• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    9/4/18
    Bench ID 207.5x5 (PR)
    Press VD 125x5x5
    Chins 6-6-5 w/ 35lbs
    Curls 60x10x3

Wasn't sure about an upper body day immediately after a lower body day, as I've heard that the latter can impact the former negatively. All the weights went up easy though. It's a little bit irritating because I've missed both my recent press and bench ID PRs the first time, but when I hit them the next week I feel like I might have had another 2.5lbs in me. I'm happy with 2.5lbs PRs each week, but taking two weeks to hit them means only 5lbs of progress a month, which I'm less than thrilled with. Hopefully it's just a blip and doesn't become a pattern!

I've also noticed another nice feature of the 4 day TM, in that sometimes it can can be a 3 day program as outlined by Andy Baker here. I shoot for four days per week, but sometimes it will end up being three, and I don't beat myself up about it. I actually often have much better workouts with a little extra recovery time.

Had a busy week that caused me to miss a workout. If I'd kept the usual order going it would have put me into a schedule of doing lower days before upper days, but that isn't optimal. I decided to take the hit, skip my scheduled lower body day (I know, I know) so I could start a new week on the preferred schedule.

9/9/18
    Press ID 137.5x5 (PR)
    Bench VD 187.5x5x5
    Chins 3x10
    Curls 70x8x3
    LTEs 50x10x3

Got my new press PR on the first try this week, so hopefully that will continue. Chins also felt strong today. Banged out a pretty comfortable 3 sets of 10, which was cool since I'm pretty much the heaviest I've ever been. Still haven't cracked the 200 lbs mark of a fully grown adult male, but I'm sitting consistently above 195. First time trying LTEs the way Rip teaches them. The weight was too light, but I just rolled with it as it was a new exercise. I like how it kind of incorporates a pullover type motion. Makes it feel a lot more like a bigger compound movement than skull crusher style triceps extensions. Going to try to make them a more regular addition to the program.

9/10/18
    Squats VD 260x5x5
    Deadlift 340x5 (PR)

Quick in and out with no extra work this time. After that bar position video that's been making the rounds recently, I was focusing on narrowing my grip. Not sure how it worked as the bar was definitely moving around a bit, and I have a pretty good abrasion on my right scapula to show for it. Definitely felt the fatigue build up across the sets this week. First one felt easy as anything, but by the last it got grindy and I'm not sure how my form was looking. Hoping to take a form check video again soon, but it's pretty hard on a week night because my gym gets crowded AF. Deadlifts felt HARD, but I think I kept my form together pretty well except for perhaps the last rep.

9/12/18
    Body weight: 197
    Bench ID 210x5 (PR)
    Press VD 125x5x5
    Chins 3x5 w/ 35 lbs
    LTEs 60x10x3
    Curls 70x10x3

Only thing that didn't go great today was weighted chins. Lost a couple of reps from last time. Overall, I'll take it!

I don't lift for lower body one session then upper body the next. I don't know many who do. Have you tried mixing them during sessions? Do you find upper/lower on different sessions make a difference? What are your stats like: age, weight, and height?

31, 197 lbs at 6"

I haven't done full body workouts since NLP. I'm doing the 4 day Texas Method type of upper/lower split. I liked the total body workouts from the NLP, but my workouts were getting to be too long once I started back to work. I'm a teacher, tutor some nights after school, and train at a busy commercial gym. 2 hour workouts were becoming the norm as everything got heavier, and I just don't have time for that on week nights. I can get to the gym often, but not for 2 hours at a time if I want to have time to cook and get a good night's sleep. The 4 day upper/lower split seemed like something that would fit my schedule reasonably well. When I have the time I can throw in some assistance/accessory work, but when I don't I can get in and out with just two lifts if need be. I've been reading more about HLM and like the sounds of something like that, but I have a history of program hopping so since I've started into SS I've been trying to give a program a really good run before mixing it up. Since this is what I picked after NLP, I'm probably going to try to ride it until it stops working.

So to answer your other question, I do find that upper/lower sessions allow for faster workouts and a bit of variety which I enjoy. I think the extra recovery days are also helpful. As far as effectively getting me stronger, it's hard to say. I'm more of a "situational intermediate" than a guy that milked every last drop out of NLP, so I probably had novice gains still to make. So far everything seems to be going up slowly but steadily which I'm cool with. I've also only been doing it for maybe 3-4 weeks so it's a little early to really judge.

9/14/18
    Squats ID 290x5x1
    RDLs 275x5x3
    Power Cleans 145x3x3
    GHD Sit-ups 3x10 w/ 25 lbs

Everything felt great except the power cleans. Took some weight off to try and improve my technique. I have trouble with touching my thigh with the bar before jumping. I usually jump too early. I was still doing it even with less weight, although some reps were good. Keep working I guess! They're more of a project because I want to be good at them than something I count on for strength gains, but it's still frustrating. I was looking forward to attempting a new 5RM on squats next week, especially with how manageable 290 felt yesterday, but I have a bit of a busy social week before I hit a cottage on the weekend. Going to try to get all my workouts in, but I'm not sure how to pull it off... More to come!

9/16/18
    Press ID 140x5x1 (PR)
    Bench VD 190x5x5
    Cable Rows 160x10x3
    LTEs 70x10x2
    Curls 70x10x2

Had a bit of a cranky elbow today, so I did some cable rows instead of chins. My elbows seem to like them more. Also cut LTEs and curls short by a set because they weren't feeling great, but whatever it's just extra stuff. Hit my press PR and the bench volume felt pretty easy, so the important stuff was all good.

9/18/18
    Body weight: 202 lbs (PR)
    Squats VD 265x5x5
    Deadlift ID 345x4x1

Saw a body weight starting with a 2 for the first time in my life, so that was pretty cool. I don't think I'm quite to the point where I'll maintain that consistently, but it was great to be a fully grown adult male for at least one weigh in. I wasn't expecting a great workout today, because yesterday was a late night with several drinks involved. I got my squats done, but they moved slower than this weight should have. I missed my last rep on my deadlifts, which isn't entirely surprising with how 240 felt last week, and how... let's say sub-optimal my recovery was since my last workout. I also never really did a reset on my deadlift during my abbreviated LP, so maybe I'm creeping up on that being necessary. I'll try again next week and see how it goes!

starting strength coach development program
    9/19/18
    Bench ID 112.5x5x1 (PR)
    Press VD 127.5x5x5
    Dips BWx10x3
    Chins BWx10,8,6

Everything felt great! Was hesitant about chins because of the cranky elbow, but they felt fine. Still not sure where I'm going to fit my next squat intensity day in before the weekend, but worst case I'll get it in Sunday when I'm back from the cottage.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast