starting strength gym
Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Way to the Top

Default Long Way to the Top

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    41 year old, 6'1, 195# very active male. Lots of outdoor pursuits and hobbies: Backcountry hunting, cycling, rock climbing amongst others. Present goals are focused on making the body generally stronger and bullet proof from injuries.I just did a cycle of HLM as a transition out of Advanced Novice. I kind of screwed up the end as I didn't taper the sets down properly and also got a bit sick (possibly as a result of over aggressive intensity) when I should have been peaking out. I took an extra week after being sick and deload weights before starting TM. I started TM today with conservative reset numbers.

10/30 VD
    Backsquat
    5x5 255#

CG Bench Press
    5x5 195#

Power Cleans
    5x3 165#

The first 4 sets of squats felt frustratingly heavier than they should have. The 5th set felt great and moved quickly. I'm trying to focus on bar speed a bit more during this reset. Rested 5 min between sets, which was nice to move through the 5x5 quickly. A few weeks from now, it will be back to 8-10 min of rest and LONG workouts.

I used a close grip on BP due to the relatively light weight. Rested 5 min between sets.

Power Cleans felt great. Rested 3 min between sets. Due to the program transition, I got an extra 5 day break from deadlifts. I'm so used to deadlifting on Sundays that I expect a certain level of stress the rest of the day. It felt weird to not be entirely depleted on a Sunday afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11/1/2016
    Recovery Day

Front Squat
    3x3 205#

OH Press
    3x5 120#

Power Snatch
    8x2 130#

Chins (elbow rehab progression)
    EMOM for 10 min
    5x4, 3x3, 2x2: 32 total.

Pretty light workout, rested 3 min between F. Squat sets as well as OH press sets. Did the Snatch sets every 2 minutes. 10 min for chins at the end. In and out in an hour.

Chins are steadily coming back after a few months layoff for elbows. There is really no more discomfort in the elbows, but I do still continue to feel a "brittleness" in the tendons throughout the forearms. I feel them first thing in the morning and a bit on initial sets. It's not pain at this point, just a bit of discomfort. I hope to see a full recovery.

11/3
    ID

Backsquat
    1x5 285#

Bench press
    1x5 215#

Deadlift
    1x4 320#

Squats were harder than I wanted them to be, but they always are.

BP was great and feels like it has momentum.

DL was frustrating. I had a week of from DLs during the program switch. I had done 320# for 5 reps on my last workout (have been at 335# before, too). I don't know. I just quit on that last rep as rep 4 was way too slow. Back felt straight, form was good. One factor may have been that this new gym is upstairs and it's pretty loud when deadlifting, so I was trying to be conservative on controlling the negative. -might have spent some energy there. Not sure if I should backoff 5# next week or give 320# another attempt.

11/6 VD

Backsquat 5x5 260#

OH Press 5x5 217.5#

Power Clean 5x3 170#
    (Was supposed to be snatch day, but I didn't realize that until half way through the Cleans).

Squats went well. Movement was fast and weight didn't feel very heavy.

I had some trouble with my right rear delt spazzing when warming up for presses. It's happened before after squats but never that bad. It's related to the shoulder blade tension for the "shelf" and then getting into position to press sometimes finds that muscle very tight. I spent about 10 minutes working on it with a lacrosse ball and got it loosened up. Presses were solid from there with 4 min rest between sets. My volume weight is pretty close to my ID weight at the moment by design. I seem to hit a 5 rep max wall pretty quickly on presses, usually right around 140#, so attempting to push beyond that wall over the next couple of weeks. ID weight will be 135# this week. I plan to adjust that differential when appropriate.

Power Cleans were smooth, yet challenging. I'll probably start microloading again going beyond 170#. 175 starts to get spicy.

11/8 RD

Front Squat
    3x3 205#

Bench Press
    3x5 185#

Power Clean
    3x3 155#

Chins (elbow rehab)
    36 total
    EMOM
    5x4
    3x3
    3x2

3 min rest between all sets.
    Bench press felt a little funky as I couldnt seem to get my back set exactly right until the last rep of the last set. I could feel a little fatigued on the power Cleans.

11/10 ID

Squat
    1x5 290#

OH Press
    1x5 135#

Deadlift
    1x5 315#

Woke up slowly and naturally about 30 min before my alarm went off. Felt good and recovered. Workout went well. I've been through 290# squats for 3x5 before, but this time felt the lightest and with the fastest bar speed by far.

Same for OH Press. Been through that number at 3x5, but today felt better than ever before.

Deadlift: I backed off 5# after last week. First 3 reps felt good, but the last 2 were frustratingly slow. I'm not sure if I should work on bar speed, take a little longer between reps or both. I feel like the Cleans and snatches would address the bar speed and both are a bit disproportionately higher in relationship to my DL than what I observe as average.

11/13 VD

Backsquat
    5x5 265#

CG Bench Press
    5x5 197.5#

Power Cleans
    5x3 172.5#

Decent VD. Weight was all manageable. Wasn't sure if it was going to be a good power output day based on the first set of power Cleans, but once acclimated to the necessary speed, they felt pretty good at that weight.

11/15 RD

Went to the gym in a state of raging anger. Blasted some Black Flag and The Stooges.

Front squat
    3x3 207.5#

OH Press
    3x5 122.5#

Power Snatch
    15x1 EMOM 132.5#

Chins (elbow rehab)
    EMOM
    5x4
    3x3
    5x2
    ____
    39 total.

Didn't feel very focused as my
    Mood was so displaced, but lifts all went and felt fine. Chins are really coming back, elbows continue to incrementally improve.

11/17/16 ID

Backsquat
    1x5 295#

Bench press
    1x5 217.5#

deadlift
    1x5 320#

Backsquat was as difficult as I expected. First 3 reps went well, last 2 were a grind, but I should be able to continue progress on 5s for a couple of more weeks.

Bench press was solid, if not kinda easy. I feel like I'm really going to make some significant progress on BP using the TM.

Deadlift: I focused on moving faster, which seemed to work in terms of getting through the set. Not sure if back position was perfect though. I feel like there are several different thoughts running through my head when I deadlift: cues, reminders about form etc, yet the stress of the event puts me in a "shit or get off the pot" mindset. DLs are just tough... and stressful.

starting strength coach development program
    11/20/16 VD

Backsquat
    5x5 270#

OH Press
    5x5 130#

Power Snatch
    15x1 EMOM 135#

Surprisingly good workout. Backsquat was great, stayed in the hips and felt fully recovered inside of 5 min between sets.

OH Press: first 2 sets were easy, only the last 3 reps of set 4 and 5 were hard.

Snatch: first 2 reps were a bit wonky, but once I got the speed dialed in, the were solid and felt explosive.

Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast