starting strength gym
Page 52 of 140 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Here Comes Hercules.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Split press as described and demonstrated by coach Sullivan is lying on the floor with two dumbbells in hands, I used two 15 pounders. Starting with hands on the floor gripping the dumbbells raise them over ones body to the place and with the hands one would have the bar above your chest.

We had a session with Sully...don't tell our governor...last Wednesday.

Squat: 70 x 5 (paused); 160 x 5; 210 x 3; 230 x 2; 160 x 5
    Press: 45 x 5; 75 x 3; 100 x 1; 115 x 0
    Dead: 135 x 5; 225 x 5; 315 x 2

My wife did some work with Sully's alternate program of several squats, Press, split press on the floor, five x two push-ups, and deadlifts.

Today:
    I did Sully's alternate routine including 5 push ups. I used a sand filled bucket (40 lbs.) for RDL. Thursday I walked 3 miles at brisk clip and Friday did some gardening.

Glad to see you implement some creative solutions!

I say, now its time to build a home gym, its good to have a spare.

That's true enough. However we only have a crowded one car garage. It may be possible to clean it out and get one of those retractable racks. Maybe.

I got by with a barbell and a trap bar when in a similar spot just starting out.
    I used the trap bar to mimic the low bar squat as much as I could.
    But when the garage stall became available I bought of full rack. Cheaper and safer than those swing out versions.

A lot of people are buying "home gyms" and stuff now.
    Look for this stuff to hit Craigslist in a couple months.

I looked hard at those "swing out racks". I never felt good about them.

Being able to dead lift during times when gyms aren't an option might be good enough for your situation.
    Trap bars tend to be expensive, and they are not as good as having a rack to squat in.
    Save your money for a Safety Squat Bar. (you'll need it if you go that way). Or try using wrist straps with a knot to hang on to to low bar squat.

The Dead Lift is a damn good exercise. Having a bar and some weights so you can work out at home at need seems prudent, and not very costly.
    Craigslist is your friend.

Thanks for the tips.

Consider that all these knuckleheads buying up all the bars, racks and plates now will soon be looking to get rid of them when their gyms open. Not all, but a LOT.

That is when opportunity knocks to stock up.

You may be able to talk Sully into a strategic re-deployment of his gym equipment (now in high demand) and requiring 24 hour security. A bar and some plates and you're dead lifting. LOL. And you could watch them closely... for free.

Too bad you're not closer, I have extra plates.
    Last edited by Cheesepuff; 04-20-2020 at 08:34 PM. Reason: plural of knucklehead

Hey I have a trap bar and some plates that aren't doing anything right now.
    Since it is only temporary, lifting with a trap bar is sort of more like a squat than a dead, and doesn't require a rack.
    Let me know if you have business in the People's republic of Illinois. Be glad to let you borrow.
    Should have thought of this sooner.
    I can probably get you to 380, if you're not to proud to use 35's. LOL.

I used this for my squats before I had a spot for a rack. Kept in the garage leaned against the wall. I tied it down for safety.

While not the perfect solution, you can't beat the price.

What is a trap bar?
    If I travel outside of my little town Whitmer's KGB will arrest me. Maybe not. My children want us to stay alive so they don't want us to come. So, we may be stuck.
    I try to keep up with Sully's lifting substitutes but I admit I'm getting a little discouraged. Tomorrow is Wednesday and I'll do it again.
    I am thinking about traveling to the State Capital to honk my horn and yell in protest. The governor is driving businesses, except for the abortion mills and the Pot shops, out of business. Seed and plants are off of her "essential" list but not killing babies and selling pot. I suppose pot is a way to dull the conscience after killing babies.
    What a place.

starting strength coach development program
    TRAP BARS also called Hex bars are a metal hula hoop with handles and sleeves for weights.
    Seriously amazon: Trap bar or do a google images trap bar.
    I don't want to get in trouble putting a link.
    It looks like a dead lift but the mechanics are more like a squat, so says Rip.
    I couldn't have a rack for a while so I got one. Don't use it because I have a rack and can squat.
    Allan Thrall has a demo video. He of the other side of the RPE divide.

It weighs 75 pounds, but is pretty simple. If you saw American Sniper he used one.