starting strength gym
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: (Not) The greatest log in the world (this is just a tribute)

Default (Not) The greatest log in the world (this is just a tribute)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Time for a new log, since I guess technically I'm an intermediate now. My old one is here for anyone who's interested. The short version of me though, is:

Height: 5'11"
    Weight: About 67kg right now
    Lifting since: May 2016 (just over a year)

The high(low)lights of my history:

- At the start of 2016 I was fat and weak @ 106kgs plus - from Jan to August I lost roughly 40kgs with a low calorie diet and plenty of exercise - mostly walking and cardio on an elliptical.
    - Started lifting in May 2016 in an attempt to add muscle (to speed metabolism and help me keep the weight off), improve my physique and get stronger. Discovered Stronglifts 5x5 first, then Starting Strength. Ran an LP, but it was compromised by my unwillingness to gain significant weight. I also have a 2 year old daughter who doesn't sleep well, so my sleep is regularly less than I'd like, and interrupted.
    - From about September 2016 to February 2017 I started eating more, put on 6kgs or so, and saw some gains in my lifts through running SS and then HLM. However I was never really happy with my physique, the weight I added seemed to be mostly fat.
    - Gained a bunch of weight real quick in February while away on a golf trip. Got stressed about it and dieted down again for about 8 weeks, lost the weight but lost some strength too. Ran HLM and then Andy Baker's S&M After 40 for a while.
    - Since about early April I've been reverse dieting to try and improve my metabolism, been using Avatar Nutrition to do it for the last couple of months and just hitting around maintenance now. Expecting to start slowly gaining shortly, if I'm not already - the trend is heading that way.
    - Got sick of mucking with my own programming so I've been running with Andy's Baker Barbell Club for a few weeks now and really enjoying it so far.

My lifts are nothing spectacular (at ALL) but I enjoy lifting and improving myself - goals wise I just wanna keep getting stronger and looking like I lift - I'm not chasing absolute strength, and would probably rather stay lean(ish), though I think I'd like to compete in a PL meet one day. Progress is slow because of my issues with weight gain, recovery issues and my age - but the current long term plan is to try and bulk/cut between 10-15% body fat and try to get to 75kg+ at a similar BF% to where I am now within a few years.

Anyway. Enjoy the log. First entry to come shortly!

Tue 11/07: Bench volume

Food yesterday: Target: 2703 kcal / Actual: 2641 kcal - macros compliant

Activity yesterday: 9.4k steps

Sleep last night: 6 hrs 2 mins (34mins awake)

AM BW: 67.8kg (+0.4kg)

Bench Press:
    2x5 @ 20kg
    1x5 @ 45kg
    2x2 @ 65kg
    1x3 @ 65kg
    1x5, 2x6 @ 57.5kg back offs

Incline Bench Press:
    2x5, 2x6 @ 45kg

Seated Dumbbell Curls:
    1x7, 2x8 @ 30lbs

Dips:
    4x10 @ BW + 10kg

EZ Bar Curls:
    1x14, 1x12 @ 27.5kg
    1x12 @ 25kg

Footage of some work sets:
    _______
    • Got my prediction right on what the workout would be! Felt pretty tired and weak this morning though, really MUST get better/more sleep tonight.
    • Session notes:
      • The bench RX was for a couple of max effort sets @ 90% of 1RM - 65kg is a tiny bit higher than that. I wanted triples but was a bit disappointed to only manage doubles; did an extra set at actual 80% to make me happier. Backoffs were a tiny b it higher than the RX too.
      • Meh @ incline bench. Think I should've been able to manage more weight/reps than this. Again did an extra set.
      • Curls, dips, curls, and my arms were absolutely smoked by the end. Forgot I was supposed to superset the last two movements, but I only took really short breaks anyway. Because of that plus the extra sets it took 1hr 27 mins all up. Pretty good pump if nothing else
    • Have a great Tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Keep up the good work!
    Hah! We were posting in each other's logs at the same time. Thanks man - you too!

I love the variety Andy throws in. And bench days are always good even when they're shit.

Nice work!

welcome to the second floor.

how are you finding Avatar? Izzy N was plugging them the other day. I probably should have someone look at my nutrition because I obviously can't sort myself out

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    Nice work!
    Thanks Jan!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    welcome to the second floor.

how are you finding Avatar? Izzy N was plugging them the other day. I probably should have someone look at my nutrition because I obviously can't sort myself out
    Thanks Simon! Hope your injury heals up soon, sounds like you're still battling with it.

I watched Izzy's video the other day, and I agree with pretty much everything he said (even though I'm using it to reverse diet, not lose fat). It works well for what it is - basically just a customisable macro calculator that adjusts based on the inputs you give it. I'd been doing my own calories (but not counting macros, apart from protein) but didn't trust what I was doing to be right. I was skeptical at first (especially as I went from maybe 220g of protein a day back down to 170 or so, and upped carbs LOTS) but I've been pleasantly surprised by the results - I actually leaned out a bit more for the first few weeks and my training and day to day feels have been a LOT better.

For me, I think it's been well worth the money - the calculator and the really active, supportive Facebook group (which helps me avoid boring my wife to death with diet and health talk) are what I like the most, but there are recipes and resources too, probably not much you can't find elsewhere, but still.. for $10USD/mth it's one less thing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post
    My lifts are nothing spectacular (at ALL) but I enjoy lifting and improving myself - goals wise I just wanna keep getting stronger and looking like I lift - I'm not chasing absolute strength, and would probably rather stay lean(ish), though I think I'd like to compete in a PL meet one day. Progress is slow because of my issues with weight gain, recovery issues and my age - but the current long term plan is to try and bulk/cut between 10-15% body fat and try to get to 75kg+ at a similar BF% to where I am now within a few years.

Anyway. Enjoy the log. First entry to come shortly!
    First off - don't put yourself down. You have made some great progress, and are continuing to do so. Focus on what you have done and be positive about it.

Second - with a log name like this, you might want to change your username to Tenacious B!

Keep pushing on and eating the elephant (one bite at a time).

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    First off - don't put yourself down. You have made some great progress, and are continuing to do so. Focus on what you have done and be positive about it.

Second - with a log name like this, you might want to change your username to Tenacious B!

Keep pushing on and eating the elephant (one bite at a time).
    Thanks Chebass!! Wasn't intended as a put down at all. It's just hard not to compare myself to others and there are so many other strong bastards on here, just being realistic. That said - I remember failing much lighter weights than I am lifting now, I've come a long way and will keep making progress because I love training, like so many others I just wish I'd discovered it earlier in life.

Great suggestion on the username

Thu 13/07: Sqwatz

Food yesterday: Target: 2703 kcal / Actual: 2642 kcal - macros compliant

Activity yesterday: 7.9k steps

Sleep last night: 7 hrs 51 mins - 32 mins awake

AM BW: 67.7kg (-0.1kg)

Back Squat:
    2x5 @ 20kg
    1x5 @ 45kg
    1x5 @ 65kg
    ---Belt On (5th hole)---
    1x3 @ 85kg
    1x2 @ 100kg
    1x5 @ 110kg
    4x6 @ 95kg

SLDL (2" Deficit):
    1x6 @ 70kg
    3x8 @ 92.5kg

--GPP Superset---

Hamstring Curls:
    20 reps @ 15kg

then

Standing Calf Raises:
    20 reps @ 45lbs in each hand

then

Ab Wheel Rollouts:
    20 reps (from knees)

rinse and repeat twice more.....

Moving picture:
    _______
    • Did 20 mins lazy cardio on the elliptical yesterday AM (which I didn't bother to log here), but other than that I've had a pretty inactive couple of days. Weight is trending up a tiny bit.
    • Session notes:
      • Squeezed out 5 reps at just aboout 90% of 1RM, which is one more than expected by the RX. Either my 1RM is too conservative (maybe...probably) or I am getting stronger. Fatigue (and shallowness) started to set in on the back off sets though.
      • SLDLs went OK. Tired lower back by the end, not sure I used enough hamstring this time, in fact the first set was more like a conventional deadlift, I didn't have the bar out far enough from my shins. Last couple of sets were much harder when I fixed that!
      • That GPP... the RX was 2-5 rounds, who the fuck is going to do 5 rounds of that ? I aimed for 3 and that was plenty. Normally on a Friday AM I'd get up early and walk or do something but I am doubtful I'll feel up to that... my legs are smoked.
      • It was a 1hr 15 min session. I do like Thursday nights usually but this was especially decent.
    • Have a great evening!

starting strength coach development program
    Sun 16/07: Press Volume

Food yesterday: Target: 2805 kcal / Actual: 2765 kcal - macros compliant

Activity yesterday: 10.4k steps

Sleep last night: 8 hrs 8 mins - 39 mins awake

AM BW: 67.8kg (+0.1kg)

Overhead Press:
    2x5 @ 20kg
    1x5 @ 32.5kg
    1x1 @ 40kg
    2x3 @ 45kg
    4x6 @ 40kg - volume PR maybe

Lateral Raises:
    13 @ 10lbs, 17 @ 8.5lbs
    20 @ 10lbs, 10 @ 8.5lbs
    20 @ 8.5lbs, 15 @ 6.8lbs

Lying Tricep Extensions:
    3x8 @ 34kgs

Dips (AMRAP sets):
    18, 15, 13 @ BW

EZ Bar Curls:
    1x6 @ 34kg
    10, 9, 8 @ 30kg (PR I think)

Today's funniest home video:
    _______
    • Love weigh in day when macros go up. Average weight for the week was up .4kg from last week but that was mostly due to one blow out day where I jumped a kilo overnight, other than that it was pretty consistent all week. New macros average out at 358C / 177P / 79F for 2851kcal. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I don't put on a bit more than that this week, as this intake is now right on the level where I was gaining weight pretty consistently late last year.
    • Still feeling DOMs from Thursday night! Yesterday hamstrings and abs were tight, hammies mostly better today but I felt the abs during the LTEs! My recoverability is just shithouse...
    • Session notes:
      • Got triples at 90% of 1RM, which is what I was going for. Was easier than I expected, and _maybe_ even had another in the tank on the first set, but didn't attempt it. Back off work was probably a volume PR, only because I don't think I've attempted it before. Was grindy by the end though.
      • Lateral raises, drop sets up to 30 reps, had to get the baby spinlock dumbbells out, good thing I never sold 'em. Weird weights because they're in kilos and my Ironmasters are in lbs. Shoulders got a mad burn, did 5 extra reps at the end since I felt like I could.
      • Might have gone slightly too conservative with weight on the LTEs, I managed 7 @ 35kg last time round and then backed off. Definitely felt stronger this time, only thing is my hips got really crampy and weird on all three sets which hasn't happened before. Not painful or anything though. Adjusted position a couple of times but couldn't get rid of it.
      • Bodyweight dips times many, to just completely fry the triceps at the end.
      • Curls weren't in the rx but since it'd been pretty quick to that point (like 60 mins or so) decided I may as well hit biceps too while I was packing up the gym and use the weight on the bar. This is probably a PR as well, weight and volume wise. My arms are popping big time.
      • All up, a 1hr 19 min session, where I hit all the numbers I wanted to and felt good afterwards, so it doesn't really get any better than this. Choice bro!
    • Hope everyone reading has a great Sunday and smashes some PRs!

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast