starting strength gym
Page 63 of 140 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: Here Comes Hercules.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Carson does Sulley have a set cycle for your weights to go up and down? Build up and then back off to recoup?

I'm not sure I fully understand the question but I'll give it a go and answer further if I don't answer the question you are looking into.

The first few months of lifting usually constitute the novice linear progression. When you reach the point at which you cannot increase your weights on a 5 x 3 or 5 x 1 (for deads). Then you begin an intermediate program, e.g., Texas Method, 531, or HLM. Texas turned out to be a bit too aggressive for me so he switched me to 531 for several months to over a year. Now I am on HLM.

HLM means Heavy, Light, Medium. The Light is the recouping which does not contain the Deadlift but some HIIT. In my case that's usually the prowler. I usually enjoy Heavy days the most because I get to show off. Last Monday was my heavy day. I didn't do as well as I had hoped. Friday will be my light day which gives me a chance to recoup.

Does that answer the question or is there more or something else that you were looking for?

Thanks Carson that's close enough.

Have you returned to competition?
    bit of a problem, as i have lost so much strength. At the same height as you, i weigh 187 lbs. Best weightlifters are short and heavily built, so i am behind the 8 ball. I will return when i get my power back.
    You are right that competition is a spur to progress and determination.

How did you lose strength?

Light day.

Squat: 70 x 5 (paused); 120 x 3; 160 x 1; 193 x 5 x 2; 100 x 5 (paused)
    Press: 45 x 5; 75 x 3; 95 x 1; 106 x 1; 75 x 8 x 2
    Prowler: 45 x 300 x 2

How did you lose strength?
    Gyms were closed here for 3 months during covid lockdown. Only had a 16 lb dumbell and walks. Busted up my shoulder again grinding pushups.

Quote Originally Posted by 76now View Post
    Gyms were closed here for 3 months during covid lockdown. Only had a 16 lb dumbell and walks. Busted up my shoulder again grinding pushups.
    Ours was also closed for 3 months. Dumbbells are not enough as you know. Pushups are my Achille's heal. I very much dislike them. I did them during the lockdown but was always glad when they were finished and I haven't even tried any since June.

We now have a clinic. We changed our name but have to wear masks. Sully says he now has over 2000 daily reports that we and he have had to make out in case the tyrants from the capital want to see evidence that we are a clinic and not a gym. I don't know if we will ever be free of this tyranny. I don't like it and don't see the point.

Still most springs I get a coughing spell for at least a month. I didn't have any. Maybe the mask made a difference. I don't know.

i've never been able to do pushups. i'm so glad i have a bar and some weights at home now

starting strength coach development program
    I have had weights at home since 1975. I stopped using them for almost the last 30 years though. Now at least I have gotten bit by the iron bug again but things are not the same as being in my twenties. Damn squats are hard now and for some reason harder than my bench's. Probably the back problems I have had for the last 20 year and avoiding any heavy lifting because of it.