starting strength gym
Page 55 of 140 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: Here Comes Hercules.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I wonder if I could start asking for racks, bars, plates and a good bench for father's day, Christmas and birthday presents. I don't know where I would put them but who knows.
    Do you know who is selling bar/plate sets that don't cost an arm and a leg? Only plates I can find are uber expensive bumpers. Truth be told, I'm so weak right now that a broom stick would be sturdy enough for a bar but as soon as I unfuck myself, that'll change.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    WOW, just WOW.
    Thank you, my friend. I hope your injury is cleared up soon.

If I can advance at my present rate I should be at 375 once again by the end of July. I really hope that I can make 405 before the inevitable decline begins. It's fun having goals at this time of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Do you know who is selling bar/plate sets that don't cost an arm and a leg? Only plates I can find are uber expensive bumpers. Truth be told, I'm so weak right now that a broom stick would be sturdy enough for a bar but as soon as I unfuck myself, that'll change.
    I'm afraid I don't know where to get bars and plates and racks,etc. at reasonable prices. If you are near a Starting Strength gym or near a coach who is a starting strength coach or you are anywhere near SE Michigan contact a Starting Strength coach for advice. The man who coaches my wife and I is Dr. Jonathan Sullivan at Greysteel Strength and Conditioning.

For equipment have you checked EBay or Craigslist? There are places that sell used equipment as well. But none of it is cheep. Can't you go together with another person and buy some equipment? My friend Michael who goes by the moniker Cheesepuff has found some relative inexpensive bars, plates, etc. Maybe he has some advice.

I really think that getting in touch with a SS Coach or with Dr. Sullivan is the place to start if you are serious about getting stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I'm afraid I don't know where to get bars and plates and racks,etc. at reasonable prices. If you are near a Starting Strength gym or near a coach who is a starting strength coach or you are anywhere near SE Michigan contact a Starting Strength coach for advice. The man who coaches my wife and I is Dr. Jonathan Sullivan at Greysteel Strength and Conditioning.

For equipment have you checked EBay or Craigslist? There are places that sell used equipment as well. But none of it is cheep. Can't you go together with another person and buy some equipment? My friend Michael who goes by the moniker Cheesepuff has found some relative inexpensive bars, plates, etc. Maybe he has some advice.

I really think that getting in touch with a SS Coach or with Dr. Sullivan is the place to start if you are serious about getting stronger.
    I've looked some and given the current state of affairs, people are selling rusty old generic bars for the price of a new Texas Power Bar. I have a rack and bench now, just need the most important part... something to lift, lol. To be honest, I'm not interested in sharing equipment. I like training alone in my garage without having to concern myself with someone coming over or me traveling to someone else's place. I appreciate the advice on getting a SS coach, and you never know too much to get outside help, but i like training myself, though I do take advice from this forum. I've been strong(ish) before, just have to refocus and get over a minor physical issue. Thanks so much for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Just wait until Oct / Nov. Everybody who couldn't go to the gym bought out every bar / plate and a lot of racks on the new and used market.
    Not all of them will stay with the "home gym concept". It is not for everyone. Do what you have to for now, your selection of craigslist will improve... as will prices on the "new" market.
    Timing is everything. Study your brands, know what you will want, study prices / value. If I were building a set from scratch now, I'd seriously consider Rip's stuff. It's solid. I'd make a Texas road trip of it. (I'm NOT from Texas).
    Shipping is a big ticket on this stuff... and you could catch a seminar.

That's sound advice, Michael.

Here's my report on this light day:

Squat: 70 x 5 (paused); 120 x 5; 160 x 3; 180 x 5 x 2
    Bench: 45 x 5; 95 x 5; 125 x 3;135 x 5 x 2
    Dead: 135 x 5; 225 x 3; 275 x 1; 295 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Just wait until Oct / Nov. Everybody who couldn't go to the gym bought out every bar / plate and a lot of racks on the new and used market.
    Not all of them will stay with the "home gym concept". It is not for everyone. Do what you have to for now, your selection of craigslist will improve... as will prices on the "new" market.
    Timing is everything. Study your brands, know what you will want, study prices / value. If I were building a set from scratch now, I'd seriously consider Rip's stuff. It's solid. I'd make a Texas road trip of it. (I'm NOT from Texas).
    Shipping is a big ticket on this stuff... and you could catch a seminar.
    Sound advice. I have a gym membership so I can wait a few months as long as they don't close everything down again. Road trip to Texas, eh? Hmm, I've wanted to visit Texas anyway but it would be a 2500 mile round trip. That's a little too much road tripping. Anyway, appreciate the solid advice and thanks to Carson for letting me take up space in his thread.

Squat: 70 x 5; 120 x 3; 160 x 1; 182.5 x 6 x 1; 182.5 x 5 x1
    Press: 45 x 5; 65 x 3; 80 x 1; 85 x 5 x 2
    Dead: 135 x 5; 225 x 3; 300 x 1; 327.5 x 1; 292.5 x 3

happy glorious 4th carson!

starting strength coach development program
    Happy Fourth to you as well. When will your governor unlock your state?

We finally got to see our children and grandchildren this weekend. We hadn't seen them since Christmas. It was indeed "glorious".