• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Heavy Squat
    430x1x5

Volume press
    155x5x4,155x4,155x3x3

Halting Deadlift 485x8 - YouTube

My squat Singles felt pretty routine for the most part. None were really grinders, but not terribly easy either. Hopefully the drastic reduction of volume will give me some what of a taper effect over the next few weeks. The 4 sets of 5 press was actually a PR. I've gotten 155x5x3 before, but I got a fourth set tonight. I failed the third set at 4 reps. Got my self together and got two more sets with 5, then could only manage 3 reps on my sixth set, I then decided to do two more sets at 3 reps. All of the triples last week seemed to net a small amount of progress towards my Intensity Day, so hopefully I'll get that same effect for this week. PR on Haltings, I've been gunning for 8 reps with that weight for some time now.

Nice squats, nice work.

Light Squat
    350x5x3

Light Press
    139x5x3

Chins
    BWx6x3

Not a lot to talk about here really. Squats felt solid at tree-fity, bar speed was nice on the press. Few sets of chins to keep the ol guns pumped up!

Medium Squat
    385x5

Intensity Press
    183x0

Chins
    BW X 7

Not a very good day. I reduced my medium day squat to just one working set of 5. One of those sets where after rep 3 you say to yourself "man, these shouldn't be THAT heavy". I guess they weren't terribly difficult, but it seems like I've handled 385 with a bit more authority before. Couldn't land a press single to save my life. My last warmups felt stale/fatigued, so I'm thinking that maybe I over did it with the volume Sunday. I was thinking that a bit more volume may be beneficial, but now I believe the opposite may be true. Man, the games of trial and error of being an intermediate lifter. Going to deload my volume day a bit this Sunday, then take another shot at 183 for singles and see what happens. If I miss again, then it's time for a new program.

Light Squat
    355x3x3

Light Press
    130x5x3

Chins
    Bw x 7,6,6

Medium Day Squat
    390x5

Intensity Press
    183x0

Went 0-5 on my press singles again. I think the TM has ran its course. I noted that although I reset my volume day load, I still felt quite fatigued in my upper body. My last warmup @ 165 felt a lot harder than it did a couple of weeks ago. Recovery wise I believe I'm ok. My BW is staying the same, alcohol consumption is about the same as it's always been, I still take a couple of tokes off of a joint every now and then, mainly just to relax, not enough to be considered "burned out". Didn't sleep well for a couple of nights, but I go through spells of that at times( doesn't everyone?). So I'm considering deloading my press a bit, run a quick LP and try to tone in the 2.0 technique while at the same time let some fatigue dissipate.

Heavy Squat
    440x1x5

Press
    135x5x3

Halting DL
    490x5

Squats felt pretty decent. Wasn't too terribly difficult for the most part, and was confident that I wouldn't miss any. Tried the 2.0 technique for press and it didn't go very well. It's like I either waited to long and the "springing " like aspect was muted, or I just left my hips forward. I can't seem to get my hips back in that nice fluid motion like some lifters can. I'm just going to stick with the short LP, add 2lbs. each session, and keep pressing the way I have been with the stretch reflex and a little layback. Was kind of disappointed in myself on the haltings. Pretty much had the 6th rep up to the bottom of knee, but got lazy and didn't fight with it those last few inches. That, and I had a big rack pull PR last week, and my back has felt kind of fatigued all week. I pull full deadlifts next week, so hopefully I'll get a PR. What's interesting about me pulling only 5 reps is that I deadlifted 500x5 recently. There isn't much difference between the weights used for my haltings, and sometimes I'm just not there for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Bradley Gish; 07-30-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Light Squat
    360x3x3

Press
    137x5x3

Chins
    BWx7x3

starting strength coach development program
    Medium Squat
    395x5

Press
    140x5x2
    140x4x1
    135x5x2( was mainly Dicking around trying the 2.0 press)

BB Rows
    165x5x3

Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast