starting strength gym
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Geoff's youngish-old-guy Intermediate Training Log, v1.0

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Bench was easy by comparison. Squats near to murdered me. We've all got our strengths and... Lesser strengths? Heh.

Right now I'm feeling a lot better but wondering how much training I'm going to miss because of meet-peaking.

What's your pre-meet plan?
    It's pretty standard HLM until a week before the meet. I will do some light training on Monday and skip Friday in preparation for Saturday's meet. We probably won't be back for training until the following Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Longnecker View Post
    Oh man, read your post to wolf and had to pop in. How many minutes did you rest between squat sets?
    8 minutes! Feigenbaum wrote (I could find it but can't be fussed) that basically, after 5 minutes, you've got 80% ATP regen, and after 8 minutes, you've got basically 100% ATP regen.

So when my stopwatch hits 8:00, I tighten my wrist wraps and my belt, and approach the bar -- which means I actually unrack closer to the 9 minute mark.

4-Day Texas Method: W1D3

Intensity Bench

Bench: 280x5

Light Press: 135x5x3

No drama here. Did dead-stop on the first four reps of bench, then a touch and go to complete the set as I was getting smoked.

On the press, I took advantage of the light day to work on grip. I came in two finger-widths on each side. The form felt reasonably smooth, but the data isn't in yet: The weight was light, and bound to be smooth anyway. And, I'd just fatigued myself with an intense bench set. More to follow.

4-Day Texas Method: W1D4

Intensity Squat/Pull

Squat: 355x5

Hard, grindy, mentally taxing, but doable. Soli Deo Gloria.

Deadlift: 410x5

I had to breathe a lot between reps and psych myself up. Probably 90 seconds for the set, but it was a set -- as my hands never left the bar. I've never done these RIGHT after squats before; I've always had bench or press between. I felt the difference today.

Lifted in my competition singlet today. Came in wearing a baggy Army shirt and shorts, and would put them back on between warmups or for water breaks, but stripped down to competition attire for each warmup and work set. It's a good singlet; got the SBD in XL.
    Last edited by Geoff Bischoff; 09-28-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Additional work:

2 mile run for time: 17:52.

I haven't run a single step since some time in June, I'd have to check my novice log to see when.

APFT is coming up 13 October, and I only need to pass this one, not kill it. So I set out today to answer one question:

1) Can I pass the Army 2-mile run event after intensity squat/pull?

This matters because the 13th is going to be right after intensity squat/pull, so I wanted to know ASAP if I needed to drop my intensity work on the 12th, or if I can hang. Result:

17:52 is a pass for a 40-year-old male, with 26 seconds to spare. Test day I'm sure I can lean into it a bit since the pressure will be on, and cut additional time, just to make the numbers look good. Initial assessment is that I can blow through this APFT cycle, and therefore all of FY19, without having to interrupt strength training.

4-Day Texas Method: W2D1

Volume Press

Press: 155x5x5

This got to be quite painful by the end, in the same way last week's squat volume was, but since it uses smaller muscle groups the exhaustion was more localized. Kept the newly-narrowed grip, two fingers inside the knurling. These went smoothly despite the challenge of volume-related muscle soreness.

Press assistance: Press Lockouts, nose-height. 185x1, 0, 0. 135x5x2.

Yeah, I had no idea what to set the weight for on these. Still don't. If the goal was to totally trash myself like I used to in Crossfit/bodybuilding nonsense, then I succeeded. I was just shy of whimpering when I got to my car and had to use my poor abused deltoids to raise the keys to the ignition interface.

Definitely created focused stress today; I'll call it a win, and next time volume press comes up, I think I'll do pin-presses again, at same height, but use the same weight I repped with for sets across. See how that goes.

Tomorrow: Intensity squat, but with SSC Burman! Fun stuff. My wife will also get some hands on, which she needs. She's gotten a lot of diet and polypharmacy thrown at her by her endocrinologist lately, and is having a hard time knowing which way is up, programming wise. I try to help her, but I'm having a hard time picking weights for her to do sets across with -- her strength is wonky and unpredictable day to day on all this crap plus her weird short-term medical diet. Hopefully Nikki can provide some sanity in the form of some moderate programming for maintenance during this hard spell, with some gains built in. Wife might have to be a "situational intermediate" right now or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    4-Day Texas Method: W2D1

Volume Press

Press: 155x5x5

This got to be quite painful by the end, in the same way last week's squat volume was, but since it uses smaller muscle groups the exhaustion was more localized. Kept the newly-narrowed grip, two fingers inside the knurling. These went smoothly despite the challenge of volume-related muscle soreness.
    i can provide some sanity in the form of some moderate programming for maintenance during this hard spell, with some gains built in. Wife might have to be a "situational intermediate" right now or something.
    I experienced this too a while back, couldn't figure out if it was "good" or "bad" pain. But a really focused pain in my delts. Eventually, it just stopped hurting.

Quote Originally Posted by Espen Lund View Post
    I experienced this too a while back, couldn't figure out if it was "good" or "bad" pain. But a really focused pain in my delts. Eventually, it just stopped hurting.
    For me, it felt like a more intense version of what I used to think of as "good pain" back in my less focused working out days. Within a half hour it was a dull roar, and by the end of lunch I didn't notice it at all. I'm crossing my fingers that whatever it was ends up driving hypertrophy!

4-Day Texas Method: W2D2

Volume Squat

Squat: 330x5x4; 330x1

Failed in fifth set. Stopped in bottom position maybe 2 inches out of the hole on ascent due to a sharp pain in left adductor. I think I'm fine; a minor pull I can work through with air squats and active recovery. Thankfully SSC Burman was present and coaching me (highly helpful!) and talked me through some form issues that have crept in. I think the pain may be related to finally doing the lift *right*. Also, after observing me, Nikki thinks I should scale back volume a bit (similar to Reynolds' "Old Man TM" concept) to 4x5 or even 3x5, or some other variants she gave me. She reminded me that volume day on TM is supposed to cause a stress which drives adaptation *but is recoverable* by Friday's intensity session. Best tip: I've been riding the bar high all along, by about an inch. Not quite high bar, not quite low bar. Squats got instantly easier with this adjustment.

Row: 225x5x3

Nikki adjusted my grip "one fist wider than deadlift" and recommended pronation rather than supination. These 225s came up easier than 210 last week, largely as a result of that.

starting strength coach development program
    Good to hear that you think all will be okay. Glad you got some good coaching too!

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast