• starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Pivot Week Day 1: PRESS

Worked singles up. Previous PR: 190. Today:
    195x1

200x1

205x1

210x1

A good day. Blew the rims off my old PR. Video of 205: YouTube Video of 210: YouTube
    Awesome

Pivot Week Day 3: BENCH

Worked singles up. Previous PR: 300. Today:
    305x1

310x1

A good day again. Can't find adequate space for a good bench video that shows my lower body in contact with the floor. This is somewhat irksome, since the videos of me benching that I have show me wobbling a lot, and I'd like to see my legs in the video to see what the hell I'm doing to cause that. Video of 305: YouTube Video of 310: YouTube

Pivot Week Day 4: DEADLIFT

Worked singles up. Previous PR: 435. Today:
    440x1

445x1

A good day, and the final day of Pivot Week. I've got no complaints on form on these; just wish the grip strength wasn't so dodgy. Video of 440: YouTube Video of 445: YouTube

Got my weights dialed in for the beginning of 4-day TM Monday; let's go do this damned thing.

Congrats on all your PRs!
    Good luck with TM. Curious how long the workouts will take, how much volume you are programming.

Thanks Mike!

We shall see how long it takes; 4-day TM looks like it will actually be shorter *per day* than the 3day variants.

Day 1 I've got 5x5 on the bench, and then three fahves of Close Grip Bench. I'm going to try for 185 on the close grip, just as a wild guess, since I haven't done CG in a long time.

Total volume for day 1 then is 8 sets of 5, 40 working reps.

4-Day Texas Method: W1D1

Well, I did what I said I would.

Bench: 235x5x5

This was my volume work for bench. Set 1, I did touch-and-go. Sets 2 thru 5 I moved to dead-stop bench, just to get used to the feeling. The last rep of the last set, I held static at the bottom for a *long* time, a slow 5-Mississippi, then pushed up.

Close Grip Bench: 185x5x3

This was my "bench assist." I'm not sure if I'm doing this right: Was I supposed to have done longer sets? Or more? An example I saw in the source books showed volume similar to this, so I went with it. As for weight, I had no idea what a good weight would be. 185 was okay, but perhaps a bit light. Next Monday, if I'm on CG again, I'll do a 10lb jump to 195. I did dead-stop on all of these reps, again with the exaggerated pause on the final rep.

A good day: All prescribed reps and sets and weights complete.

4-Day Texas Method: W1D2

Volume squat.

Squat: 325x5x5

By the third set I was closer to the Lord than I've been in a month. By the fifth, I thought I might meet Him.

Rows (Pronated): 205x5x3

These came up, and then I went home and took in about 1000 calories of mostly fried chicken. And 75mg of Diclofenac.

All prescribed reps and sets and weights complete; a good day.

I think the benches on the stall would kill me. I mean they would have crushed my chest, broken all of my ribs, and ruptured my lungs and hearts. Great work and I'm glad you survived.

Bench was easy by comparison. Squats near to murdered me. We've all got our strengths and... Lesser strengths? Heh.

Right now I'm feeling a lot better but wondering how much training I'm going to miss because of meet-peaking.

What's your pre-meet plan?

starting strength coach development program
    Oh man, read your post to wolf and had to pop in. How many minutes did you rest between squat sets?

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast