• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    9/24/18
    BW: 200
    Squats ID 295x5x1 (PR)
    RDLs 275x7x3
    Hanging leg raises BWx10x3

So I basically missed a couple of workouts because of social obligations, but despite that and suboptimal recovery while I was at my buddy's cottage for his birthday weekend, I smashed my squat PR today. At the the end of my LP 295 stapled me after 3 reps. Today the bar barely even slowed down. Very satisfying! Stoked to get after the big 300 next week. Also cool to see 200 showing up on the scale more consistently. It still fluctuates around that mark, sometimes above and sometimes below, but I'm real close to being a fully grown adult male!

9/26/18
    Press ID 142.5x5x1 (PR)
    Bench VD 190x5x5
    Chins 35x5x3
    Press 115x5x2
    Curls 80x6x3

So when I was plotting out my transition to a 4 day TM type of split, Andrew Jackson SSC mentioned that at some point the press might benefit from a little extra volume on intensity day. My last couple of press intensity days have felt pretty grindy, so I decided to try adding a couple of light back off sets after my volume bench, between sets of weighted chins. Still experimenting with different assistance exercises to stick with consistently, but I think I'm going to run with dips on bench ID, and press back off sets on press ID day for a while.
    Last edited by Dillon Spencer; 09-26-2018 at 08:19 PM.

9/29/18
    Squats VD 265x5x5
    Razor curls BWx8x3
    Back extensions BWx15x2

Squats felt fine today, except for the fact that I managed to strain my neck real good doing them on an early set. Managed to get through them with some pain, but my warm up to DL told me it was a very bad idea to make a second attempt at a new PR. Just did some stuff on the roman chair and got out of there. The plan is to make my next lower body day an intensity day for both lifts and see how that goes. Kind of like the idea because it might make for a nice short workout on a weeknight, so if it works I may run with volume for both lifts one day on a weekend when I have lots of time, and intensity for both lifts on a weeknight when I don't. They may interfere with one another, but I don't want to wait a full week until I DL again, so I'm going to give it a shot. Also got the chance to take some form check videos like I've been meaning to for a while, so off to post them I go!

10/5/18
    BW: 202
    Bench ID 215x5x1 (PR)
    Press VD 127.5x5x5
    Cable rows 160x10x3

First day back after roughly a week off while I waited for this stupid neck strain to subside. Until today, I wasn't able to bridge for the bench or get my arms overhead to press. It was still pretty sore today, but I could at least move enough to do the shit I needed to do. Debated whether to repeat my last workout or go up, and ended up splitting the difference with a new bench PR, but rounded down to last week's volume press weight. Decided on some cable rows for my pulling because a good dose of horizontal pulling has historically made my neck/shoulder/upper back feel better whenever they hurt. Curious to see how squats and deads go tomorrow, seeing as how I did it squatting and deads were a hard no when it first happened. We'll see!

10/6/18
    Squats ID 300x5x1 (PR)
    Deadlift VD 275x5x2
    Back extensions 25x10x3
    Hanging leg raises BWx11x3

Squatting 300x5 was a fun milestone that I feel like I've been chasing for way too long. During my LP I kept stalling out right before I got there, but better late than never! It went up pretty easily too. Next short term goal is 3 plates per side. The way things have been going I feel like it should come pretty smoothly in a few weeks. Neck was still sore, but deadlifts were fine. Decided to try regular old deadlifts on volume day instead of RDLs, because the rep I missed last time was off the floor. We'll see how that goes.

Just for fun, here's video of 300x5!

10/8/18
    BW: 210 (PR)
    Press ID 145x5x1 (PR)
    Bench VD 192.5x5x5
    Rows 185x5x3
    Press 120x5x2
    Curls 80x8x3

Well I hit two PRs today, press and body weight. Pretty sure I didn't really gain 8 pounds since Friday, but I did start loading up on creatine this week so maybe I'm just retaining a bunch of water. Yesterday was also Thanksgiving up here in Canadia, so it could be turkey weight. Either way, I hope it sticks around! After listening to the new Barbell Logic today I decided to incorporate more rowing. Bench volume days will be for rows, press volume days will be for chins.

Nice PRs! I always liked the 4 day TM format--ran it a couple of times.

Thanks Geoff! This is my first foray into intermediate programming, and I'm really liking this format so far.

10/11/18
    BW: 208 lbs (knew that 210 was too good to be true, but this was on a legit balance scale and all I'd eaten was a smoothie and some almonds)
    Deadlift ID 345x3x2
    Squats VD 270x5x5

Was reading my shiny new copy of PPST:3 before I hit the gym yesterday, and it talked about running out rep ranges before you start failing. Whoops. Failed my last set of 5 on deads last week, so tonight I went with 2 sets of 3. Went up no problem, but I'm not sure if multiple sets are prescribed on the deadlift. Doesn't look like it from PPST, but my deadlift is also rather shitty, so I doubt two triples is too strenuous. Also feel like the deadlift has become my weakest lift with regards to form, so now that my squat is reasonably sorted out it'll be my next priority. Speaking of squats, I felt like I had them dialed in last night! After a couple of form checks calling me out on upper back tightness, I feel like I nailed it last night. My elbows were glued to my sides all the way through almost every rep rather than cranking upwards. Didn't get video but I'll take it as a good sign. Off to bug Wolf for tips on running out the deadlift!
    Last edited by Dillon Spencer; 10-12-2018 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Forgot to include BW

10/12/18

Power cleans 95x1x15 EMOM

I was power cleaning on LP, and as the weight got heavier my form got shittier. I just kept jumping early, and the heavier they got the earlier I jumped. I want to get proficient at the power clean as I want to be able to coach it, but I'm not really counting on it to drive any strength increases, as my current ability to do it with proper form requires weights that are far too light. My plan is to sneak in some technique work wherever I can. The weight increases will be conservative until they reach a point that can be useful for driving strength, but for the time being form is king. This is just a little educational project I'm running on the side. It might be a little extra work on lower body days, or something that I do on days between real workouts. Let's see how it goes!

starting strength coach development program
    10/13/18
    Bench ID 217.5x3x2
    Press VD 130x5x5
    Chins BWx10x3
    Dips BWx10x3

Well, it looks like I'm running out the bench as well as the deadlift now! Last week's bench ID was a real grind on the last rep, and now that I'm trying to avoid missing reps before switching rep ranges, I went into today expecting to make a mid-set decision on how to proceed (not ideal I know). After rep 3 I wasn't sure I'd get 5 and, as usual, didn't have a spotter, so I went with two triples. Felt like the right call. That weird, almost bruised feeling around my biceps came back during my last bench volume day, and was still there today. Maybe it played a part in not hitting my fahve today, but even if it did I think this is a good time to start running it out. I've been making steady gains on sets of 5 for about two months now, which seems like a pretty good run. Gonna keep going for the fahves on the squat and press a little longer. Still feel like there's more room for gains there.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast