starting strength gym
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: CMG's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You jumped into the middle of the taper (week 10 and 11) and are starting the deload week before testing. Kind of a weird place to start the program but you'll at least have numbers to start it off properly in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jwagner View Post
    You jumped into the middle of the taper (week 10 and 11) and are starting the deload week before testing. Kind of a weird place to start the program but you'll at least have numbers to start it off properly in a few weeks.
    Yep - I basically jumped in to line the testing week up with when I would have been testing anyways. With volume being down in the weeks prior though, that may end up hurting. Either way, if my testing isn't great, that's fine - with the cutting process under way I'm not going to be mad about the weights being a little lighter for the upcoming cycle. And if I lose something in the 1-1.5lb/wk range, I'll probably be in a place where I'll switch to maintenance for the following one.

1/20/2017

Holy crap he actually did both workouts he was supposed to (kind of) for the week.

Squat 285x3x3
    Bench 175x3x3

The program said to do squat and press again but I did squat and bench instead.

Will prob do testings Monday and Friday, maybe Monday and Thurs.

Week 52

Started Starting Strength about a year ago. Let's see what we got.

1/23/2017

Press
    165x1@9 - Tripod swung around right as I walked away, so this rep is not shown.
    173x1@10 PR - Lockout here was not good. I wanted 180 for my 3rd attempt but after this I didn't think I'd get it.
    177x1@10 PR - More grindy but I'd say better than 173. Probably did have 180 in me.

Deadlift
    355x1@7 - This absolutely flew up. Compared to the 355 rep on 12/31 it's not even close.
    385x1@9.5 - Tied previous PR, but with a much better back than last time. Didn't fully set it before starting the pull, which is a shame, so there's more rounding here than there should have been. Wasn't sure if I should go for 4 but Ryan talked me into it.
    405x1@10 PR - Some rounding but acceptable to me for a 3rd attempt. 4 plates woot woot.

See y'all in a couple days.

1/26/2017

Erectors and hammies were still pretty sad, not as bad as yesterday but not fully recovered. But I ate a bunch of pasta last night and didn't want it to go to waste.

Squat
    365x1@9.5
    385x1@10 PR You know how there's like "I couldn't get another one but that one went" 10, and then there's "If a fly lands on the bar we're in trouble" 10? This was that 2nd one. No point in a 3rd attempt, I don't think 386 would have gone. Hell 385 probably wouldn't have gone again.

Depth on both of these was suspect. And knee stuff blah. GGW will have me squatting less than 3 plates for the first 5 weeks - that's 15 sessions. I'd like to have these dialed in by then.

Bench Press
    215x1@8 - Paused this which made it a little hard but still not too bad. Decided to TNG the final two.
    230x1@9.5 PR - Liftoffs are nice, though it's weird when the weight all transitions to you. Pretty solid rep IMO.
    245xF - Waffled between 240 and 245 for this attempt, and went aggressive with it. Looking back, that's a steep jump for bench. Stopped about an inch off my chest, no dice. I'm going to set training max at 235 because I know I had more in me.

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    Q3

Worksets:
    Squat: 275 -> 320 = +45
    Deadlift: 315 -> 345 = +30
    Bench Press: 165 -> 183 = +18
    Press: 120 -> 145 = +25
    BW: 208 -> 215= +7
    Workouts missed: 2 + 5 due to injury

Still pretty solid work. I managed to not injure myself during 1RM stuff so the 2 missed weeks + subsequent reset should not be necessary. I need to figure out what to do with deadlift but for squat I'll keep up the HLM 5lbs a week, BP and Press alternating days LP at 2.5/session. Press will probably need a reset or programming change soon, but it seems like moving that to HLM while continuing to LP BP might be a pain in the ass. Or maybe I just decide to concentrate on one or the other. I do likey shoulders though.

Oh, graphs.

Heavy Workset weight (spikes indicate singles):

e1RM:
    Q4

Trying to figure out how to do this, what with work set wonkiness in my "training without a plan" training. Let's do it on the 1RM testing instead.

Squat: 375 -> 385 = +10
    Deadlift: 385 -> 405 = +20
    Bench Press: 225 -> 230 = +5
    Press: 165 -> 177 = +12
    BW: 215 -> 215 = +0
    Workouts missed:

Going forward, I'll be doing Andy's Garage Gym Warrior plan. It's a 13 week cycle, there will be some easy stretches early and from the looks of it I'm gonna hate myself around week 9. I'm probably an early enough intermediate that I could progress a bit faster than this prescribes, but with the cut and stuff I'm fine with the slower pace. There's also a good bit more volume than I'm used to. We'll see how I feel in April.

GGW C1W1

That's Garage Gym Warrior, Cycle 1 Week 1.

1/30/2017

Squat
    275x6x4@?

Press
    115x6x3@?

Deadlift
    256x6x3@?

I don't think anything got to even @7, except maybe set 3 of press which was on almost no rest. Deadlift is a funny number because apparently the collars I used were 2.5kg each, which seemed significant enough to add it to the 245 I had loaded. They moved the oly stuff up from the basement and the regular deadlift area was busy so I used the bumpers and stuff instead, and there weren't any of the insignificant plastic ring things around, so I just used what was there. BTW whatever that Ivanko bar was that has 3 separate rings in the knurling, I do not recommend it for deadlift. The middle area without knurling is too narrow and you will lose a good bit of shin hair even through your pants.

Good luck with the new plan! Hopefully you can add big chunks to your already impressive progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasterleavings View Post
    Good luck with the new plan! Hopefully you can add big chunks to your already impressive progress.
    Thank you sir! That is the goal/plan/hope.

2/1/2017

Squat
    235x6x2@?

Bench Press
    165x6x4@?

BB Row
    115x8x4@[?,?,7,9]

Some curls, ab wheel.

Left the gym parking lot 40 minutes after I pulled into it. Stuck BP warmup between squat sets, superset rows into bench. Probably can't do that once heavy day gets actually heavy but it's a good timesaver for now. Looks like my guesstimate of a BB Row starting weight was pretty solid. I'll shoot for 125 on 4x6 and 135 on 4x4 and adjust these from there. Left bicep got a little sad by the elbow so I did a couple sets of curls on the way out. Did 1x5 of ab wheel before writing this, planning another 2 sets pre-shower.

Also I just realized that testing week very well may line up with a week I plan to be out of town so I may end up looking at cutting a week somewhere. Looking at the plan, I think if I cut week 12 and move everything in week 11 to M-W that should probably be enough of a deload/taper to just test week 12. I'll post in Andy's forum once I verify the timing of things though.

Is professional bodyweight fluctuator a thing? Monday AM BW: 220. Yesterday AM BW: 211.

2/3/2017

Going to just leave RPE<7 off

Squat
    255x6x3

Press
    135x1
    115x6
    125x6x3@[7,7,8]
    Remembered that I'd decided I wanted to incorporate an overwarmup, at least while stuff is lighter. Also misloaded work set #1.

Deadlift
    315x1
    285x6

WTF is this whole "program compliance" thing. Weird.

Also, the trip will line up with week 12. The weekend is going to involve some heavy drinking, so... I either need to cut 2 weeks out, or likely have suboptimal testing. Will probably just go for the latter, I'm pretty resilient.
    Last edited by cgeorg; 02-04-2017 at 08:06 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    What is this "compliance" you speak of? 😁

Only 40 minutes? Wow, speed work 😝
    I also like warming up my press between squat sets. Can't really do that with bench. Taking a bench and rack would piss off a lot of people.

Good start though for intermediate.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast