starting strength gym
Page 11 of 103 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Codger's Quest

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I gutted him, I pulled the liver out and took a big old bite. Still twitching, dripping, hot with blood running and I took a big bite and ate it while I finished taking care of him.
    Never thought my codger log would contain anything like this! I've never stalked anything much bigger than a frog. Though I have seen a couple of bears in the wild.

Now, for somewhat less interesting reading: my workout today. Heavy squats/upper back:

Squat: 335x1x3 (weight, reps, sets); five minutes rest. Wasn't looking forward to these but they felt surprisingly solid. Still going a bit too low and losing tightness, though. On my second single the bar hit the safeties.

Chins, with 35 pounds: three sets of seven, eight minutes rest. I'll repeat the same weight next week, and try for eight reps on at least one set.

BB rows: 177.5x10x3; four minutes rest; straps. 180 next week.

DB curls, 37.5x10, 37.5x9, 37.5x8; three to four minutes rest. I'll stay at this weight until I hit three sets of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by codger View Post
    Never thought my codger log would contain anything like this! I've never stalked anything much bigger than a frog. Though I have seen a couple of bears in the wild.

Now, for somewhat less interesting reading: my workout today. Heavy squats/upper back:

Squat: 335x1x3 (weight, reps, sets); five minutes rest. Wasn't looking forward to these but they felt surprisingly solid. Still going a bit too low and losing tightness, though. On my second single the bar hit the safeties.

Chins, with 35 pounds: three sets of seven, eight minutes rest. I'll repeat the same weight next week, and try for eight reps on at least one set.

BB rows: 177.5x10x3; four minutes rest; straps. 180 next week.

DB curls, 37.5x10, 37.5x9, 37.5x8; three to four minutes rest. I'll stay at this weight until I hit three sets of 10.
    Really impressive, Yoda. Not many folks at the young of 63 are capable of this kind of work.

As to the squat and going too low. Your body will tell you how low to go. If the spotting pins are throwing you off, lower them a hole. If you try to cut the depth to what you 'think' is right, it will cause all sorts of problems if you aren't careful.

I should have apologized earlier in the thread for the hijacking that was about to occur, my bad.

Nice Squats!

Not many folks at the young of 63 are capable of this kind of work.

As to the squat and going too low. Your body will tell you how low to go. If the spotting pins are throwing you off, lower them a hole. If you try to cut the depth to what you 'think' is right, it will cause all sorts of problems if you aren't careful.
    Thanks, Oldster. I hope I can keep going for a while longer. I don't feel old. (Looks? That's another issue.) As for squats I'm planning to make an appointment with a Starting Strength coach in Albuquerque who I've trained with a few times before and have him check me out.

I should have apologized earlier in the thread for the hijacking that was about to occur, my bad.
    No need to apologize, BD. Quite the opposite--I'm enjoying the conversation, warm bloody livers and all!

Well, based on the goal thread in the elderly forum I thought I should see if you had a log going on here.

Liver-eating, huh.

I'll be following your log from now on!

I'll be following your log from now on!
    Are you keeping a log, Slowmotion? I searched but could't find one under your username.

Thanks, Jan. Couldn't find it on my own for some reason--broken-brain syndrome.

Today's workout, heavy bench/light press:

Press: 127.5x3x5 (weight, reps, sets); 90 seconds rest.

Bench: 235x1x3 (weight, reps, sets); five minutes rest. These felt surprisingly good, especially considering that I was planning on doing 232.5, then thought, what the heck. The bar went up at a decent rate.

Incline DB press: 62.5 (each dumbbell) 10 reps, 9 reps, 8 reps, with four to five minutes rest between sets. I'll use the same weight next week and try for 10 reps across.

Dips with 35 pounds: three sets of eight, five minutes rest. Felt pretty good. I'll try 37.5 next week.

Finished this week on a high note: I rejoined the 1,000-pound club. Bench was 235 this week, squat was 335, and today's deadlift was 430 for a nice even 1,000.

Today was a light squat/heavy deadlift day:

Squats: 255x3x5 (weight, reps, sets); 90 seconds rest. No belt.

Deads: 430x1x3 (weight, reps, sets) five minutes rest; chalk and hook grip, no belt. I had been planning on doing 425 today, but realized that 430 would get me to 1,000 pounds so I went for it. 430 is just ten pounds below the weight I was pulling when I injured my hamstring back in April, and today everything felt fine. No strain or worry.

SLDL: 300x8x2; straps, five minutes rest. I'll try 310 next week.

Barbell shrugs: 205x15x3, straps, three minutes rest.

starting strength coach development program
    In the high heat no less - well done!

Page 11 of 103 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast