starting strength gym
Page 99 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: Here Comes Hercules.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Could this heel pain be plantar fasciitis ? I had it for 9 months last year. Not too much effect on my lifts, but the inability to walk normally worsened my conditioning, which is mostly long walks on the days I don’t train. It was really annoying.

That could be. Did it just go away or did you have some procedure to get rid of it?

I tried the therapies that I found on the internet and from people I know who’d experienced it. Using a night splint to keep the plantar somewhat stretched while I slept seemed to work best at abating the sharp pain first thing in the morning. But really, it did just eventually go away. I was able to keep training. The effect on performing the lifts was minimal. Looking at my log, there were a single note about my left side seeming weaker in squats. The biggest effect was on my conditioning as I wasn’t able to keep up with my regular long brisk walks. The onset was last April, I saw a podiatrist in July who only repeated the advice I‘d already received. He did do an x-ray which ruled out any kind of stress fracture. It went away September 3.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    That could be. Did it just go away or did you have some procedure to get rid of it?
    i found the combination of some stretching and Dr Scholl-type shoe inserts helped a lot

Carson I had this issue 20 years ago. Podiatrist gave cortisone shots under heal pad and shoe inserts. I would try gentle stretching and shoe inserts. Also I am sure that I would not push the sled for exercise because of this. YMMV

I used to fight with plantar fasciitis for years during my endurance shenanigans. A simple fix was just making sure the sheets were untucked at the foot of the bed.

I used to keep a tight tuck and sleep on my back, which forced my toes to point downwards all night, creating the situation for PF to develop. I learned about that, promptly untucked the sheets and it went away over the course of the following weeks. Some 13 years later, it has never returned. Granted, I also quit those shenanigans, but that wasn't until about 8 years ago.

Gentlemen, you have given me much food for thought. I'll try some of these things.

Medium of HLM.

Squat: 70 x 5 (p); 140 x 5; 160 x 3; 200 x 1; 215 x 3 x 2
    Press: 45 x 5; 70 x 3; 90 x 1; 93 x 5; 74 x 8 x 2
    Dead: 135 x 3; 225 x 2; 270 x 5

Friday is heavy day. My kind of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Turner View Post
    Could this heel pain be plantar fasciitis ? I had it for 9 months last year. Not too much effect on my lifts, but the inability to walk normally worsened my conditioning, which is mostly long walks on the days I don’t train. It was really annoying.
    That's what it is. I did loosen my sheet at the bottom and I'm buying some old people's shoes that look nearly like normal dress shoes. I hope it doesn't last 9 months but I suppose I'll get used to it in any event.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    That's what it is. I did loosen my sheet at the bottom and I'm buying some old people's shoes that look nearly like normal dress shoes. I hope it doesn't last 9 months but I suppose I'll get used to it in any event.
    OK, knowing what it is is half the battle.

Although the sensations are in your foot, the majority of the issue starts up in your calf (hence the need to untuck sheets, etc.). Some massage will help alleviate this.

Follow this link and see some diagrams on where to focus your efforts (the 'X''s). It won't happen overnight, but consistent massage of those areas will help loosen the muscles that are tight, causing the pain in your foot.

Good luck, carson!

starting strength coach development program
    The things I remember the most. Gentle foot rolls before getting out of bed. Gentle forward leans into the wall very slowly stretching the back of the leg. Get some good shoe inserts if your shoe choices do not help.