starting strength gym
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Dillon's Intermediate Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    really good form

Thanks! Wish I'd gotten it together sooner. Probably would have made a lot more progress on my squat during LP, among other dumb mistakes I made.

11/14/18
    Deadlift ID 365x2 340x2x2
    Squats VD 290x5x5(6?)

Great day today! The deadlift runout continues to plan. Wolf said it wasn't a prescription, but I figure I might as well stick to it pretty closely. He seems to know what he's doing, after all haha Last squat volume day felt like shit, but this one felt fantastic. Might have actually done an extra set. Went for a piss between sets, and forgot if I'd done two or three sets when I got back. Figured better safe than sorry so did three more.

Nice work on that 11.13 workout! 4 hrs sleep + a long work day= yikes!

I've had the same experience on losing count on sets. Happened yesterday with the press. Interesting how one never loses rep count on a heavy set of squats

Yeah man, your squat form is excellent. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw you post months ago about a multi session stall around 255. How did you get through it?

Quote Originally Posted by j.r. View Post
    Nice work on that 11.13 workout! 4 hrs sleep + a long work day= yikes!

I've had the same experience on losing count on sets. Happened yesterday with the press. Interesting how one never loses rep count on a heavy set of squats

Yeah man, your squat form is excellent. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw you post months ago about a multi session stall around 255. How did you get through it?
    Thanks JR! Yeah funny how one always knows exactly how many squats are left in a set isn't it?

Man I spent the better part of my LP dicking around between 275 and 295. At first I tried 5x3, to 4x4, 3x5 to get a weight (NDTP), think I reset twice, eventually going to a top set and back offs. I made a ton of mistakes on LP, especially with my squat. To be honest it barely moved for months. I started too heavy, didn't get my form dialled in until I was already stuck, didn't eat enough right away. Not exactly a role model! In my defense I had old versions of the books that didn't have as many tips for extending LP. Was kind of trying to solve it on my own at first and then from stuff I read around here. I didn't get it moving consistently until I started intermediate programming, and that's only +5lbs/week instead of the 10-15 I could have been "enjoying." I think what made the biggest difference is that I've managed to eat my way up to ~210, from ~190 when I stalled, and improving my form to get some actual hip drive going on. You're already eating like a monster and have pretty damn good form from what I can see, so I'm not sure my personal experience is all that helpful for you. You're already DTP better than I did! Most of the time, when I'm doling out advice on running an NLP around here it's to prevent someone from making one of the stupid mistakes I made!

11/17/18
    Bench ID 227.5x3x2 (PR)
    Press VD 140x5x5
    Chins 25x6x3

Bench felt HEAVY today! Was real glad I set up in a rack with safeties because I was unsure about those third reps. Usually pretty conservative about attempting reps I'm not confident with on the bench because at my globogym there are only two racks where I can set the safeties up at a good height, and very few people I'll trust to give a competent spot. Today I was safe to grind, so grind I did. Nothing crazy, but a good experience. Presses felt good and strong today. Nice change from Tuesday.

11/18/18
    Squats ID 325x5x1 (PR)
    Deadlift VD 300x5x2

325 felt easier than 320! Usually I listen to podcasts when I lift (or pretty much any time), but today I tossed on some Kendrick for the set. I’ll chalk it up to that. Deadlifts felt awful, but that was because I had been for a pub lunch with my girlfriend a couple of hours earlier and getting into position sucked. Really, my only issue with today’s workout was a very real fear that I might projectile vomit shepherds pie all over the gym in the middle of a set. Didn’t though!

11/20/18
    Press ID 157.5x3x2 (PR)
    Bench VD 195x5x5
    DB hammer curls 30x12x5
    Rows 165x8x3

My last press ID was a shitty day so I made the switch to triples. Today I probably could have hit this for 5 no problem. PPST says reducing reps should feel like a bit of a break though, so I stuck with the plan and did triples instead of grinding out five. Bench was easy without much rest because I was in a hurry to get to pizza again. Good day!
    Last edited by Dillon Spencer; 11-21-2018 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Can't type

11/22/18
    Deadlift ID 370x2 345x2x2 (PR)
    Squats VD 290x5x5

So today I repeated last week's volume day weight just to keep it from creeping up over 90% of intensity day. Also recently read through an old TM thread and learned most people seem to progress well keeping volume day at 80-85% of intensity day. I was keeping mine ~90%, mostly because I ended LP a bit early so wanted to keep pushing it hard. Reading that thread made me think about tinkering with that a bit though. Anyways, despite this being a repeat of a weight I had no problem with last week, I fucking hated it's evil iron guts today. No particular reason I can figure, but the bar felt like shit on my back, my form felt shitty, and the last couple of reps of every set felt like I was grinding out a new 5RM. It's done though, so here's hoping the next one sucks less!

11/25/18
    Bench ID 230x3x2 (PR)
    Press VD 140x5x5
    Chins 25x7x3
    Incline DB press 65x8,8,7
    Curls 90x5x3 50x8 drop set

Bench felt the best it's felt in weeks! 230 felt so easy I though about going for 5 on the first set, but I stuck with the plan and hit a couple of casual triples. Repeated my last press volume from last week just to keep it close to, but no higher than, 90%. This worked out to ~88%. Didn't have much on the schedule today so stuck around to fuck with some dumbbell presses and curls. Solid day!

starting strength coach development program
    Dude, finally got around to catching up on your log. You're in the zone it seems.

The 4day TM you're using has ID and VD same day for different lifts; where'd you find that template? I like it, but not enough to switch mid-cycle. Maybe later.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast