy squats *and* deadlifts on the same day are just too much, so I would separate them by at least two or three rest days. I'm still struggling to find "light" and "medium" pulls - maybe chins? They will need to be assisted, because I can't lift my own fat ass for just one, not even close. I do have bands...

Friday January 6
    Rebuilding day #5

Squats 325x3x5 - YES
    Bench Press 190x3x5 - YES
    Deadlift 325x5 - YES

One of my best days in a long time. I forgot my gym bag when going to work this morning, so had to come home between work and the workout. Then I forgot my straps. Squats were challenging but never in doubt, and bench presses were pretty solid. My wrists shook a little bit when I unracked the bar for my final set, but once I got them set, it was good. Still using a close grip, and my left shoulder felt fine. I also paused most of my reps, even on work sets, because that felt better for some reason.

My major form issue on bench presses is probably that I don't maintain an arched back, particularly on work sets. It's a flatso. Even with that issue, I should be able to work my way back up to my PR of 213x3x5 and beyond, particularly if/when I start reducing the reps.

Deadlifts were a mental and physical challenge, because I've been using straps for a few months, and I've never done more than 300x5 without them. The bar had deep, sharp knurling, and I practiced the mixed grip on part of my warmups. For the last set of the night, I did the first two reps with double overhand, then the last three with a mixed grip, and felt really good about just getting it done.

Next week I plan to work out on Tuesday and Friday again, increasing everything by 5 each time, and then again the following Tuesday, followed by a medium day Friday the 20th, before resuming a HLM schedule on Monday the 23rd.

Tuesday January 10
    Rebuilding day #6

Squats 330x3x5 - YES
    Press 140x3x5 - YES
    Deadlift 315x5 - NO, skipped

The weights are heavy now. After presses, the platform was still occupied, so I decided to defer deadlifts until Friday, when I will also do bench presses, increasing the work sets for both by 5 lbs. I might also do some light squats that day, and then go back to a normal intermediate schedule next week.

I'm thinking about doing something like one lift per day instead of HLM, to make it easier to add cardio, but getting better rest and nutrition would have a stronger effect.

starting strength coach development program
    My goal is to join the 1000# club by the end of February 2017 - but I probably need to adjust my goal

Thursday January 18
    Rebuilding day #7

Squats 315x3x5 - YES
    Bench Press 185x3x5 - YES
    Deadlift 315x5 - YES

Allowed life to distract me for a week and a half, so I backed down the weights to what felt manageable. I will do squats/presses/deadlifts on Monday next week, increasing squats and pulls to 320, and doing either 140 or 145 for my press work sets.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast