starting strength gym
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott's training log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    10.11.17 workout
    Tired and achy today, enough so that I hope I'm not getting sick. Sleep has also been off until last night, so hopefully I just wasn't recovered well due to that. Everything felt loose and mis grooved lift wise, and I'm getting some minor knee and SI joint stuff. Going to get good sleep and hopefully be cool by Friday.
    LBS - 255 3 x 5 - a bit of knee slide and upward movement of the bar in the bottom. Otherwise, per video, form looked better than it felt.
    Bench paused - 270 3 x 5 a well intentioned spotter touched the bar on set 3 but I truly don't believe she helped. I'll say something if she spots again.
    PC - 105 3 X 3
    Going to rest. Hopefully I can avoid injury or sickness with some good recovery.

10.13.17 workout
    Still feeling tired and not great. I think it's really bad seasonal allergies and bad sleep though.
    LBS - 275 5 x 5 these felt like crap, but I got 'er done. My knee has been bugging me, and upon review, I'm going to deep my knees slam forward in the hole. Need to correct this ASAP.
    Bench - 292.5 5 x 3 Actually ended up doing a couple extra sets. Long story short, got 2 sets done before the gym got desserted - our racks aren't great for self-spotting. Coached my wife for a half hour before just restarting from set 1 with a spotter when someone arrived. Ended up doing 7 sets total.
    Deadlift - 285 3 x 5

Trying to bump my nutrition, sleep and supplementation into overdrive to push through this hump.

10.15 workout
    Squat - 250 3 x 5
    Press - 180 3,2,3 set 2 went bad because I paused too long after rep 2 and just couldn't get tight enough
    Deadlift - 380 1 x 5 hard. Need to stop kicking the bar away via hip dropping. Made the last rep a huge grind.

10.18.17 workout
    LBS - 260 3 x 5
    Bench (paused) - 275 4,3,3
    PC - 110 3 x 3
    Chins - 8,4,4 working on forcing a dead hang at the bottom - realized I've not been doing this. My chins will probably be embarrassingly low in reps for the foreseeable future.

I think it's time to switch to triples on paused bench too. Also, after assessing my form and how my elbows and shoulders are starting to feel with LBS, I think for the near future, I just need to be resigned to the high bar. I'll see how 260 goes high bar on Friday, and then I'll load by 10 for a couple weeks to still hopefully end the year with work sets in the low 300s.

10.20 workout
    Back to high bar. Too many shoulder and elbow complications from low bar.

HBS - 275 5 x 5
    Bench - 295 5 x 3
    Deadlift - 290 3 x 5

10.22 workout
    Did squat and deadlift today. Skipped press due to time constraints. Will get it in tomorrow.
    Sleep and nutrition were off all weekend so this was harder and sloppier than necessary.

HBS - 250 3 X 5
    deadlift - 385 1 x 5 - very hard, and ugly toward the end. I might be nearing a point
    of necessitating lower rep heavy deadlifts followed by backoffs. I'm not going to tolerate much more flexion than these reps had, if any.

Instagram

10.23.17 workout
    Press - 180 3 x 3
    Press 1.0 back off - 135 3 x 5
    Chins - strict dead hang - 3 x 4

Yep repeating 385 on deadlifts next week after talking to Mia Inman. Going to keep working on not kicking the bar forward - isn't helping.

10.25.217 workout
    Squat - 260 3 x 5
    Bench paused - 277.5 3 x 3
    Instead of doing "heavy" (quoted because of how bad mine are) PC, I did some lighter deadlift reps, working up to 315 for a few. Focused on a very slow, controlled squeeze. It helped a lot. Video review showed that the bar is moving way less forward of midfoot to my eye. Still not perfect - my hips drop a tad - but the slower speed makes the bar stay a ton closer. Much of the distance from my shins at start was due to how fast I'd knock it with my legs, not the actual amount of hip dropping. Did some PC after this. Was tired, so to avoid doing crappy arm-pull PCs, I just kept it at 65 to work on the form. Hopefully the pulling camp in Lansing on 11.4 clears up my PC. If not it's going out of the rotation - a PC max under 150 is doing nothing to drive my deadlift max of over 405 up further.
    Chins - strict dead hang, 3 x 4. Will try 3 x 5 next time. Adding a bit of a pause now just to reinforce the hang.

10.27.17 workout
    Squat - 280 5 x 5
    Bench - 297.5 5 x 3
    Deadlift - worked up to 315 again. Started trying the alternate grip. My right thumb has a horrible injury of some sort, and I think hook has been exacerbating the problem. Forget exact reps - just focused on clean, slow reps.

Default 10.29.17 workout

starting strength coach development program
    Squat - 265 2 x 5. These were brutal, then I realized I accidentally did medium day two days after a heavy day. Whoops.
    Press - 182.5 3 x 3
    Press "1.0" back off - 140 3 x 5
    Deadlift - 315 1 x 5. Still working on the new grip and a slow squeeze. Need to slow the speed down by about half from where it was here. Reps were a little too fast, and I didn't get squoze on rep 5 - thoracic rounding. Good news is 315 now does not feel heavy whatsoever. Trying to strike that balance between paralysis by analysis and snap city. May deviate from the program and do an LP on my cleaned up deadlift, with all other programming as scheduled. I'd like to have my pulls back towhere they were a week ago with cleaner form by the new year. We'll see.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast