starting strength gym
Page 10 of 141 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Here Comes Hercules.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My ultimate goal, assuming I don't live to be 100, has always been 405. (Four big plates, don't you know.) I am thinking of going next Spring. Maybe I will hit it then.

Here's part of the video from the Fall Classic. It doesn't show my highest DL but it shows the presses and most of the deads. Ann's presses begin at 1:40 and mine begin at 1:48; My first two deads begin at 3:30.

I'm still working on the video of my top deadlift.

Page Not Found | Facebook[0]=68.ARDhZEgxjWbXREdRfzipPIifX1Ni7kdBQeSqInJ7evNvzq knHDD8Loi7MMT9MtTAxC2t0fPWw1bkod9W05DblFwjzs1V0Mix Rc-NVfTgQuJ06Kiu6Lhn_w2WHPeifkz-4QKx_SWCxlezZ_C7-QiHMVlTTP1iqrViLMC6woCmq9A3y-kUrULSphS-DarmyFdM1L6AioT7QQ43mthGa31AyFRiS5jqLfbVnn6CwG1tpE E1QKUmN8ZK9q-7aRHYt2Cw2dqOxA

Sully put together a video which contains the lifts of all three Greysteel lifters. This includes my 374 lb. deadlift. YouTube

Amazing. Great lift.

Indeed. Looked strong, brother.

I was glad to see that 128 press too, after that miss at 115. It really did look massively easy by comparison.

My shoulders aren't what they should be. If I don't concentrate enough on Sully's instructions to reach and even reach back my shoulders don't do it. I became a little over confident, I guess, and I had a moment arm of about 2 inches which transformed into 6 inches and the bar came down out of my control. I really really focused on the top lift. Actually, overcoming that problem will eventually allow me to lift several more pounds. The problem is doubtless related in some way to my inability to perform a straight bar squat. But I think it is much more pronounced there than with the OHP. 128 was indeed massively easy by comparison with the 115. If I someday conquer all of my present form problems I could really be Hercules. But then some others would just crop up.

Awesome job Carson! I'm going to show that video to my folks. I'm trying to get them into lifting for their health. I bought them The Barbell Prescription and just coached my dad through his first workout on Sunday. He just texted me to say he finished his second this afternoon. He's just a young pup at 67, and he started off pressing the empty bar and rack pulling 115. He seems very skeptical about what he's capable of without hurting himself. I'm sure your lifts will be a big motivation for him!

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    My ultimate goal, assuming I don't live to be 100, has always been 405. (Four big plates, don't you know.) I am thinking of going next Spring. Maybe I will hit it then.
    Ah Spring... when plates are in the air.

Dillon, I hope it works. When you say "rack pulling" do you mean he pulled a sort of deadlift off of the safety bars on a rack? 115 is a start. Does he have some tech plates?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Dillon, I hope it works. When you say "rack pulling" do you mean he pulled a sort of deadlift off of the safety bars on a rack? 115 is a start. Does he have some tech plates?
    Unfortunately, he doesn't. And yes that's what I mean by rack pulling. He's pulling from the lowest pins, which on this rack are probably mid-shin. We're working with what we've got in a local community center gym near his house. Pulling from the floor meant either going for 135 on the first day, or using plates as blocks. I figured I'd let him build up some confidence with rack pulls for a couple of weeks. By then he'll be rack pulling 135 and I'll teach him how to pull from the floor then. He's super gun shy about heavy weights, and while he's receptive to Sully's logic in TBP, he's yet to fully drink the kool aid. I have no doubt that he could have pulled from the floor on day 1. Hell, he does a better job of setting his back than I do. When he remembers to do it at least. I knew that he'd have to do a few workouts on his own before I'd be able to get back and play coach again, so I wanted to start him super conservatively, let him build confidence and get used to thinking about his form, and teach him to pull from the floor when the plates dictate it. He hasn't read, and to be honest probably will never read, SS:BBT, so he's pretty much dependent on me and whatever YouTube homework I give him for coaching, so I'm trying to go slow and steady.

Page 10 of 141 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast