starting strength gym
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A Beard (Still) Adds Ten Pounds

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    I'm going to 3rd this suggestion, but with the caveat that I'm a lazy fucker with a really shitty squat, so maybe don't listen to me?
    Oh yeah, I guess I should've mentioned the caveat that my squat sucks balls.

But I've seen it suggested many times to take a small deload off of LP before jumping straight into TM. Especially if since you just competed!

All I know right now is that I miss heavy worksets. Yes, walking into the gym was hard and intimidating on heavy days, but it was much preferable to this feeling of malaise.

Wait have you taken this entire week off? I would get antsy doing that too. Get in the gym and just dick around.

I was in on Monday. Did some curlz with 80ish lbs, squatted 55x8x2, 145x8x2, 205x8x2, and 235x8 plus chins with BW for 10 - 8 - 6 - 4 - 2. I'm going in today as well for something similar.

But it's not "hard" I'm not getting the feeling of looking at workset weight and going "you HAVE to be here for this... you have to perform now."

Why not do one hard set today then? Not hard hard, maybe 70% of your third attempt for a single set of five.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Why not do one hard set today then? Not hard hard, maybe 70% of your third attempt for a single set of five.
    No reason, I suppose. I might do something like that. I'm just looking forward to getting back to work.

4 Nov 2016
    SQ: 325x5, 345x5
    BN: 185x5
    DL: 325x5
    BW: 211.6lbs

I just wanted to put some weight on my back. Things seemed to be moving well so I decided on the above. I doubt that it will interfere with Monday.

Squats have some knee slide. Need to make sure that goes away pronto. I also need to approach the bar like every set is a full workset. No reason to not take it entirely seriously and get good form practice and the extra mental discipline that will come from this approach. Heels were coming up so I was forward. Unacceptable.

I need to squeeze the bar more on my benches and not deflated when I breathe. I think the elbows can tuck a slight bit more. And leg drive. I need to use it.

I've got to figure out a way to keep my back flat for each rep after 1. I think the rip video about sending the hips back instead of rounding the back will be required watching for me for a while. Also more squoze up.

I've been less than diligent with the diet lately and the result is some weight loss. Nothing significant but it's a good reminder that processes must be followed. I plan on a slow stead march to 220lbs for now. I will reassess bodyweight and composition progress when I get there.
    Last edited by kfreeman85; 11-04-2016 at 08:40 PM.

7 Nov 2016
    Week 1

Volume Day
    SQ: 335x5x5 (Final Set)
    BN: 215x3x5 -PR
    PC: 185x3x5
    BW: 212.8

Squats seemed to go pretty well. I got a little forward in my third set and it happens a little in the fifth set linked above. You can see it in the heels. Fifth rep was my best of the final set. I was working on moving the bar well/explosively, cause I don't know, and not letting knee slide in. As always continuing to work on keeping the back set. These almost all need a little more depth.

I'm still running out what little I can from my the Advanced Novice end of my Bench and Press. I'll take the poundage each time I see the lift while I can. Benches were heavy today. No video but I continue to have tightness issues when the going gets tough. I get a serious case of "right arm chicken wing" and my elbow drifts in and out. I managed to get tighter and it didn't happen on my fifth set. Seems to have something to do with squeezing the hell out of the bar and trying to bend it down with my lats.

Powercleans were fine. I get the argument made for them in PPST (IE: quantifiable DE effort pulls). I don't know how long they'll stay in the program. I have little interest in power snatches, personally.

I got everything done in just about 2 hours. Maybe a touch more. There was some talking in the gym. I tried to keep my squat rests to 7 minutes between sets. Five sets of everything just takes some time. I don't feel like this workout destroyed me at the moment. I know it will get heavier. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. Interesting thought I had while between sets today: My Texas Method squat volume for today was 8375lbs and LP squat volume for a PR of 400 would have been 6000lbs. "Volume Day".
    Last edited by kfreeman85; 11-07-2016 at 08:28 PM.

9 Nov 2016
    Week 1
    Light Day
    SQ: 275x5x2
    OHP: 187.5x2, 160x5x3
    Chins w/BW: 5

Things are getting a little off the tracks here. I guess week 1 is the week for it. Squats are links above. Haven't had time to review them yet. I think I'm doing that "pop your ass back" thing that I'm not supposed to do. I'll get that fixed.

Presses seemed to have reached the end of their work. Instead of failing through the sets I decided to drop 10% off and hit it for 3 sets of 5. I will move these over to Texas Method next week and repeat 160(ish) for 5 sets of 5.

I decided that since my pecs were still sore from benching and my presses were a little off today to not push it with chins.

I'm supposed to be on a plane at 5am tomorrow to travel out to DC for a martial arts seminar that starts Saturday morning. Supposed to be on the mat from 10am until 4 both days with a break for lunch. I get back into town at 4:35pm on Monday. Right now the intention is to hit my Intensity day Friday at some point and hopefully get my volume day in on Monday after getting in to town. It'll be a long day. I don't know if it's smarter to push through (seeing as I'm on a bit of a deload) or to skip out on Friday and redo week 1. Just trying to get back into the game here!

starting strength coach development program
    I think you could manage to train tomorrow, as it would still be below your intensity & volume maxes. But, see how you feel after being on the mat all day.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast