starting strength gym
Page 1 of 103 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Codger's Quest

Default Codger's Quest

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My stats: I've circled the sun 63 times; 6', 205 pounds, hope to get to 210 or 215. Not much I can do about my height except to minimize shrinkage in the years ahead.

Training: I discovered Starting Strength a few years ago, ran through the novice program, then a few goes at the Texas Method. I've had some personal coaching with a great Starting Strength coach in Albuquerque, Nick Soleyn. I entered my first meet last spring--a NASA event in New Mexico. (First place in my age group; then again, I was the only one in my age group...) Now I'm prepping for my second meet on April 29. Several weeks ago I started Andy Baker's strength and mass over 40 program: four days a week split routine, with one heavy left each day. The reps for the heavy lifts vary from week to week. So far it seems like a good program for my old bones.

This week's workouts:

Monday, 3/27: HIIT on concept 2 rower: 5-min warm up, 7x20 second sprints with 140 seconds rest between sprints; 10-min cool down.

Tuesday, 3/28:
    Press (strict): 150x3x3
    Close-grip bench: 200x7, 200x6, 200x6
    Lying triceps extension: 85x10, 85x9, 85x9
    Overhead triceps extension with dumbbell: 30x10x3

Wednesday, 3/29
    Squat: 335x3x3
    Chins: body weight plus 25 pounds: 9, 8, 7
    Rows: 180x10x2
    dumbbell curls: 35x9x3
    Last edited by codger; 03-30-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Welcome!

Nice to see another "seasoned", tall lifter amongst the ranks.

Thanks, Browndog.

Another HIIT workout on the concept 2 rower today, same as Monday: Five-minute warmup, seven 20-second sprints with 140-second rests between sprints, finished with ten-minute cooldown. I hit about 110 meters for each sprint, with a 1:30 pace, which I hope I'll be able to get down to 1:25 or so. I'm going to try to do two of these HIIT workouts every week on days that I'm not lifting. I'll be curious to see if it has any effect on the time I need to rest between heavy sets.

Today was a heavy bench, light press day in my "strength and mass over 40" program:

Light press, emphasizing bar speed: 130x3x5 (weight, reps, sets); one to two minutes rest between sets.

Heavy bench: 227.5x3x3; eight minutes rest between sets. Third rep of each set was slow but not a grind. So I think I can still add 2.5 pounds to the next cycle of 3s.

Incline dumbbell press 52.5 (each dumbbell) x10x2 (I have powerblock dumbbells--very nice but weird weight increments); four minutes rest.

Dips: bodyweight + 10 lbs: two sets, 10 reps; four minutes rest. Fairly easy. Might try three sets of dips and inclines next week, and do the dips with 15 pounds.

Felt a bit worn out from yesterday's HIIT--might have to reduce HIIT to once a week. But I felt surprisingly good and not beat up after today's workout. Tomorrow is a killer day in the S&M after 40 schedule: three sets of deadlifts, light squats, stiff-legged deadlifts, and shrugs.
    Last edited by codger; 03-31-2017 at 03:05 PM.

Light bench and heavy deadlifts today:

Squats: 275x3x5; beltless, two minutes rest between sets.

Deads: 435x3x3; beltless, straps, following Andy Baker's advice to use straps for sets of 5s and 3s to save the CNS, barehanded for singles, which I'll be doing next week. Eight minutes rest after first set; ten minutes rest after second. Third rep of each set was slow, and probably about 6 on a 1-10 agony scale.

Stiff-legged deadlift, straps (Andy's recommendation for this program): 290x8x2, five minutes rest

Shoulder shrugs: 180x15x3, four minutes rest between sets.

Now, two days of rest, maybe some walking on Monday.

Yeah straps...

I need to incorporate those into my program. My hands are beat to shit after today's work.

I hadn't used them before starting Andy Baker's program. This is the first program I've tried that calls for multiple sets of heavy deadlifts. In the Texas method and HLM I only did one heavy set of deadlifts each week, so this is quite a change. Couldn't do it without the straps.

Heavy presses for singles today, light bench.

Press: 157.5x1x3, six to six-and-half minutes rest.

Close-grip bench: 200x8, 200x7, 200x6; five minutes rest. Improved from last week. Going up to 202.5 next week as per Andy Baker's programming.

LTE: 85x10x3, an improvement over last week. Four minutes rest. Moving up to 87.5 next week.

Overhead triceps extension with dumbbell: 30x12x3, trying 32.5 next week; four minutes rest.

Everything felt good, press went up relatively smoothly, will try 160 when I do my next singles in three weeks.

starting strength coach development program
    Today: Heavy squat/upper back:

Squat: 350x1x3; six to seven minutes rest; felt pretty good. I'm hoping to hit 360, maybe 365 for my meet in three weeks.

Chins: body weight plus 25 pounds: 9, 8, 7; seven minutes rest. Think I'll try eight minutes rest next week to see if I can add a rep or two to each set.

Barbell row, with straps, as Andy Baker recommends for this program: 182.5x10x2. Going up to 185 next week. Five minutes rest.

Dumbbell curls, 35 each dumbbell: 35x10x3 (very last rep of third set with right arm only managed 9 reps). Four minutes rest.

Tomorrow's a rest day; might do an easy row on the concept 2 or 30 minutes steady state on the airdyne.

Page 1 of 103 1231151101 ... LastLast