starting strength gym
Page 27 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Here Comes Hercules.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Sully grimaces every time I do a straight bar squat. He doesn't want me to destroy my neck but he also knows I want my lifts to count on the Challenge. I almost did it last fall but then backed out at the last minute. I want to at least do it this time. I may just forget about it after this meet. To find Dave Tate's quote do I just go to Elite FTS or to Dave Tate.
    I have a Rogue SB-1 at the house. It has shorter pads than the Elite version. Significantly, the yoke is narrow, which I like. The handles are long which I also like because you can pull down and roll the bar more forward, so it is closer to a low bar squat. I was on the fence between the Rogue and Elite myself. I bought having tried neither. But I'm happy with what I have.

You're welcome to try it if you like, I'm 53 to 58 minutes West of the meet. (so out of your way on the return trip).
    I got it because I've had several shoulder injuries that interfered with training, and finally decided it was worth having the bar around for when I was injured. I have not been injured since.

My garage gym is not a thing of beauty, but it works.

IMO, they should allow straps so that you can use their straight bar, and still compete. The straps offer no advantage other than to accommodate range of motion issues. Had I realized this could be done, I might not have even bought my SB-1.
    Last edited by Cheesepuff; 04-23-2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: distance from wrong SS gym

58 minutes west of the meet? You're in my neighborhood, maybe! I'm in far western DuPage.

Also, didn't there used to be a way to DM people on this board? I'm sure I remember doing that, but can't find where to do it now.

I am in Hanover park. Quite familiar with the fox river trail.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanThornton View Post
    58 minutes west of the meet? You're in my neighborhood, maybe! I'm in far western DuPage.

Also, didn't there used to be a way to DM people on this board? I'm sure I remember doing that, but can't find where to do it now.
    Do you mean "PM"?

I've seen both acronyms. DM = direct message, PM = private message. Either way, I know I did that on here back around 2016, but I don't see how to do it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    I am in Hanover park. Quite familiar with the fox river trail.
    Yeah, we're just a few miles apart, I'm in West Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanThornton View Post
    I've seen both acronyms. DM = direct message, PM = private message. Either way, I know I did that on here back around 2016, but I don't see how to do it now.
    I see what you mean. We used to be able to do it by clicking on the name of the person you wished to contact and one of the options was to send private message. I guess we will have to ask an Admin or Stef. The search function does not function as it used to either.
    Last edited by carson; 04-24-2019 at 06:25 AM.

I also noticed yesterday, when I searched my own posts, it only goes back to what I've posted since my return to the boards last month. All my old posts are still there, but searching for them under my user page doesn't find them.

Report from USSF Spring Challenge. It is still snowing. It began about 11 a.m. It's now about 7 p.m. and it's still falling. I guess Illinois is a couple of months behind everyone else. Fortunately our competition was inside. Getting home Sunday may present a challenge. The big news in I lifted 3 straight bar squats and the bar did not roll up on my neck. I don't know why but I'm thankful it finally worked. I may do it some more.

Squat: 45 x 1; 88 x 1; 136 x 1
    Press: 99 x 1; 114.4 x 1; 128 fail
    Dead: 363 x 1; 374 fail; 374 x 1 I was hoping to lift 385 but not today. Still I'm happy over the squats and the other lifts I made. I hope to have videos shortly.

Thank God for my wife of 52 years who coached and cheered me.
    Last edited by carson; 04-27-2019 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added