starting strength gym
Page 59 of 140 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast

Thread: Here Comes Hercules.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have read a good bit about your Dr. and it seems you are one of the lucky ones to get good training and to have a good gym environment. I am hoping with being consistent with lifting, diet and sleep to help with some of those problems of aging. I am going to start a log like you suggested. Hopefully I won't get on here and embarrass myself. I also have the problems with the squat as you have. Shoulders. Ugh!

Here's what I use. Robot Check

I do a kind of squat with a straight bar at competition but it doesn't look good and the bar is more on my neck than should be.

Safety squat bar would help. I have not gave up hope yet but that's an option. I started a log if you're interested.

I worked with a straight bar for over a year and could never keep it off my neck. We got a safety bar and I can do a relatively close low bar back squat. I must use a straight bar in competition but keep the weights way down from what I can with a safety bar. I don't wish to seriously injure myself.

I'll check out your post.

The clinic took a week off. So my wife and I traveled to some favorite places and did some walkin.

Medium day:

Squat: 70 x 5; 160 x 3; 185 x 1; 197.5 x 2 x 2; 102.5 x 5 (paused)
    Bench: 45 x 5; 95 x 3; 135 x 1; 142.5 x 5; 113 x 8 x 2
    Dead: 135 x 3; 225 x 2; 280 x 1; 307.5 x 3 The goal was 5 but I ran out of gas. I think the mask is not helpful.

Week off..nice. Walking is always good. I retired and now I am working harder than I did at my paying job.

Looking at your log it looks like the basic SS PROGRAM 3B: FIXED 2-DAY but with a different set and rep setup. Am I correct that it looks very similar?

WORKOUT A
    SQUAT 3x5
    BENCH 3x5
    DEADLIFT 1x5

WORKOUT B
    SQUAT 3x5
    PRESS 3x5
    DEADLIFT 1x5

The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40 (p. 354). Kindle Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    Week off..nice. Walking is always good. I retired and now I am working harder than I did at my paying job.

Looking at your log it looks like the basic SS PROGRAM 3B: FIXED 2-DAY but with a different set and rep setup. Am I correct that it looks very similar?

WORKOUT A
    SQUAT 3x5
    BENCH 3x5
    DEADLIFT 1x5

WORKOUT B
    SQUAT 3x5
    PRESS 3x5
    DEADLIFT 1x5

The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40 (p. 354). Kindle Edition.
    It is an intermediate program. I finished LP in 2013 and have been using various intermediate programming since. I did a brief LP to get back into regularly lifting in June, July and part of September. I have now returned to HLM (Heavy, Light, Medium). I'm edging up to my top single from before the lockdown, (which I believe was unnecessary for health but necessary for the the Dems to beat the president).

I love the Deadlift so much that I pay little attention to the other lift numbers. I just do what's prescribed. I am, however, edging closer to my maximum single on all lifts and expect to surpass them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    It is an intermediate program. I finished LP in 2013 and have been using various intermediate programming since. I did a brief LP to get back into regularly lifting in June, July and part of September. I have now returned to HLM (Heavy, Light, Medium). I'm edging up to my top single from before the lockdown, (which I believe was unnecessary for health but necessary for the the Dems to beat the president).

I love the Deadlift so much that I pay little attention to the other lift numbers. I just do what's prescribed. I am, however, edging closer to my maximum single on all lifts and expect to surpass them soon.
    I thought that you were on an intermediate program. I was just comparing the fact that the exercises and the order of doing them matched the NLP program.

What are your max lifts?

My max singles as of March 15 were: Deadlift 375; Squat 267.5; Bench 185; Press 128. My ultimate goals as of now are: Deadlift 405; Squat 300; Bench 205; Press 140. I hope to reach them all before I'm 74 and reevaluate my goals.

starting strength coach development program
    Nice lifting Carson! I hope you reach your goals.