• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,
    Quick stats:
    30 year old male, 185 pounds, 5'7"
    Approximate maxes:
    SQ: 315
    Bench: 300 (trained the bro lifts for years before doing the squat and DL, hence the strange numbers)
    Press: 185
    DL: 340

I completed SS at the end of 2016. As a 29 year old already over 20 percent BF when I started, I ended LP pretty fluffy. I spent January to April 2017 on a cut, going from about 200 to a low of 176. Of course, strength took a hit. I've slowly moved back up to 185 since May. Finally completed PPST3 and am going to start a real intermediate program rather than the self designed programs I'd been doing - not ideal. Looking to end 2017 at a less fluffy 195.

Starting a HLM program:
    Mon - light squat, press, heavy pull
    Wed - medium squat, paused bench, PC
    Fri - heavy squat, bench, medium pull (light deadlifts)

I'm starting my deadlift artificially low - I've been trying to correct some form issues ever since I ended LP in the low 300s. I tend to either over drop my hips or I round if I leave them where they're supposed to be. Ignored the problem for a while and am finally addressing. Hoping that I can have better pulling form in a couple months when the heavy day pulls start getting challenging. I record all my sets and will be uploading my workouts to YouTube. I encourage form advice on my pulls. I'm very frustrated with them at the moment - they're still not great form wise, even after a few sessions with a SSC. Squats are high bar these days - I've had some major shoulder tweaks before, and LBS tend to aggravate it.

7.28.17 workout: heavy squat, heavy bench, medium pull day
    I should have mentioned this in my first post, but all weights are in #s
    Squat: 225, 5 x 5
    Bench: 245, 5 x 5
    Deadlift: 200, 3 x 5 (on medium day, I'm mostly just working on the form issues i mentioned in my first post - obviously this weight is not difficult)
    Chins - 8, 8, 4
    Tricep extensions - 70, 3 x 5 (I don't know the weight of the EZ bar and am just counting the plates, probably actually 83 ish)

7.28 workout - YouTube

7.30 half- workout
    Saw SSC Mia Inman today to continue working on my pulls. Did "heavy" day deadlifts at 250 for 5, then some PCs, 135.

I still flex too much when I keep my hips up where they're supposed to be using the SS set up - not a ton of flexion, but just enough in the mid back that Id be afraid to do a heavy pull in this position. I'm probably going to have to allow some hip drop on my heavy work sets while doing a few light practice sets with a strict hip position. Hopefully, eventually, I can do the set up correctly with a neutral spine. Its still improving but not quite there. If anyone has dealt with this tendency to drop their hips too low, pushing the bar away, with an inability to get fully neutral when their hips are higher, I welcome input. Below is a fairly extreme example of what I tend to do with my hips to get neutral. Around :12. I'll do light squats and press tomorrow - normally these would be before the heavy pulls I did today, all on Monday.

Press 185 PR deadlift 330 - YouTube

After reevaluating my current deadlift form, realizing it's by no means bad enough to be lifting this light, and getting some kick in the rear motivation from Royce in the technique forum, I've decided to DTFP and LP my deadlift; I'll do deadlift Monday and Friday, but until I stall or encounter major form breakdown, I'll add 5 pounds per workout. Other lifts will follow the original HLM program Once I hit a wall, I'll stick with my original plan on a heavy and lighter deadlift day, or some similar pull schedule.
    Despite my better judgement, after pulling 250 yesterday, I did deadlifts again today with 255, because America. They're to a point where they look pretty good extension wise from a 45 degree rear angle - that little bit of remaining flexion only shows from the direct side. When reviewing old video from my LP, my pulls were pretty solid with way less analysis over my pull and more weight. Hoping just sticking with it and adding weight to the bar unless I get really round will clean up what problems are left. Also playing with hook grip - after about 285, I tend to start struggling with grip for reps, and hook always messes with my whole pull if I just jump to it without practice.

Todays lifts:
    Squat - 210 3 x 5
    Press - 140 3 x 5
    Deadlift - 255 1 x 5

https://youtu.be/O6ckLkIJcD8

8.2.17 log

Continuing with my deadlift LP, I did 260 1x 5. Quite easy, and I do think the set up is improving again. For fun, I pulled 315 for a single. It felt fairly light, and I probably could have done 3-5 had it been my work weight. More importantly, the set up looked overall pretty good. Tempted to speed up the progress, but a 5 pound LP 3x a week will have me there fast enough. Once I stall or start having technique issues, I'll go back to a DL/PC/DL schedule and eventually will just do one heavy deadlift session per week, as mandated by HLM. Hook grip is starting to feel good again.

8.1.17 lifts:
    Squat - 220 3 x 5 (accidentally did 6 on last set)
    Paused bench - 225 3 x 5
    Deadlift - 260 1 x 5, 1 x 1

8.2.17 workout - YouTube

A bit late posting, but did Heavy Squat, heavy Bench and heavy Deadlifts on 8.4.17.
    Squat - 230, 5 x 5
    Bench - 250, 5 x 5
    Deadlift - 265 1 x 5
    Had to leave the gym a bit early, so came in the following day and did chins 3 x 8 and Tri Extensions, 75 3 x 5.

Squats went well. I think it was just camera angle, but upon review, depth might have been barely questionable on a few reps. I want to film from a better angle my next workout. I've been working on cutting off depth - my historic tendency has been to dive bomb way too low, occasionally at the expense of my lower back. Hopefully, I didn't swing too far the other way, but if camera angles prove I did, it should be easy to fix.

8.4.17 workout - YouTube

8.7.17 workout (light squat, Press, and [temporarily] Heavy Deadlift day)

Squat - 215, 3 x 5
    Press - 145, 3 x 5
    Deadlift - 270, 1 x 5, 315 1 x 1
    Oddly, my form is overall better when I'm pulling a bit heavier than my current submaximal worksets or related warmups. 315 1 x 1 looked nearly textbook. My middle 3rd rep on 270 was a tad round. Guess I'm just getting lazy as I progress through a set and not squeezing out that last bit of flexion.

8.7.17 workout - YouTube
    Last edited by nkupianist; 08-09-2017 at 08:12 AM.

Late on this.
    8.9.17 Workout:
    Squat - 225, 3 x 5
    Paused Bench - 245 3 x 5 - due to a formula accident, these were way too heavy (realized this later), but I got them! Ha. I'll take it.
    Deadlift - 275 1 x - form was awful this session. Pretty round. However, it led to some realizations that made 8.11 great.

8.11.17 Workout:
    Squat - 235 5 x 5
    Bench - 255 5 x 5
    Deadlift - 280 1 x 5 - these were the best pulls I've done in probably 9 months form-wise. It's coming back.
    Chins - 8,8,5
    Tri extensions - 80 3 x
    7.11.17 workout - YouTube

8.14.17 Workout - Light squat, light press, heavy deadlift
    Squat - 220 3 x 5
    Press - 150 3 x 5, 190 1 x 1 for fun after failing 205 1 x 1
    Deadlift - 285 1 x 5, 340 1 x 1, 360 1 x 1, 380 1 x 1
    The singles were just "for fun" - was quite surprised at how decent even 380 looked. Based on this, I suspect I could do a sloppy 405 for 1, but I'll hold off a while and just do my programming.
    Schedule will be kindof odd this week, as I'm seeing SSC Walter Palmer in Lexington to get some deadlift coaching. I'll plan to do 290 as part of the deadlift LP I'm on. Not sure yet if I'll get my heavy squats in this week or not - if so, it would probably have to be Saturday. Worst-case, I'll repeat this week's assigned squat work next week.
    Last edited by nkupianist; 08-16-2017 at 09:12 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    8.16.17 log:
    Splitting up my training oddly this week because I'm seeing a SSC tonight. Just did my medium bench day yesterday.
    Did 235, 3 x 5 paused. After accidentally overshooting last week, I went back down to my scheduled weights and had some PR attempt fun after to round out the workout.
    Got (all paused) 270 1, 290 1, 300 1, and, most excitedly, 315 x 1! Didn't really expect to make that last lift - it was a grinder. I'd never held 315 in my hands on bench before, and getting it paused the first time was especially exciting. recorded this one for posterity - Instagram

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast