starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil's Log of Extraordinary Mediocrity.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    3/18/2017

Squats 355x1, 380x1 (PR), 315x2x4
    Competition bench 225x2x7
    Curls

I felt like my 380lb squat was a bit high, but upon looking at the video, I think it was ok, but maybe borderline. This ismy last heavy squat attempt before the SS Spring Classic. I'm thinking based on this, I might shoot for 405 for my third attempt. That would be very nice...

3/19/2017

Deadlifts 405x1, 435x1, 465x1 (PR), 420x2x2
    OHP 155x1, 170x1, 180x1 (PR), 155x2x5
    Board Press 245x3x5

Video of the top singles. Deadlift felt slow. It wasn't pretty, but it went up. OHP on the other hand felt very nice. I'm pretty happy with how things have gone the last few months. The Spring Classic will be my first lifting competition ever, and I'm only aiming to be not last. I had set a goal of breaking 1000lbs, which for a 250lb guy is not all that impressive, but it was a nice round number to shoot for on a first attempt. Thus far, in training, I've hit a 380 squat, a 180lb press, and a 465lb deadlift for a total of 1025, so I'm pretty pleased. I'm not sure how well I'll do in competition, but I'm definitely stronger than I was a few months ago, and I guess that's what matters, right?

You'll be competing in the Chicago meet right? Dave runs a nice meet, we encountered a hiccup with the projector or something last time but still the meet ran smoothly and quite well.

Sounds like you'll be hitting 1000 easily as long as you follow the rules. There's no commands in the SS meets, but you have to be able to unrack and rerack the squat by yourself. In a PL meet, the spotters will help you rerack the weight after your attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    You'll be competing in the Chicago meet right?
    I wish. Instead, my wife decided she wanted to visit her sister who lives in Tacoma, WA that weekend. So I will be at the Gig Harbor site. It would have been nice to meet some of the other people who live closer to Ohio, but there will be other meets.

Squats and deadlifts look on point, nice form. Nice work. I'm in Canton, Go Ohio! I'm a software developer so if I ever need a patent attorney I know who I can call. Ever work with ss coach Brodie Butland? Pretty sure he's in Cleveland.

Good luck on your goals and the upcoming meet.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sean Kibler; 03-20-2017 at 08:40 AM.

Awesome. Yeah, I've worked with Brodie a couple of times. He's good - highly recommend making a trip up here to see him if you ever need any form issues ironed out. I work remotely with an SSC, who is great, but there's no replacement for somebody yelling at you intra-set.

Quote Originally Posted by skibler View Post
    Squats and deadlifts look on point, nice form. Nice work. I'm in Canton, Go Ohio! I'm a software developer so if I ever need a patent attorney I know who I can call. Ever work with ss coach Brodie Butland? Pretty sure he's in Cleveland.

Good luck on your goals and the upcoming meet.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Forum member Manveer is also based in Ohio at the moment.

Ah well, a trip to Seattle is hardly a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Ah well, a trip to Seattle is hardly a bad thing.
    No indeed.

3/21/2017

Squats 315lbs 7 sets of 2.
    Bench TNG 235lbs 5 sets of 2
    Slingshot Bench 260lbs 4 sets of 2.

Ok, now my arms hurt.

3/23/2017

Speed Deadlifts 365lbs 3 sets of 2.
    Push Press 190lbs 6 sets of 1.
    CGBP 210lbs 5 sets of 2.

Everything felt nice and light today. Of course given my lack of explosivity, speed deadlifts, even at reduced weights, look kind of like my regular heavy deadlifts - just less grunting.

starting strength coach development program
    3/25/2017

Oi vey. Did my openers for next week today, along with some backoff sets. Not Pretty.

Squat 368.5lbsx1, 275lbs 4 sets of 3
    Comp Bench 230lbs - three singles.
    OHP 170x1, 125lbs 4 sets of three
    Deadlift 465xfail.

The squat opener felt weak and I had all sorts of form breakdowns, and then I almost passed out from my OHP opener, although I was able to lockout it out after much effort. The deadlift never broke the floor. Not once. Even after trying three times. And this is my opener. I got 4 hours of sleep last night due to a 6 month old baby that the last week has been inconsolable at night due to teething issues. Basically, I felt like hell today. I hope that a week from today is not like this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast