starting strength gym
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Han Shot First

Default Han Shot First

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For those of you who are unaware because you never watched Star Wars on VHS, Han shot first

I've moved on from SSLP, previous log here: Doing the Program (for real this time)

Current stats:

Body weight: 194.2lb
    Cals/day: 4100
    Macros: 137/468/250 (F/C/P)
    Waist: 37.5/33.25 (relaxed/sucked in)
    BF%: ~20%
    Squat: 290x5
    Bench: 180 3x5
    OHP: 100 5x5
    Deadlift: 325x3

Just started my second week of Baker HLM, with some programming advice from a local SSC, Austin Baraki. Going to try to make weekly gains on the main lifts for as long as possible, while adding a couple pounds of body weight every month. No desire to compete, just want to hit 5/4/3/2 eventually and look like I lift. To borrow a pithy rhyme from Mr. Wolf, "swole is the goal, size is the prize." I'll probably end up running some program by Mike Israetel or Greg Nuckols eventually. Unless of course Mr. Hanley or Izzy come up with something amazing by the time I'm done with HLM
    Last edited by Aaron Montgomery; 05-02-2017 at 11:23 AM.

HLM Week 2 (H)

5/2/17
    194.2lb

Bench - 180 3x5; 170 2x5
    Pushups - x15/15/10 (60s rest)
    Squat - 290x5 (PR); 275x5; 265x5
    Hammer Curls - 15x12/12/9 (2-1-2 Tempo, 60s rest)
    DL (M) - 265 2x5

Bench - Good bar speed today. 6 min between sets. I'll try another 5lb jump next week.
    Squat - Got lazy and only video taped my last set, which was 1" high, so I'm not sure how sets one and two were. I'll make sure to tape all sets, including warmups, from now on. No grinders though, and had a good amount of energy today.
    DL (M) - Lower back felt tight with the warmups, bar speed of first set was horrendous. Put straps on for the second set, and the lift went up fast.

Guess all the walking around at Sea World on Saturday and a bad night of sleep (allergies) Sunday didn't mess with my recovery for today's session. Feeling a bit fat when I bend over to tie my shoes.

HLM Week 2 (L)

5/4/17 (May the 4th be with you!)
    195.6lb (PR)

OHP - 102.5 5x5
    DB front raises - 10x13/10/8 (these burn!)
    DB lateral raises - 10x8/8/8 (feel the pump!)
    Chinups - x5,4/4/4/4/5/3 (29 total)
    BB Curls - 45x15/10
    Squat (L) - 230 3x5

OHP - 4 minutes rest between sets, last set RPE 8 if I was forced to wager, not that I'm into RPE or wagers. The shoulder bro work with 10lb dumbbells was more difficult...
    Chinups - Not doing these with a timer anymore. My grip strength is non-existent, so I just did my chinups between squat warmup and working sets. Much better than last week's effort with a 8 minute timer.
    Squat - Videotaped every single set today. I'm having a lot of issues hitting full depth consistently, not sure why. Wasn't having any issues with depth 2 weeks ago...

Nice hitting a PR on light day, even if it is just a bodyweight PR.
    Last edited by Aaron Montgomery; 05-04-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Thumbs up Weights and Measures

Just for giggles, I reviewed and old log book to see what my weights/measurements were in 2011.

08/2011
    130lb @ 6'1" (YIKES!)
    Ankle - 9"
    Wrist - 6.5"
    Neck - 13"
    Chest - 33"
    Bicep - 10"
    Waist - 30"
    Hips - 35"
    Thigh - 19"
    Calves - 13.5"

05/2017
    195.6lb @ 6'1"
    Neck - 16
    Chest - 42.5/43.5 (unflexed/flexed, no pump)
    Bicep - 13.75/14.75
    Waist - 37.5/33.25 (relaxed/sucked in)
    Hips - 40.75
    Thigh - 24.25
    Calves - 15.5

Long-term goal, get 30" thighs so that my thighs are the size my waist used to be Oh, and transform my arms into something that doesn't resemble a twig.

HLM Week 2 (M)

5/6/17

Close-grip Bench - 150 3x5; 125x10/10 (accidentally loaded 1st set to 145)
    DL (H) - 330x3 (PR); 295x3
    Inc db Curls - 10x15/12/10
    EZ Standing Tri-ext - 35x12/12/12
    Squat - 260 3x5

Good day overall, despite a horrible night of sleep 2 nights ago. Good bar speed on bench, only 4m rest needed between sets. Deadlift was solid, I like deadlifting before squatting more on medium day I think. Squats were good, but still inconsistent depth. About 1/2"-1" high 25% of the time.

Been having a hard time breathing at night due to nasal congestion and chest tightness. Probably allergy induced asthma; been a long time since I've had issues with it. Also getting heart palpitations when I lay down, but I'm guessing it's related to difficulty breathing. Should probably see my doctor about it sometime if it keeps giving me issues sleeping.

That is really awesome to look through old numbers and see definite progress. We get caught up in the day-to-day often, whether this program is best or optimum or whatever, but results like that are reassuring you're on the right track. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    That is really awesome to look through old numbers and see definite progress. We get caught up in the day-to-day often, whether this program is best or optimum or whatever, but results like that are reassuring you're on the right track. Keep it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Agree! On days when my bench feels terrible (that is, most days where I bench) I always like thinking back to college and benching 95lbs for a rep or two, and having my girlfriend (now wife) help me with a few extra reps.

Also, the limited edition DVDs from 2006-07 have the VHS versions as bonus material. It looks like ANH is nearly $60 on Amazon right now though. And Return of the Jedi is $100!
    Thanks for stopping by! I remember the first time I deadlifted 135lb, it was the heaviest weight I had ever touched in my life, and I thought I was going to pass out. Now 135lb barely qualifies as a warmup for me. I also remember reaching a 135lb bench, and thinking I would never get it above 150 because of how heavy it felt. Gotta keep raising the bar!

Do... or do not. There is no try.

Can you even buy VHS players anymore allent? Or rewinders for that matter :P

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    You can get VHS players, yes. I don't have one, but I've kept the VHS version of the Trilogy just in case... The DVDs are the way to go if you can get them. I am eternally saddened that I got the gold boxes of ANH and ESB but the silver box of RotJ (or the other way around, I can't remember, it was a difference in the printing batch, something like the last run final chance thing)
    I'm tempted to buy a 1080p TV and a blue-ray player just to watch Star Wars on it. Have you seen Episodes IV-VI on blue-ray? Do they look much better than DVD?

Default Discovered RPE 10 today

HLM Week 3 H

5/9/17
    195.6lb

Bench - 185 3x5 (5 rep PR); 175 2x5
    db flyes - 10x20/15
    pushups - x15/13/13
    Squat - 295x5 (PR; rpe 10); 280x5; 265x5
    Hammer Curls - 20x10/X (painful "pop" in brachioradialis)
    DL - 270 2x5 (slow eccentric)

Bench - 5lb jump was too much, bar path slowed down drastically today. Time for 2.5lb jumps. Oh well, got it done.
    Squat - videotaped warmups, good form on all warmups. The first 3 reps for 295 were good, the last 2 were herculean efforts with atrocious form out of the hole. No clue how to use RPE, but that was definitely a 10. Going to ask Andy Baker what changes I should make to Medium day squats, because next week isn't going to be good at this rate.
    Hammer Curls - getting a painful "pop" in right forearm, even without a db, when going through the hammer curl range of motion. Going to stop doing these for a while and do regular db curls instead.
    DL - Felt uber tired, but focused on lifting fast, and lowering slow.

starting strength coach development program
    HLM Week 3 L

5/11/17
    197.8lb (PR!)
    4150 cals/day

OHP - 105 3x5; 100 2x5 (4m rest)
    db front/lateral raises - 8lb x20/15
    Chinups - 8x4 (32 total)
    Squat - 235 3x5

Got up at 1:30am b/c the youngest was crying. Tossed and turned for 1.5 hours after that. Woke up with quite a bit of lower back pain, couldn't bend over to touch my toes while seated. No plans today, so I took my time doing static stretches, foam rolling, and using a tennis ball. Did a bunch of squats and RDL's with just the BB for 15 minutes to get my lower back to cooperate. It still hurt while lifting, but the pain didn't increase with added weight.

OHP - Last 2 reps of all sets were rather slow. I don't want to increase rest time beyond 4 minutes, so I'll utilize drop sets to get some volume in.
    Chinups - worked these in throughout the session. My right arm wants to flare out, which is causing a bit of elbow pain. Odd that my right arm flares out on chinups and OHP.
    Squat - These were rough since my lower back was sore/tweaked. 1" below parallel though.

I messaged Mr. Baker about struggling with my squat on Heavy day, and he suggested I increase the intensity on L and M day, since my working set weights aren't that heavy. I think this is a good idea, and I'll try to squat 95% of Heavy day on Medium day, which would be 280lb. Hopefully my lower back feels better by Saturday.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast