starting strength gym
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chesty's Texas Method Accountabilibuddy

Default Chesty's Texas Method Accountabilibuddy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm moving over from the SS log forum. The link is HERE. It took a few months but I finally needed to move up to the intermediate programming. I am very happy with the progress I made on SS.

I reread the intermediate programming section of Practical Programming for Strength Training and did some online research for options. I felt the weight of the decision because I figured I might be spending years in this intermediate phase. I am going to do the Texas Method. It seems simple (but not easy) and makes the most sense to me.

Texas Method Sets x Rep Mon 3/19/18
    Medium
    5x5
    Squat Warm-up
    2x5 45
    1x5 115
    1x3 170
    1x2 230
    Work Sets 290

5x5
    Bench Warm-up
    2x5 45
    1x5 85
    1x3 115
    1x2 150
    Work Sets 170

1x5
    Deadlift Warm-up
    2x5 105
    1x3 160
    1x2 225
    Work Sets 270

Not used to the volume but this session did not feel very hard. I felt recovered and SS taught me that the good sessions, for the most part, are the ones where you feel fully recovered from the last session. I'm looking forward to seeing how this weekly cycle affects my ability to feel recovered in each session.

So far, so good. Here's to a long, successful relationship with the Texas Method.

I'll be following your thread - we're in a similar spot. I'm about done with LP across the board and switching to TM. I was getting to a point where I couldn't recover either on SSLP. It's nice to get back to moving numbers up again!

Quote Originally Posted by SSrecruit View Post
    I'll be following your thread - we're in a similar spot. I'm about done with LP across the board and switching to TM. I was getting to a point where I couldn't recover either on SSLP. It's nice to get back to moving numbers up again!
    Thank you. Knowing that people are watching helps me stay consistent. I'm very excited about the TM. If I see your log I'll follow you too.
    Last edited by Chesty McLifty; 03-20-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Just found your TM thread!

Texas Method Sets x Rep Wed 3/21/18
    Light
    2x5
    Squat Warm-up
    2x5 45
    1x5 90
    1x3 135
    1x2 180
    Work Sets 230

3x5
    Press Warm-up
    2x5 45
    1x5 55
    1x3 70
    1x2 85
    Work Sets 105

Chin ups: 3x5 assisted

Felt sore and stiff and low energy. Elbows hurt. Was glad the weights were light. That is probably the theme of Wednesdays on the Texas Method. I was happy for a session that didn't take as long as usual.

I'm looking for one more accessory exercise to add to Wednesdays. I was thinking of doing some static core work to help with stability, but I wasn't sure whether recovering from that would mess me up on my Friday intensity days. I also have weak ass arms compared to my legs and torso, but not sure what exactly to do about it. I'll keep looking and thinking.

Edit: Forgot to add: Been getting plenty of food and sleep. When I say this I mean 8-9 hours a night and 250+ grams of protein over 3500+ calories per day.
    Last edited by Chesty McLifty; 03-21-2018 at 04:02 PM.

The TM "light day" usually feels like shit from experience. Make sure your form is super dialed in to run TM. Any nagging injuries due to form will hamper your progress and can worsen as you go. I'm personally running TM template right now. 7 weeks in and 4 weeks of PR's so far. No grinding either. Also important : Change your intensity and volume day rep scheme before you ever fail any reps.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisza View Post
    The TM "light day" usually feels like shit from experience. Make sure your form is super dialed in to run TM. Any nagging injuries due to form will hamper your progress and can worsen as you go. I'm personally running TM template right now. 7 weeks in and 4 weeks of PR's so far. No grinding either. Also important : Change your intensity and volume day rep scheme before you ever fail any reps.
    Thanks for the advice. Will do.

Same here - i had light day yesterday and it was really hard! Sore from volume bench, light overhead was a real challenge. Intensity day tomorrow! BTW what time of day do you guys lift? I find i can always lift more in the afternoon or evening than i can in the morning.

Same here - i had light day yesterday and it was really hard! Sore from volume bench, light overhead was a real challenge. Intensity day tomorrow! BTW what time of day do you guys lift? I find i can always lift more in the afternoon or evening than i can in the morning.
    Same. I like to lift in the evening but I hate lifting after work. So if I have to work I do the workout early. If I have a day off I do it in the evening.

I have trained in the AM early for 10 years as I felt more fatigued/less motivated after work. If I had a choice, I think my energy levels are best at 11-12 am or so. I think from experience your body adapts to the training time you use.

starting strength coach development program
    Texas Method Sets x Rep Fri 3/23/18
    Heavy
    1x5
    Squat Warm-up
    2x5 45
    1x5 125
    1x3 190
    1x2 255
    Work Sets 320

Bench Warm-up
    2x5 45
    1x5 105
    1x3 150
    1x2 190
    Work Sets 215

Chin ups: 1x6, 2x5 (band assisted)
    Static core holds (on declined bench): bodyweight x 30 seconds x 2
    Triceps pullovers: 58lbs 2x5, 1x7

Pretty successful intensity day. Squats felt kind of hard but I never felt in danger of missing a rep. Bench felt easier than I expected. I have never benched 215lbs in my life so I was kind of surprised at how it felt. I was only supposed to do one rep according to this spreadsheet but I did two just to be a rebel.

I did chins again because I like the feeling of progressing on them and they are really helping my lagging back development. I also like how they kinda hit my biceps. I think I'll do them every Wednesday and Friday.

I added static core holds and triceps pullovers. I think these accessories can help bring up my weaknesses (core and triceps) that are bottlenecking my progress. I started easy on these exercises so I can gauge how sore they make me or whether they will interfere with Monday's volume day. I'll be making them systematically heavier just like everything else.

I liked the feeling of being fully recovered for my heavy squats and especially my heavy bench. So nice when my elbows are not screaming. Enjoying TM so far.
    Last edited by Chesty McLifty; 03-23-2018 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Added that chins were band assisted.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast