starting strength gym
Page 50 of 103 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Codger's Quest

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by codger View Post
    Does your coach use a belt in competition?

I'm already starting to get butterflies in my stomach when I think about it!
    He Squats with a belt, but Benches and Deadlifts without one. He was the only person I saw who pulled without a belt at The Arnold.

I shouldn't be surprised, but I was. He pulled 310kg without a belt...just damn.

As to nerves, I understand - completely.

For me, it was as nerve wracking as anything I've ever done. I spent a great deal of time visualizing the event: what the bar would look like with each plate combination, what a successful lift would look like. I watched videos of my lifts, just to remind me that I've done this successfully in the gym.

I practiced breathing exercises to drop the heart rate. Take a slow, deep breath and hold for a four count, let the air out slowly to a four count, hold for a four count. Do this for a set of five to ten. That way when you're called "on deck", you can perform one or two and get yourself centered before you step on the platform.

Remember, you've got a full minute to start your lift. Don't rush things, get settled / comfortable before every attempt.

Nerves are good, it shows that you care!
    Last edited by Browndog; 03-11-2018 at 02:03 PM.

So far I've only been using the belt for my squat work sets, though I might start wearing it for heavy presses when I resume my training after the meet.

I spent a great deal of time visualizing the event: what the bar would look like with each plate combination, what a successful lift would look like.
    I've been doing that too, imagining the commands,etc. I'll get a bit more practice in this week.

Remember, you've got a full minute to start your lift. Don't rush things, get settled / comfortable before every attempt.

Nerves are good, it shows that you care!
    Good advice, thanks, BD! I am looking forward to it--it will be a nice change of pace from lifting in my cold garage.

Focusing on preparing for the meet. Today I practiced my squat opener, plus a couple of other exercises I normally do on my squat day. I just did fewer of them. Thanks for the tips, BD!

Squat: 330x1, belted. Felt good. Then 300x2x2, also belted. About three minutes rest.

Chins: body weight x 10 x 2; seven minutes rest.

Dumbbell curls: 70 (total) x 8 x 2, three minutes rest.

Nice and easy!

Tomorrow I'll practice my bench opener with a single 225. Then I'll have two days to rest before the meet on Saturday.

Last day of meet-prep today, practicing my opening bench press with commands: start-press-rack.

Some medium-weight presses: 142.5x3x3, 90 seconds rest.

Bench: 225x1, 205x2x2; two minutes rest. (At the meet I'll start with 100 kg.)

dips with 25 pounds x 8 x 2; two minutes rest.

I'll rest tomorrow and Friday. The meet's on Saturday afternoon!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of the women!

You're going to do great, Codger!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of the women!

Codger the Barbarian! Or, more accurately, Codger the Sexagenarian. There may be lamentation among women when they see my pale old frame in a singlet.
    Last edited by codger; 03-14-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by codger View Post
    Codger the Barbarian! Or, more accurately, Codger the Sexagenarian. There may be lamentation among women when they see my pale old frame in a singlet.
    Trust me, paler has been seen on the platform.

Go get 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Goldstein View Post

Heh, THIS! ^^^

Go get 'em, Yoda!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, guys! I'll try to rep geezers.

Page 50 of 103 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast