starting strength gym
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Thread: Damufunman's lifting weights log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    9/10
    AMBW 198.8 need to eat more

First volume day with deadlifts on the new program. A couple of things that were good to find out: 1. I can deadlift just fine after volume deists (at least now about 30 lbs below best 5x5) 2. I can get this done in right about 2 hours with 5 minutes rests on deists, though this will be going up soon I think.

Squats:
    320 x 5 x 5, beltless. I had these as @8, 8, 8, 8, 8.5 which seemed a bit high after watching video, and e1RM based off these is way too low. So I'm either not calibrated right at these weights for volume day, or beltless is affecting it. But it felt like a decent volume day today, guess I'll just have to see how intensity squats go. Did better keeping the weight over midfoot, and the barpath vertical. TUBOW helps with this, I'm gonna use him for a while see if I can't get better without him.
    Squat, 325 x 5 x 5 (1) - YouTube
    Squat, 325 x 5 x 5 (2) - YouTube
    Squat, 325 x 5 x 5 (3) - YouTube
    Squat, 325 x 5 x 5 (4) - YouTube
    Squat, 325 x 5 x 5 (5) - YouTube

Press:
    132.5 x 5 x 3 @8, 9, 9.5
    130 x 5 @9 all belted. Bit too much for today, gonna do 132.5 again next week.
    https://youtu.be/IU83aRNdYe0
    https://youtu.be/UQvcs_hUdMw
    https://youtu.be/kySFdJ5yo1Q
    https://youtu.be/RWhUvBZlbFI

Deadlift:
    390 x 5 @8-9, 3" belt, straps. PR for fahve, getting close to 4 plates! All warmups were hooked. Not bad, B&R bar is nahce, though the bushings are a little loud with 135 and 225 setting it down. Got better with more weight I think.
    https://youtu.be/EBgqF-Wdbhw
    Last edited by damufunman; 09-11-2017 at 08:42 AM. Reason: PR

9/12
    AMBW 199.4

First light day with Olympic lifts on new schedule in new basement gym. Figured I should slowly work my Snatch and Clean & Jerk volume and intensity up over a few weeks to get used to catching the bar. Apparently too quick a jump in can cause joint issues.

Overhead squat and drop snatches with bar to warm up. And a few drop snatch triples at 65.

Snatch:
    worked up to 3 singles at 115 (lbs! Yay for 'Murica) from high hang. Want to work a bit on getting under the bar, so once the weight starts getting heavier I'll have to get lower to catch it. I'll probably keep the HLM relation between the days and just bring them all up together 5 or 10 lbs per week.

Clean & Jerk:
    worked up to 135 for 3 singles from high hang.
    Back was tired, presumably from deadlifting on Sunday, so the light pulls (even light for the fast lifts) in this spot I think makes sense.

Front Squat:
    Was going to see how 245 felt and see if I could do 3 reps, but set safeties too high, bumped on the first one and set it down. Decided to try a pin squat, once I got it in the right position over midfoot managed to grind it out, almost passing out after racking it. Figured that was plenty of squatting for the day. Front squats are much harder after deadlifting. Should get my back strength up some more though.
    Front Squat from pins, 245 x 1 - YouTube

Bench:
    185 x 5 x 3 @8, 8.5, 8.5. Think I'm going to do this for 3 sets, see if it works. With all the jerking and pressing might be prudent to start with lower volume then bring it up if needed. B&R bar PLing rings are slightly farther out than the bar I was using at LA Fitness, so had to adjust my grip in about an inch to 1 1/2 inches total.

Ewww from the pins. yyyyyyyy????? would you do such a thing to yourself

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Ewww from the pins. yyyyyyyy????? would you do such a thing to yourself
    For fun. And it was already there from missing the previous rep after I bounced off then. And I thought that would be a little easier than three reps. Now I know.

Nice work, Justin! Congrats on the deads PR!

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    Nice work, Justin! Congrats on the deads PR!
    Thanks Jan! Almost to 4 plates for fahve! Deadlift is finally moving along again, hope I can keep the momentum up.

With all that's been going on lately I'm not really sure what course of action to take with regards to this forum. I'm not as active as other members so I don't have clear understanding of exactly what's gone down lately, so I'm having trouble deciding what to do moving forward. I appreciate and respect what Aasgard has built, but as others have been saying it seems that things might be changing around here. I don't know exactly what that entails, maybe I'm not as perceptive as others, but I don't know how I feel about it yet. I think I will watch and wait and maybe continue logging, though my heart hasn't been into as much the past couple days. So much confusing feelings.

9/14

AMBW 200.8

Hi Hang (Hip) Snatch:
    worked up to (what I found out might be considered a hip snatch?)
    a decent 125 x 1,
    then 135 x 1 that was a bit forward but made it. Lost the next 2 at 135 forward.

Hi Hang Clean & Jerk:
    145 x 1 x 3

Squat:
    375 x 5 @10. PR for 5 that I was planning to do last week. This was much harder than I was hoping it would be this early into the cycle... Hopefully due to either not used to Snatch and C&J beforehand, or not enough weight this past volume day. Hopefully upping the volume weight this week will drive strength up better.
    Squat 375 x 5 - YouTube

Push Press:
    135 x 3
    145 x 3
    155 x 3
    Push Press, 155 x 3 - YouTube
    Hands get chewed up with these because I have to move from wrist extension to more neutral going from shoulders for the drive to pressing. Really feel the knurling biting as it rolls along during the shift.

9/16

AMBW 199.2
    Having stomach issues that are making it hard to eat enough. Not sure if it's dairy related or what, can't pin it down to a particular food, but it's only happening in the afternoon where I get gassy and don't feel like eating. Tried skipping the milk or yogurt on Friday, and didn't get gas, but have trouble getting enough calories this way. Need to check again and see if the milk and/or yogurt are the problems.

Hip Snatch (with straps)
    95 x 3
    115 x 1f, 2
    135 x 1, f
    Not sure I like these with keeping the bar in the hip crease and not letting it slide down my thighs. I feel like I get more loop on it and not a vertical pull.

Snatch
    135 x 1, f (straps)
    125 x 1
    130 x 1
    135 x f behind this time.
    Enough shitty lifts for today

Hi Hang C&J
    44 x 5+5 x 2 (tall clean + jerk in split)
    95 x 3
    135 x 2
    155 x 1
    175 x 1
    185 x 1 x 3
    All pretty solid, didn't want to go too much heavier or too many reps too soon. Elbows a little sore so I called it for today.

More PRs every day! Congrats!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    More PRs every day! Congrats!
    Every day! almost like being a novice again.

9/17

AMBW 200.4

Squat:
    330 x 5 x 5, beltless @7, 7.5, 8, 8, 8. I might be letting my RPE numbers fit to what they should be to some extent, and not getting a good gauge on what I'm feeling. This is why I don't think I'm quite ready to use them to determine training.
    Got forward a bit on set 3 in the hole. Four and fifth set I thought about actively moving the bar back a bit at the bottom as I came up out of the hole and it kept the bar path more vertical.
    Page Not Found • Instagram

Press:
    132.5 x 5 x 3, belted @8.5, 8.5, 9.5.
    125 x 5 x 3, beltless @ 7, 8.5, 9. Got a bit of shoulder/tricep pain on the left. I think I need to change this up a bit, do a set or two at higher intensity, then drop the weight for more sets. The higher intensity (along with Olympic lifts) is beating up my shoulders but lower weights seem too easy. I dunno.

Deadlift:
    395 x 4, 3" belt, straps @9. Thought back started rounding on 4 and then 5 so didn't finish. Looked fine on video. Dammit. Still a PR, though not 5. 400 x 5 next week.

Gonna be my last post here at least for a while, need to step away from this site for a bit. I think there's still things I can learn from the forums, but I'm going to be less active. You might be able to catch me on ES as well. Thanks for following.

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243