starting strength gym
Page 34 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Here Comes Hercules.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Congrats on the squat PR.

Grats! a PR is a PR.

While babysitting some of our grandchildren I wound up falling and badly bruising my ribs. It was very painful and made it hard to breathe. I missed Monday's lifts but should be ready to go on Friday. Our gym is on one end of a strip mall. At the other end is a chinese restaurant that had a rather serious fire today. I don't know what affect this has had on our gym or the other businesses in the mall. Life is not boring.

Hope heal quick Carson. I fell down the last 3 steps going down to my basement on my birthday in Dec. Landed on my left knee, it hurt for 3 weeks. Sure made the fact that recovery is slower as we age.

Not only is recovery slower but so am I. I hope our gym will be open Friday since the fire.

BTW Where is the USSF forum.

An interesting day at the gym. I not only learned some things about the fall out of the restaurant fire and some snippets from the weekend at Wichita Falls but I learned that I have in fact broken at least one rib, but then, it's lifting day.

Squat: 70 x 5; 120 x 5; 160 x 3; 200 x 1; 219 x 5 x 1; 3 x 1 and my ribs felt bad enough that I stopped.
    Press: Avoided them like the plague.
    Prowler: 100 x 6 x 4 While my ribs hurt it was not nearly bad enough to stop me. I went more slowly than usual but I did them

Off to Chicago once again for birthday parties, but no merry go round rides for me.

I guess you use a belt for the sqts., I'm sure that would aggravate the ribs.
    I took my grandchildren to Coney Island last week. I did go on the go karts and bumper cars, stayed clear of the Cyclone.

If the belt aggravates your ribs, maybe lift without it, probably need to back off some. Of course, whatever Sully thinks is your best bet.
    I've found I can usually dead lift when injured better than I can squat. Haven't had broken ribs while lifting though.

What are you gonna do, not train?

starting strength coach development program
    Great question Michael. So far I've sort of kept training but with great limitations. Surprisingly I can do the squats through part of my warm ups and then the pain becomes so great i had to stop. For the bench which was virtually impossible. I did my 45 lb warm ups but was in near agony. I couldn't even lay down on my bench for the second set, let alone lifting the bar. So, I tried my favorite lift, the dead, and could barely bend over to pick the bar off of the platform. I lifted 135 lb. but it hurt so much I could not lift it a second time. This not only not fun, but it is depressing. Then I tried the prowler and it hurt far more this time than before. I used the wide heavy belt with the Squat and for some reason it was not as big of a problem as I thought it would be. Why? I don't know. I did not use a belt for bench but I still couldn't do that. I put on a much narrower belt for the dead but I still couldn't do them

Squat: 70 x 5; 120 x 5; 160 x 3; 210 x 2 x 3 I had planned to do 253 x 2 x 2 IMPOSSIBLE.
    Bench: 45 x 5; That's it. Just lying down was too much.
    Dead: 135 x 1 and I could not continue
    Prowler: 100 x 6 x 1; 2 x 1 and I was done.

Ribs mend very slowly. I will be at the competition but I don't know what I'll be able to lift. I am not a happy camper.

One last comment. Despite the difficulties the two weekends with our children and grandchildren were what I would call a great blessing. The grandchildren are developing wonderfully. Maybe I'll share a few examples another time. We became closer to our children than ever before. It's not all bad.
    Last edited by carson; 08-12-2019 at 08:42 PM.