starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle's Int Log...Saying "Thanks, I'm good" to gym bros for another year.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I never use a scale, they dont work for lifters. You can gain a few pounds but actually have lower body fat. The belt that I wear every day is my measuring device. If the hole I wear it at starts getting snug I cut back on the food a little. When it gets loose I eat more.

Had to work last night, so my intra week rest period was 3 days instead of 2. I don't love it, but I'm in the end of semester Graduation/Alumni Week maelstrom of work for the next few weeks, so I'm going to do my best to hold on, train, and come out the other side.

Also, it got hot and I cramped a lot. Takes me by surprise every year. I don't need any extra salt or potassium when it's cool, but during the summer I'm a non-stop sweat beast and need all the electrolytes.

Squat: 1x5 @420 and 4x5 @400
    Notes: Hello darkness my old friend...

Bench: 4x5 @185
    Notes: I did them, they happened.

Deads 1 and 2x3 @435
    Notes: I tried my best to fully solidify my Alar into belief that I was pushing the earth away from the bar with my legs, I think it helped. Also I did the first single with hook grip which was easy, and then did the two triples with straps, which let me know that my grip is my big time limiting factor here once I go over one or two reps.

Biceps, Triceps, Conditioning

I had a nice day. I won't complain, won't do no good anyhow.

Squats 3x5 @320
    Notes: Fine, everything's fine

Press 1x2 @160, 5x5 @140
    Notes: Somehow these were easy today, not sure how

Cable Rows 3x8 @170
    Pull downs 3x8 @160
    Notes: Light pulling day focusing on things that hopefully help me set my upper back better.

Had the gym almost to myself. Cool. My current issue is that my callouses are starting to rip off, not good news less than a month before my deadlift competition. I'll just try my best to manage it.

Squats 4x5 @365
    Notes: Felt hard but moved fast

Bench 1x5 @235, 4x5 @205
    Notes: Right tricep felt kind of weak, but everything happened ok. Did a much better job at keeping tight and driving with my legs

Deadlifts 5x1 and 2x5 @365
    Notes: Practiced the five singles to get ready for my deadlift competition in a month. After each rep I stepped back and walked back up to the bar and used hook grip. For the two sets of fahve I used straps to try to save my callouses. It's amazing how much easier those pulls are with straps.

This is always my most stressful week of the year at work. In an attempt to not destroy myself for work I knocked off a few of the backoff sets of my squat, I'm just trying to maintain the squat this week. Still wanted to grow my deadlift though!

Squats 1x5 @425, 1x5 @405
    Notes: cut some backoff sets, but still decided to grab that 5rep PR

Bench 4x5 @185
    Notes: easy, nothing special

Deadlifts singles @405, 425, 455 all hooked. 2x3 @440 with straps
    Notes: Felt pretty good, that 455 was a 20 lb PR. made me happy.

I survived graduation, and it's back to the gym.

Squats 1x5 @425, 4x5 @405
    Notes: Luckily I didn't detrain my strength much, but my conditioning took a hit, those last few sets had me super out of breath.

Bench 1x3 @240, 4x5 @205
    Notes: Had to cut off that top set at a triple. I find the presses suffer more from a layoff than the pulls and squats.

Dead: singles at 405,425,455,465. 2x3 @445
    Notes: Felt good. hooked the singles and strapped the triples. Bad news is that the skin on my thumbs is now tattered strings flapping in the breeze

Pretty ho-hum light day. Only noteworthy thing was the poor sap who was trying to destroy his knees. He was 1/16th squatting in the smith machine with 355 (assuming the "bar" is actually 45.) The worst part was that the bar was well behind his feet. It was scary and I feel bad for that dude.

Squats 3x5 @340

Press 1x2 @165 and 4x5 @140

Deads 3x5 @355

10 days of sinus infections and hotel gym bullshit. I was pretty nervous about how much I lost, especially since I have my deadlift competition on Saturday. I stayed kind of light on squat and press just to get into the groove a bit and not beat myself too much for competition week, but then I did some pulling singles and I was pleasantly surprised that I hadn't lost too much.

Squats 3x5 @365
    Notes: These felt hard but moved well. I think it was more a mental hurdle of remembering the effort needed for heavy weights. All last week all I had to train on was the leg press that topped out at 405

Press 3x5 @135
    Notes: Moved well

Deads Singles @ 405,425,455,475 (20lb PR)
    2x3 @405
    Notes: my hook grip was better than I thought after the layoff, and happily the hotel gym bro back work translated better than I thought to pulling. I think I'll aim for 460,480,500 for my 3 lifts on Saturday

starting strength coach development program
    Worked out yesterday, last workout before deadlift comp on Saturday. Took it mostly easy and practiced some singles with my deadlift. Started to feel a back tweak while squatting and cut it off, don't want to deal with that crap on competition day. I want that 500 deadlift!

Squats 1x5 @405
    Notes: Felt the beginings of a back tweak so I stopped, squats are for after my competition

Bench 3x5 @225
    Notes: Two plate fun because I'm going to vacation next week and cosmically you just have to do some bro sets of 225 bench before going on vacation. It's a rule or something

Deadlifts 6 singles @405
    Notes: Had a dude at the gym give me a "down" command so I just practiced that a few time with heaviesh weight.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast