starting strength gym
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Han Shot First

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Euby View Post
    Aaron, if you're sure those last few squat sets were @9 then my understanding is that this will do you in at that volume. I know Jordan says do sets across ideally but if your work capacity isn't quite up to handling this then I'd think dropping a little weight prepemtively is better than grinding out several sets at such a high intensity. What do you think?
    I'm not sure of anything, except that my back hurt when I woke up this morning. I still haven't formulated an opinion on HLM, RPE, sets across @RPE9, etc. I do tend to try and preempt RPE increases by dropping a bit of weight on the next set, but it's a bit of an art form. It also largely depends on the music I have on and if I'm trying to get psyched up or not. Also, certain movements are more conducive to RPE9 than others. I don't mind RPE9 on pin squats, because it doesn't really stress my lower back. RPE9 on rack pulls is another story.

TLDR; it depends.

The Bridge W4D3

204.4lb (oops, not trying to lose weight this quickly)

- DL (5@6, 5@6, 5@8 x3 sets)(5 min rest):
    135x5
    225x5
    270x5@6?
    285x5@7
    300x5@7.5-8
    305x5@8
    305x5@8.5
    - 1ct paused Bench (5@6, 5@7, 5@8 x5 sets)(3-4 min rest):
    135x5@5-6?
    150x5@7?
    165x5@8?
    170x5@8.5
    170x5@8
    170x5@8.5
    170x5@8
    - 3-0-3 Tempo Squat (8@7, 8@8, 8@9 x2 sets)(3 min rest):
    45x8
    95x8
    135x6 (had zero motivation to do these)

Notes: Not eating enough so weight is going down. Hard to eat consistently during the school year. Deadlifts went ok. Gonna switch 1ct bench for TnG soon I think. 3-0-3 Tempo Squats suck, and I'm not gonna do them anymore. Need to find some other variation. If I'm gonna do 8 reps, it's not gonna be with a slow tempo. Right elbow hurts like crazy after today's session, and my right shoulder is feeling tweaked/agitated. Ugh.

Default Bridge Week 5: What is this new devilry?

9/26/17

THE BRIDGE: Week 5 Day 1 (Mod. Stress)

*** Didn't get much sleep last night, lots of tossing and turning. Got up before 6am to attend orientation for Fedex Ground.

- Squat (4@RPE6, 4@7, 4@8 x3 sets)(5 min rest)
    185x4
    225x4
    255x4@6?
    270x4@7?
    285x4@8
    285x4@8
    285x4@8 (almost passed out)
    5,520lb (20 reps)
    - 3ct. paused bench (4@7, 4@8, 4@9 x2 sets)(4 min rest)
    135x4@6?
    150x4@7?
    165x4@8
    175x4@9
    175x4@9
    3,200lb (20 reps)
    - 2ct. paused deadlift, 1" off the floor (4@7, 4@8, 4@9 x2 sets)(5 min rest)
    135x4@this sucks
    185x4@already feeling lower back
    195x4@6? already?
    215x4@7?
    225x4@8?
    235x4@8?
    255x4@8.5?
    3,720lb (16 reps)
    - BB Curls @ 7min (55lb x58 reps total)

Main lift tonnage: 12,440lb (56 reps)

Notes: 3ct. paused bench and 2ct. paused deadlift sucks. That is all.

I have a feeling training is going to go down the tube given lack of consistent sleep, not eating enough, and new job that requires getting up before the sun.

Aaron, hate to hear about your struggles but understand them for sure. Happens to everyone at times. Do you have access to a leg press machine? I've heard Jordan say he prefers the leg press in many programs as a supplemental squat variant since it gives the low back a break. You can get some volume on the hips and legs. In fact some of his recently released templates have them included in the early weeks in some spots.

Is the low back issue just showing up in the workouts for you, or do you have a persistent issue with it on off days? I ask because my low back is screaming after many of this workouts. If feels kind of like having a pump but in your low back it isn't pleasant feeling at all. Still, a few hours after the workout it has mostly resided, though I'll feel a deep fatigue into the next day if I try to do much at all in terms of lifting things, or even light yard work. But by the next workout session I'm generally okay, at least I am during non-high stress week. That was fairly brutal all week long.

Good luck with the new job! Sounds like you'll be moving a lot on this job, lifting packages and such I assume. That might take some stress-recovery-adaptation on it's own so take it easy, and try to get more food down if you can. That part is tough sometimes but I have found I really pay the price if I don't get my calories in.

Quote Originally Posted by Euby View Post
    Aaron, hate to hear about your struggles but understand them for sure. Happens to everyone at times. Do you have access to a leg press machine? I've heard Jordan say he prefers the leg press in many programs as a supplemental squat variant since it gives the low back a break. You can get some volume on the hips and legs. In fact some of his recently released templates have them included in the early weeks in some spots.

Is the low back issue just showing up in the workouts for you, or do you have a persistent issue with it on off days? I ask because my low back is screaming after many of this workouts. If feels kind of like having a pump but in your low back it isn't pleasant feeling at all. Still, a few hours after the workout it has mostly resided, though I'll feel a deep fatigue into the next day if I try to do much at all in terms of lifting things, or even light yard work. But by the next workout session I'm generally okay, at least I am during non-high stress week. That was fairly brutal all week long.

Good luck with the new job! Sounds like you'll be moving a lot on this job, lifting packages and such I assume. That might take some stress-recovery-adaptation on it's own so take it easy, and try to get more food down if you can. That part is tough sometimes but I have found I really pay the price if I don't get my calories in.
    Hey Euby, I wish I had access to a leg press machine, but alas, I only have a power rack for lifting in my garage. Lower back has been consistently an issue for several weeks now. Squatting, rack pulls, working at Fedex Ground, and sitting in traffic a lot now that school is in session all adds up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Hey Euby, I wish I had access to a leg press machine, but alas, I only have a power rack for lifting in my garage. Lower back has been consistently an issue for several weeks now. Squatting, rack pulls, working at Fedex Ground, and sitting in traffic a lot now that school is in session all adds up.
    Yeah, I can empathize as my low back and hamstrings seem to be the things that are always a bit fatigued and sore. Hang in there!

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617