Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Dillon's Intermediate Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    10/24/18
    Deadlift ID 355x3 (PR) 335x3
    Squats VD 280x5x5
    Last edited by Dillon Spencer; 10-25-2018 at 06:35 AM.

10/27/18
    Bench ID 22.5x3x2 (PR)
    Press VD 135x5x5
    Chins BWx10x3
    Incline DB press 60x8x3

This coming week is going to be a week of cool milestones. Gonna hit three plates for squats and two plates for bench. Also cool to do my press volume with my first intensity day weight on 4 day TM.

10/30/18
    Squats ID 315x5x1 (PR, three plates mother fucker!)
    Deadlift VD 290x5x2

This was delayed by a couple of days, as I used what would have been my Sunday workout time to take my dad to the gym in an attempt to get him lifting. He's got some work to do, but I think he's going to give it an honest shot. It was also partially tactical, as it pushes the shortest of my four workouts to a weeknight. Three plates were a breeze! Even felt like my form was more solid than it was just a couple of weeks ago. Obviously, I made sure to get video.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    (PR, three plates mother fucker!)
    Noice.

10/31/18
    Press ID 152.5x5x1 (PR)
    Bench VD 190x5x5
    Rows 155x8x3
    Incline DB press 60x10x3
    Curls 80x8x3

Well the fives just keep going up on the press, so I'm just going to keep at it until I can't before I run it out. PPST:3 says you should have a plan for when you start running out reps, but I don't think any of my lifts are heavy enough that I'll be overly fatigued by failing a set before I start to do it. Recently listened to Reynolds talk about how he LPs rows up in sets of 8 until that runs out, so I backed off the weight a bit to do that. Then, having already gotten my Halloween on at school all day, and being a childless apartment dweller, tossed in some incline DB pressing that I'm enjoying recently and a few curls. Just because I had nothing better to do on this spooky eve than watch a Les Mills "BodyFlow" class full of grown ass adults get tired, sweaty, and hot in Halloween costumes while I knocked out some accessory work. Very entertaining.

11/6/18
    Deadlift ID 360x3 340x3
    Squats VD 285x5x5

Finally back in the gym after a weekend away causing a couple of missed workouts! Didn't think it was long enough to justify anything other than picking up right where I left off. Got all my lifts but it sucked. Quite impressed with Mr. Wolf right now, as the plan he gave me for running out my deadlifts has been going exactly to plan, to the point that he wrote it out as switching to doubles at 370, which based on today seems like it'll be spot on. Almost like these guys know some shit about shit or something.

DUUUUUUUUUDE: that three plate squat like a champ.
    Also, kudos on easily the best Halloween ever. I gave out candy to trick-or-treaters while sipping on a post workout shake. No sweaty grown ass adults to be seen.

Thanks JR! That sounds like a decent Halloween too. Wish I got to hand out candy, but that's apartment life. At least I get the adorable Halloween experience at school!

11/10/18
    Bench ID 225x3x2 (PR, two plates mother fucker!)
    Press VD 137.5x5x5
    Chins 25x5x3

Overall this has been a shitty week of training in terms of actually getting to the gym. Life, yo. Next week might be tough too. That being said, when I've made it there I've been fresh as a daisy and all my weights went up well. Last squat volume day left me with adductor DOMS I'm still feeling today, probably because it had been a week between sessions. Hoping it's gone for tomorrow! Going to go coach my dad, then crush 320. Decided to start working weighted chins in more consistently. My bodyweight seems to have stabilized in the 210-215 range (don't entirely trust the scale at my gym) so I'm going to start loading them up instead of letting my body weight LP them for me. Still hoping to get up to ~225, so I can cut a little fluff and remain a fully grown adult male. The holiday season should help with that goal!

11/11/18
    Squats ID 320x5x1 (PR)
    Deadlift VD 295x5x2

320 felt significantly heavier than 315, but ended up going up just fine. Rep 5 was the first time in a while that failing a rep even entered my mind. Ended up being a bit of a grinder, but far from the worst I've ever had. I fucking hate deadlifting with a belt at the best of times, but today I had the burps and just couldn't deal, so did these beltless. Didn't seem to matter much.
    Last edited by Dillon Spencer; 11-11-2018 at 06:35 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    11/13/18
    Press ID 155x3x2 (PR)
    Bench VD 192.5x5x5
    Hammer curls 30x11x5
    Rows 160x8x3

I've been toying with the idea of running out reps on the press for a couple of weeks now, and decided today was the day to do it. For whatever reason, I got about four hours sleep last night and worked an 11 hour day. I wasn't exactly feeling at my best. Think it was a good decision, because the way threes felt, I don't think I would have had fahve in me. On a better day, maybe, but today was not a better day. Got it done though!
    Last edited by Dillon Spencer; 11-13-2018 at 10:56 PM.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast