starting strength gym
Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Codger's Quest

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Your prep work seems to have you in a good spot.

Can't wait to read about the results of all this good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    Your prep work seems to have you in a good spot.

Can't wait to read about the results of all this good work.
    This will be my second meet--I entered the same NASA event last April. I have the same worries that I had before that first meet: squat depth; waiting for the commands...My plan is to start all my lifts with weights that I've been doing for 3 reps, and then go from there. Last year I don't think there were any other lifters in my category--Masters 3, 220.5 pounds. My weight this morning was 207.

Heavy bench/light press today:

Press: 130x3x5; 90 seconds rest; emphasizing bar speed.

Bench: 230x3x3: nine minutes rest. I paused the first rep of the first set. The last rep of each set went up slowly but steadily. I'm planning to open with this weight for my meet on the 29th.

Incline DB press, 60 pounds each DB: 10, 10, 8; five minutes rest. I'll stick with this weight until I hit 3 sets of 10.

Dips, 30 pounds x10 x3. I'll probably repeat this weight after the meet.

This was my last heavy bench workout until the meet. I'll do a heavy press on Tuesday and a close-grip bench at 205. Then some medium squats on Wednesday, about 10 or 15 pounds less than my last set of 5. Rest on Thursday and Friday. Meet on Saturday. Tomorrow I'll do deadlifts with straps for three triples.

Bad day. Today was a heavy deadlift/light squat day. I started with light squats, 280x3x5, with two minutes rest. No problem.

Warmed up for my deads, and then started my first set: 440x3x3, with straps. During the third rep of my first set I felt a pull in the back of my right leg, and immediately had to put the bar down. A pulled (or torn?) hamstring? I had felt a slight twinge in the same area last week but I ignored it. Now I'm sitting down, applying ice 20 minutes on, 20 off. I wouldn't describe the injury as painful; the area is sore. I'm not limping or anything, but I definitely notice it when I walk. The biggest drag is that I won't be able to compete in a meet I had been training hard for next Saturday. This is the first significant injury I've had while training.

My plan is to rest for three days, then follow the Starr Rehab protocol described here, using deadlifts instead of squats:
    Strained hamstring while squatting

Not to belabor the obvious, but that sucks!

I hope it turns out to be nothing more than a strain.

What an f'n shame.

Thanks, Browndog. It is a bummer. I was looking forward to this meet; I really enjoyed my first one last year. Well, I'll see how the recovery goes. Maybe I can shoot for a fall meet. Now that I think of it, my right hamstrings kind of cramped while I was doing dips the other day, but again I didn't give it much thought. Well, no choice but to press onward.
    Last edited by codger; 04-22-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Okay, so today was my first day on the Starr rehab:

Deadlift, empty bar: 45x25x3. About three minutes rest between sets. Felt good--no pain at all in my hamstring. My lower back feels worked, though, after 75 reps! Sitting with ice on the back of my right leg as I write this. My plan is to follow this program for the next two weeks. With any luck I'll be able to resume training at that point.

I was wondering when / if you were going to start the Starr rehab protocol.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Thanks, Browndog. I'm on day two of the Starr rehab:

Deadlift (weight, reps, sets): 45x25x2; 55x25x1. So far so good. I'm really tempted to do some other exercises, but I'll force myself to wait for a couple of weeks.

starting strength coach development program
    Rehab, day 3:

Nothing too exciting, another round of 25-rep deadlifts, with a little more weight today:
    45x25, 55x25, 65x25. They all felt good. No pain at all. Sitting on ice for a few minutes now.

Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast