starting strength gym
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Geoff's youngish-old-guy Intermediate Training Log, v1.0

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Presses suck like that indeed. I'm learning that first hand. Recently hit, 167.5 for 3 doubles, have attempted 170 twice since and couldn't get it past my forehead. And that's with my 5x5s having gotten into the 150s, which is well past my intensity 5s when I first started TM. That's why I'm experimenting with Andy Baker's 8/5/2 for a bit. He talks about how eventually 5s, 3s, and 1s start to cluster really close together and how increasing the spread of the rep ranges can sustain progress. Trying that and some assistance stuff to strengthen my lockout to see if I can keep driving my press up. Fully grown adult males don't just weigh 200. They press that shit.

One tip I've picked up from practice is bracing/Valsalva before you unrack the press and holding it throughout the entire set. This keeps you tight throughout the set. The key is getting the air into the belly/belt and not the chest/lungs as you will get dizzy as shit. Sometimes I still get dizzy and have to stop the set, but I'll come back and knock it out while not lightheaded.

So I had an okay press day today. Downside was it was supposed to be deadlift day.

4day TM W17D2

Intensity Deadlift

Deadlift: 420x1, 3, 1 Video of some reps at Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “420*1, 3... What a clownshow. I pulled the first rep off my loading wedge, then noticed at lockout. This bar at the Nashville Y is slippery…”

Total clownshow. I pulled rep 1 off my loading wedge, noticed, reset, pulled three more. Then pulled for number 5 and the bar was so slippery (even with chalk) it fell out of my hands from basically lockout-height. At which point the Y employee came up and said I should pull from pads. Whatever. I pulled a clean rep from the pads just to get 5 total. Juuuust dumb. I was strong enough to complete the set, and would have done so with my hometown barbell. So I guess I'll repeat this weight at home next week.

Light Squat: Not conducted

Adductor's still pissed off. I may very well just leave squats off until I'm back at my hometown gym and see how that feels.

So ... I was so pissed about deadlifts that I just did tomorrow's workout.

4day TM, W17D3

Intensity press, light bench

Press: 190x5 (5PR!) Video at Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “190*5. New 5rep PR. Let the targets fall! SDG #texasmethod #power #powerlifting #strong #startingstrength #strengthlifting #stronglifts…”

This was pretty easy by comparison. I definitely have more fahves in the tank.

Light bench: 225x5x3

This was programmed for 215x5x3, but I don't even get out of bed for a sub-2-plate bench these days, so I just punched it up to my allowable minimum. Easy. Paused them all; long pause on rep 5.

Weird day; didn't go as planned but still pulled a PR out of it. SDG

You make these look good given the bad lifting equipment. No clue on the adductors, but have you tried light weight squats (e.g. 225), perhaps for reps, to encourage blood to the area in hopes of quicker recovery? Again, I have no clue on your injury there, so go with what you feel is right, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Geoff here isn't a big fan of high volume. He'd probably go for a similar deal to his rehab with heavier doubles and triples.

Quote Originally Posted by Devyn Stewart View Post
    Geoff here isn't a big fan of high volume. He'd probably go for a similar deal to his rehab with heavier doubles and triples.
    Yeah man, I'm past my expiration date wrt high-volume squats at any weight.

Don't know what the deal is, but feels like a minor pull. I didn't have a situation this time where I felt a tear or anything. Right now the plan is:

1) Rest from squats until I'm back from Nashville and in my hometown gym; I'm done with the Nashville YMCA.

2) Do Monday's volume work as normal unless my body says I really am injured and not just sore.

3) Make a decision to either rehab, or just train, based on Monday.

That was an easy press PR for you. It looked like the bar went forward of mid foot for the last 2 reps and you still knocked them out.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisza View Post
    That was an easy press PR for you. It looked like the bar went forward of mid foot for the last 2 reps and you still knocked them out.
    Yeah, I did feel rep 4-5 slide off track and had to press back to correct. It was pretty easy overall. My press is ahead of all the lifts comparatively right now.

Wow! Looks like your press is headed wayyy up, judging by the bar speed of that 195

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by m.z.mac View Post
    Wow! Looks like your press is headed wayyy up, judging by the bar speed of that 195
    Alas, only 190! But I agree. I think I've got more 5reps in the tank.

4day TM, W18D1 part 1

Volume Bench

Bench: 245x5x5

Army stuff all week, and no food today except two eggs and a sausage link at 0700, workout was at 1700. I was feeling a bit dizzy but I wanted benches done. Also no kit. So, this was beltless and wrapless. Made my wrists do some work today! Competition pause, all reps.

Press: 185x3x2

Because I wanted to see if I could. Beltless and wrapless. Keeping straight wrists was challenging. But: No food, no gear, after bench volume, I can grab 185 and do triples with it. Good. I want to have a baseline where I can press 185, bench 225, squat 315, and pull 405 any day, any time, irrespective of the circumstances of the day. Today I tested it and passed.

Volume squats tomorrow: Did some 45lb squats this evening just to feel the movement; adductor feels okay. I'm going to titrate up tomorrow and see where I get. I'm feeling confident that I'm not injured, just sore.

SDG

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast