starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott's training log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    8.17.17 workout
    I met with Walter Palmer in Lexington for 90 mins and had a really helpful session. Did my medium squats with him before deadlifting just because it made sense to do a longer session and get some more stuff in in front of a coach after the decently long drive from Cincinnati to Lexington.

Sets/weights were:
    Squat - 230 3 x 5
    Deadlift - 295 1 x 5

Take aways on squats: I could narrow my stance a little. Widened stance out fairly substantially after attending a Chris Duffin Kabuki seminar, partially to reduce a bit of functional depth, as I always went too deep. Walter pointed out that narrowing stance a little should help with some minor knee stuff I've been having, and as long as bracing is good, depth will be controlled. So to summarize, squat cues were: closer stance, brace better, control the descent more.

Much of the deadlift cues were familiar territory for someone who's read the book and worked with a SSC before. Very recently, as my set up has gotten to a 95% correct point, I've noticed my shoulders don't align exactly where they would in the book - they're a bit farther back. Walter pointed out that with short arms and a medium-length torso, I may always be slightly farther back from the bar. With that said, we continued to work on keeping the hips up where they should be, which gets the shoulders as far out as they're able to be for my anthropometry. He also brought up a good point - since my COM is already going to be a tad farther back than most, socks are a bad idea. He commented on this after seeing a video where I was experimenting with them in which I nearly fell back on a pull because my weight got shifted so far back. I have a tendency to pull the bar off the floor slightly during set up with lighter weights - sometimes even a couple inches if it's 135. He attributed this to my arm length and said it should be fine, since I've seen video of heavier lifts in which that stops happening, and I just end up pulling the slack out of the bar. He suggested a bar with a bit of flex for heavy pulls to help offset my arm length if I can get my hands on it - which, at my gym, isn't likely, unfortunately. Walter seems to think I'm way below my actual strength levels on deadlifts due to all the time I've spent honing form below my limits. He suggested going up by 10 increments on a once a week pull structure for a while to catch up. Form-wise, I got a bit closer to flexion than I'd prefer on my last 2 reps, especially the final one. I'll partially blame that on a bench PR the day before, which at the time wrecked my erectors. Not too worried.

Deadlift summary of all points - don't drop hips on "chest squeeze" portion, wear Oly shoes, don't deliberate when setting the bar down - just set it down, get access to a DL-friendly bar if feasible, work on pull sequence - push through floor, then wedge hips forward once bar clears knees.

All in all, a really helpful session. I'll continue period visits to Mia Inman, who's a little closer to me, but I'll try to schedule one more session with Walter in a couple months. It's always nice to get more than one set of eyes on a needy lift. I recommend anyone reading this log who needs some help to find a SSC. Even if they're a bit of a drive away, they all know their stuff and will be able to help you greatly.
    Deadlift - 8.17.17 - YouTube
    Last edited by nkupianist; 08-18-2017 at 06:35 AM.

Video of 8.14 workout - late posting, and it appears I can't edit the post due to its age. 8.14.17 workout - YouTube

8.18 workout:
    Heavy bench 260 5 x 5
    Tri extension 85 3 x 5

Feeling pretty beaten up between all the PR attempts and the broken up scheduling this week due to my SSC consult. Was going to squat today, 8.19, but lower back and hips still pretty shot. Going to rest and repeat last week's squat weights and progress on all other lifts as scheduled. Going in today isn't worth a back tweak. Next week's heavy squat day will be 240.

8.21.17 log:
    Squat (light day): 220 3 x 5
    Press: 155 3 x 5
    Deadlift: 305 1 x 5

Trying the 10 pound pull jumps as suggested during my SSC session. Not the happiest with my form just yet - still tending to drop my hips a bit and get a little too over/behind the bar. Last 2 reps especially weren't as extended as I'd like. I also need to drive into the floor more to start the pull - to my eye (and others who've watched in separate form checks), I tend to initiate the pull with my erectors, and my legs lock out too late in the lift. On the bright side, on the pull itself, 305 didn't really feel heavy, and it went up very fast on all reps.

After my last SSC session, I'm working on a slightly closer stance than I was using. I'd been squatting wider to avoid going too deep and flexing in the bottom. Going back to a slightly more SS-friendly stance, I'm now focusing on bracing even harder and slowing down the eccentric a bit. Despite feeling slow, on video, squats were still a little faster on the descent than they had to be.

7.21.17 workout - YouTube
    Last edited by nkupianist; 08-22-2017 at 06:31 AM.

8.23.17 workout (video not yet posted - will edit post and include when complete)
    Squat (medium day) - 230 3 x 5, these looked the best they have in a very long time. Coach Palmer's stance width suggestion helped a lot.
    Bench (medium day), paused - 240 3 x 5
    Deadlift - 315 1 x 5. Did this against my better judgment in an attempt to milk this temporary pulling LP as much as possible. Filmed from the sticky requested angle for the SSCs and submitted a form check. Angle doesn't catch all lumbar flexion, but it does show all the other joints better, and other than a bit of forward bar roll before the pull, these looked pretty decent to my eye.

8.25.17 workout:
    Squat - 240 5 x 5
    Bench - 265 5 x 5
    Deadlift - 315 1 x 2 just did these to send to the coaches as a reply to a form check - didn't want to tax my back.
    PC - 135 3 x 3
    Chins - 8 8 6
    https://youtu.be/mwYN0pgLtBA

8.28.17 workout
    Squat - 215 3 x 5
    Press - 160 3 x 5
    Deadlift - 325 1 x 5
    Tri extension - 90 3 x 5

8.28 workout video
    8.28.17 workout - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    8.30 workout