starting strength gym
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: The Constant Intermediate

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    9/10/17 Week 3 Squat A

Bodyweight 213. Goal is to gain ~0.5lb/week (see below)

Squat 405x3x3 @ still fatigued from last week.

RDL 315x6, 7, 8. Low back not great, so I went light here.

Straight bar curls 105x3x15.

Musings: Now that I'm done with permabulk I plan on doing traditional bulking/cutting forever... Small gains for several blocks, then fat loss for a couple blocks, rinse and repeat. I'm basing my rates of gain and loss off Izzy's article on the subject. His recommendation is to go back and forth from ~10-15% bodyfat. My numbers will probably be a little fatter than that; ~15-20%. Also, I'll probably change my mind about this a hundred times over the next several decades.

Quote Originally Posted by JFick View Post
    Trying to catch up since my return.

Looks like you had an overall successful summer cut. Nice work.
    Hey thanks man. I feel like I should switch my log over to bodybuilding.com.

Quote Originally Posted by broseph View Post
    Also, I'll probably change my mind about this a hundred times over the next several decades.
    You aren't the only one.

9/11/17 Week 3 Bench A

Bench 335x3, 3, 5 @9.75

Press 190x3, 3, 5 @same

Cable Row 220x3x7

Musings: Now that I'm done with permabulk I plan on doing traditional bulking/cutting forever... Small gains for several blocks, then fat loss for a couple blocks, rinse and repeat. I'm basing my rates of gain and loss off Izzy's article on the subject. His recommendation is to go back and forth from ~10-15% bodyfat. My numbers will probably be a little fatter than that; ~15-20%. Also, I'll probably change my mind about this a hundred times over the next several decades.
    I'm looking forward to doing this. I'm thinking I'll do a few months on Andy's powerbuilding program after the Fall Classic for a change of pace. Although I'll probably start with just maintaining weight for a couple of months since even after all this cutting I won't be anywhere near 10% (or even 15% realistically).

9/13/17 Week 3 Squat B

Squat 405x3 @a soft 8

DL 475x3 @8

Abwheel 3x20

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I'm looking forward to doing this. I'm thinking I'll do a few months on Andy's powerbuilding program after the Fall Classic for a change of pace. Although I'll probably start with just maintaining weight for a couple of months since even after all this cutting I won't be anywhere near 10% (or even 15% realistically).
    Yeah, I wish bodyfat % testing was accurate, easy, and accessible. Just to quantify increases in lean tissue after body weight gains/losses. It would be nice to lose 20lbs, gain back a slow 10 (my plan), and know exactly the net increase in muscle. Allan Thrall has a video on his YT where a bunch of his gym members did hydrostatic weighing for BF%. The numbers were very different than what I would have guessed.

9/13/17 Week 3 Squat B

Squat 405x3 @a soft 8

DL 475x3 @8

Abwheel 3x20

Yeah, I wish bodyfat % testing was accurate, easy, and accessible. Just to quantify increases in lean tissue after body weight gains/losses. It would be nice to lose 20lbs, gain back a slow 10 (my plan), and know exactly the net increase in muscle. Allan Thrall has a video on his YT where a bunch of his gym members did hydrostatic weighing for BF%. The numbers were very different than what I would have guessed.
    Yeah, I saw that video a while back. The different methods vary so much that it's hard to put stock in any one of them. On the one hand, absolute numbers aren't as important as relative changes for the individual, but I too share the impulse to precisely quantify everything and it's frustrating when that's not possible.

One thing I was thinking is that instead of bulking to a particular target weight, I might try bulking until I hit a certain waist measurement before cutting back down. For me, that seems to be a pretty good proxy for body fat percentage.

9/14/17 Week 3 Bench B

Bench 335x3 @8

Chins +90 x3x5

Close Grip Bench 305x5, 310x5, 315x5

One thing I was thinking is that instead of bulking to a particular target weight, I might try bulking until I hit a certain waist measurement before cutting back down. For me, that seems to be a pretty good proxy for body fat percentage.
    I like that idea. Will probably steal it.

I like that idea. Will probably steal it.
    Just remember I get a 5 cent royalty every time you measure your waist.

This thread reminded me that I had one of these Amazon.com: Slim Guide Skinfold Caliper: Industrial & Scientific laying around in a closet. I took it out an did the 3-site measurement to see what it said. Apparently I am 11% bodyfat, and/or obviously doing it wrong.

Just remember I get a 5 cent royalty every time you measure your waist.

This thread reminded me that I had one of these Amazon.com: Slim Guide Skinfold Caliper: Industrial & Scientific laying around in a closet. I took it out an did the 3-site measurement to see what it said. Apparently I am 11% bodyfat, and/or obviously doing it wrong.
    I think the caliper method is VERY sensitive to deviations in site location and squeeze pressure. Also, I won't measure my waist, I'll count the holes on my lifting belt=save 5¢

starting strength coach development program
    Moving my log over to exodus.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast