starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Llamaaa's Intermediate Squat Log - 16 yr old

Default Llamaaa's Intermediate Squat Log - 16 yr old

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is my log, following starting strength with texas method squat progression.

Stats:
    Sex: Male
    Height: 186cm
    Weight: 79.5kg

Lifts - Approximated 1RM:
    Squat: 103kg
    Bench: 72kg
    Deadlift: 103kg
    Press: 45kg

Use to weigh over 120kg at age 13, cut down to 75kg and hadn't discovered lifting at the time so I became skinny and weak. Began starting strength with terrible form on every lift and made average progress due to not being able to have coaching - none in our area.

I have been lifting for around 6-8 months and have been spinning my wheels on the squat and deadlift and haven't been progressing. I have switched to texas method squats to try and progress further, on intensity day I am utilising rep ranges other than 5's as they just aren't working for me and I consider myself quite explosive in low rep ranges but struggle for sets of 5, as my form collapses and they just weren't making me stronger.

Monday:
    Squat: 5x5 @ 90%
    Press: 3x5 , +1kg
    Deadlift: 1x5 , +2.5kg

Wednesday:
    Squat: 3x5 @ 80% of Monday
    Bench: 3x5 , +1kg
    Row: 3x5 , +1kg

Friday:
    Squat: 2x3 @ RPE 9
    Deadlift: 1x5 , +2.5kg

3xAMRAP chins if I have the energy during any session.

Press/Deadlift & Bench/Row alternate
    Last edited by Llamaaa; 12-04-2017 at 12:25 AM.

4/12/2017

Squat: 90kg 5x5, @90% of Friday
    Press: 41kg 2x4, 1x3
    Deadlift: 97.5kg 1x3 - hit 1x5 after technique change
    Chins: 3x3 BW

Session felt terrible, squats felt heavy and first set was very fatiguing - although I was definitely capable, press went up in reps but didn't hit prescribed sets/reps but feel confident I will next session. Deadlift didn't go well, just couldn't budge it off the ground, will post a form check as I believe I'm pushing the bar ahead of mid foot and having to pull it back to get it back over midfoot.

Edit: Went back to the gym and tried new technique using slightly wider stance, feet a little further back and during step 3, using 3 point contact from feet and bending at knees and hips instead of at ankles to get shins to bar. Deadlift flew up, lifted for a set of 5 no problem.
    Last edited by Llamaaa; 12-04-2017 at 12:26 AM.

Have you thought about online coaching? Sounds like you need some help buddy. Throw up some vids to the coaches forum or the technique section. Be sure to read how to film these.

You’re also incredibly underweight.

Yeah I have been considering coaching quite a bit recently, I still need to do a bit more research into my options but I am seriously considering it.
    As for weight gain, I get around 3000 a day and I'll see how that goes but have a feeling I may need to increase it more.

Thanks,

6/12/2017

Heading away soon, thus had to rearrange lifting schedule to fit.

Bench: 65kg, 2x5, 1x4
    Row: 62kg, 3x5

Skipped squat due to having to place intensity day tomorrow, although my legs feel recovered enough so I believe I will be fine.
    I missed 1 rep on the last set, possibly a longer rest time could have helped.
    I really enjoyed having a shorter session and could put a lot more intensity into my lifts, might think about changing to a 4 day schedule once school is back to allow for more time in the mornings to study.

11/12/2017

Poor sleep and lack of, having to stay up till 5am the day before, body went into shock and high stress.

Didn't have enough mental energy to get the bar moving, barely made first rep in any set, so I just did what I could.

Squat volume: 90kg, roughly 1x4, 1x3, 1x1
    Bench: 65kg 2x3, 1x2
    Row: 63kg, 3x5

Feeling extremely beaten up after this session even with the smallest amount of volume, although it gave me a chance to distress and get a lot of emotion out.

Will see how I feel during the week and will likely keep intensity the same and drop volume for this week to recover.

13/12/2017

Recovery squat day, as I was unable to complete volume day, it was nice just to get back into the groove of things and my energy levels are getting back up.

Squat recovery: 72.5kg 3x5
    Press: 37.5kg 3x5 - 10% deload, stalled
    Deadlift: 102.5kg 1x4, didn't expect much, still recovering from the other day, will just repeat

15/12/2017

Had a sleep in and felt extremely hungry yesterday for some reason, even though I wasn't very active, but its stone fruit season so I had a tonne of awesome fresh fruit.
    Even though I didn't get hardly any volume in on monday due to feeling completely crap, I felt really good today warming up and I thought I'd just increase the weight anyway instead of going again as planned, and hey, it worked fine.

Squat intensity: 105kg 2x2, 1x1 - missed last rep due to descent, but that's all good, two doubles will keep me going.
    Bench: 65kg 3x5 - felt friggin awesome, flew up, compared to the other day
    Row: 65kg 3x5 - added whole plates instead of fractional because I was feeling good, went well

Threw in some chins and curls.

Don't know if it was the sleep in or the fruit binge but today's training felt awesome and the weights were moving without a problem

17/12/2017

Going away so had to train on Sunday, squats felt fine, OHP - working on form and just wasn't recovered for deadlifts and they've been really sucky, I think I'm going to go to once a week deadlifts.

Squat volume: 90kg 5x5
    Press: 38.5kg 3x3 - missed reps but working on improving form so this isn't an issue.
    Deadlift: 102.5kg 1x2 - the thing wouldn't budge, months ago I use to be able to rep it out no problem, I'm certainly strong enough, either mental or not eating enough

starting strength coach development program
    Modifying template to allow for more deadlift recovery:

Monday:
    Squat: 5x5 @ 90%
    Press: 3x5 , +1kg or more
    Row: 3x5, +1kg or more

Wednesday:
    Squat: 3x5 @ 80% of Monday
    Bench: 3x5 , +1kg
    SLDL: 3x5, +2.5kg or more - maintaining strict form

Friday:
    Squat: 2x3 @ RPE 9
    Deadlift: 1x5 , +2.5kg or more

3xAMRAP chins if I have the energy during any session.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast