starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BBB's Texas Method logs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You need to pick up the pace on warmups. You can get warmed up to 405 in 5-6 minutes take 4 minutes and squa the top single. Try to get warmed up to your single in 10 minutes . It should be a breeze to do this amount of work in 25 minutes start to finish. Stop farting around.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Solid work on the 420x7. High rep deadlift sets are a special breed of fun.
    Thanks, wish I had the video. I know you're into high rep deadlifts... but not sure I'd call them fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    You need to pick up the pace on warmups. You can get warmed up to 405 in 5-6 minutes take 4 minutes and squa the top single. Try to get warmed up to your single in 10 minutes . It should be a breeze to do this amount of work in 25 minutes start to finish. Stop farting around.
    OMG, finish top single in 10 mins (?). I'm also including the time to setup the rack, put on my shoes/sleeves and do some quick stretches. Seems like it should go faster, but somehow it takes a bunch of time. Will try and go faster next time. How do you warm up to 405? Have video's? Wouldn't mind pointers... thanks!

45x10,135x5,225x3,315x1(optional 365x1 if still stiff) 405x1

Do a set, load the plates do a set, load plates. They are warmup sets you should be getting warm and the work density helps.
    I don't even add a belt until 365 or 405. Literally takes 5-6 minutes to get to 405. And I'm 46. No stretching, just squat and load plates. You will warmup.
    This comes in handy at meets when I know I only need 10 minutes to be ready for an opener, things can go south and start times get announced wrong.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 05-06-2017 at 04:45 PM.

If you're deadlifting last, set up the rack for squats between sets. It will be ready to go for your next session.

I use similar warmups as Bryan mention, but skip the empty bar. Every lift starts at 135, except the deadlift because I use 100 pounders. If my garage is set up ahead of time (and I didn't leave a bar loaded with my last deadlift work set), I'm doing a work set within 10 minutes of walking in.

That said - if you're having an awesome time during your sessions as-is, keep going and have fun!

I have been leaving an extra bar on the platform with 225 loaded for deadlift warmups myself. You find little ways to be more efficient with your time if it is important to you.

45x10,135x5,225x3,315x1(optional 365x1 if still stiff) 405x1

Do a set, load the plates do a set, load plates. They are warmup sets you should be getting warm and the work density helps.
    I don't even add a belt until 365 or 405. Literally takes 5-6 minutes to get to 405. And I'm 46. No stretching, just squat and load plates. You will warmup.
    This comes in handy at meets when I know I only need 10 minutes to be ready for an opener, things can go south and start times get announced wrong.
    Hmm... I do warm up quickly at meets... ok, good point. Alright, will try it, thanks.

I can definitely use some of the tricks you guys mentioned at home, but not at the gym. Good tips either way, will do it!

2017-05-13 - Sat Intensity day

Total time: ~75min

Feelz: Meh.. didn't really feel like lifting. Recovering from the lack of sleep, jet lag, too much drinking, etc. On top of that, nursing lower back... hurt it last Sat. As a result, didn't follow the program. Just did whatever I felt like.

Squats: 405x1x3, 365x3x3
    Worked on warming up a bit faster, but not too fast, due to compromised lower back. Didn't feel comfortable going for any more intensity or volume. Probably shouldn't have even done as much as I have.

Bench: Comp. Bench: 265x1 [PR], 275x1 [PR]; Backoff 225x5x2 (video)
    Surprised myself by gettong 2 PR's. Was just screwing around and got them. Yay! Capped it off by doing a couple of 225x5 backoff sets, just to get a bit of upper body stimulus.

RDLs: 225x5x3
    Didn't want any stress on the lower back from heavy DL's, so just did some RDL's. Hoping this will help me with flattening out my back in conventional DL's.

2017-05-16 - Tue Volume Day

Total time: ~70min

Feelz: Meh again. Mentally beat. Lower back hurts in normal life, but thankfully didn't bother me during lifting. Forgot protein shake and didn't eat anything prior, so felt deprived of energy.

Squats: 425x1, 355x5x4
    Warmed up really fast today. Got to 405 within 10 mins, but was definitely feeling tired. I think total squat time was just under 30-mins. Much more sweaty and out of breath than usual. The rest of the sets felt like I was squatting on noodles due to the low rest intervals. No chance of failure, but felt like rep quality went down. Not sure it's worth the trade-off. We'll see.

Bench: 215x5x5
    Same as squats, didn't catch much of a breath. Had to really mentally concentrate to ensure I got all the reps. Probably a combination of fatigue and life stress. Commercial gym bench doesn't help here.

Rows: 150x10x3
    Had some time left over, so took a bit more time here, more than usual.

Video just has a few of the squats...

Last edited by BBB; 05-16-2017 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Added video

Don't forget your food. Your adding the new stress of upping your work tempo. You need to eat to help cope.and do you creatine? If not start.

starting strength coach development program
    Don't forget your food. Your adding the new stress of upping your work tempo. You need to eat to help cope.and do you creatine? If not start.
    Was in a rush, grabbed the kids and went as soon as I got from work. Will definitely grab a fruit and my shake next time.

Re creatine, I started taking 5g/day after I was already squatting 405+ and I never noticed a difference, even after a full month of loading. I may just be a non-responder(?). Still continue to put 5g in my shake, but that's only 3x/wk.

P.S. Added a vid to the above post. Looking at it on my laptop I don't see myself straining as much as I thought I was *shrug*

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast