starting strength gym
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Geoff's youngish-old-guy Intermediate Training Log, v1.0

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    4day TM, W22D2: Intensity Deadlift, Rehab Squat, Intensity Bench

Okay, I'm away from home, stopped thru Winslow, AZ to get a session in, and decided to do all my intensity work in one session. Which sounds crazy when I type it out like that. Somehow, it actually worked out.

Intensity Deadlift: 440x5 (5PR!) Video at YouTube

Felt some rounding in the lower back on the later reps, but doesn't seem overly noticeable in video. My current recorded 4rm is 435; I'm now above that for a fahve. Not sure how many more 5s I've got. Don't plan to abort them; right now I just figure that one of these days I'll only get 4 reps, then I'll write that in my 4rm column and call it a PR too.

Rehab Squat: 315x3x3

These felt really good after the deadlift work. A volume bump from 6 reps to 9. Gonna keep it at 315 awhile longer and continue bumping volume.

Intensity Bench: 305x5 (5PR!) Video at YouTube

Got a surprisingly easy competition pause out of the first rep. TnG the rest. I'm super glad this came up for me.

So, got all the required work for the week done today. Which means tomorrow, at my home gym, I can put in additional upper body volume on presses. This is a really good place to be right now.

I keep calling this a 4day TM, because that's what it would be if I wasn't injured/traveling/et cetera. Only been making it 3/wk for a bit, but good intentions count ... right?

SDG

4day TM, W22D3

Light Press, DB Row

Press: 165x5x3

DB Row: 120x5/5x2

Some additional stress to finish off the week. Monday looks to be a fairly normal day of things.

Grats on the PRs. Those are no light weights. It's even more impressive being in a different gym. The change of equipment, knurling, music, etc is enough to throw someone off their game. You came in strong and rocked it.

I also don't know if I'd call what you've been doing only good intentions. Looking like you've rehabbed that squat pretty well. Lots of people would love to call 315 a PR, yet alone rehab weight.

Thanks abg. I'm overall content with training right now. Squats are my nemesis still, though ...

4day TM, W23D1: Volume Squat, Volume Press

Squat: 315x3x5

Still some mild adductor pain, but I'm going to stop calling this rehab. Got 15 working reps in; going to do an "intensity" day later this week that will probably be 325 or 335 for two triples. I think triples will be my maximum set length on heavy squats for the foreseeable future.

Press: 180x5x5

Heavy today! My best 5x5 is 185, so I'm not far off of that. Mondays have been a bit weird lately so I'll try not to read too much into it.

Got a "real" volume day done. Woohoo. SDG

Skipping today. Might do today's work tomorrow and try to squish sessions together. Last night I got effectively no sleep; went through final ordination council where I was questioned closely by some very sharp-minded men until my brain was the approximate consistency of shredded wheat, and then replayed it in my mind basically all night.

A great day though.

Turned out well.

Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “I present The Reverend Geoff Bischoff. God was mighty in me today; soli deo gloria. May Christ shine light through me as he strengthens…”

Congratulations, Geoff, on a job well done. Now to get to work/serving with it.

Thanks man. Enjoy your time with Coach Burman today!

4day TM W23D2, 3: Intensity DL, Intensity Press

Deadlift: 445x2

Press: 206x3 (3PR!)

Bench: 275x5x3

Row: 225x5x3

This is a catch-up log representing two days of work. The stress caught up to me a bit this week. My 445x5 crashed at 2, my press stopped at 3 (though the odd weights available made it 206, which is a PR over my last triple ... accidental PR!). Perhaps next week things will turn out better.

Okay: I'm calling the ballgame here. If I were able to prioritize training this runout as with the last one, I would expect a series of a couple more 5PRs, followed by new 3s, 2s, and singles PRs. However, I'm not able to do such prioritization, as my non-training life has been barking for attention these last few weeks, and looks to continue to do so going forward for the immediately foreseeable future. Ecclesiastical, military, familial duties are all clamoring for attention, and I may achieve little more than "maintenance" for a bit.

So I will close this log, and begin a "v2.0" log as I continue in intermediate land. This log will stand as a record of my time running 4day TM, with two competitions in the middle.

SDG.

starting strength coach development program
    Good work my friend.

While my numbers are nowhere close to yours yet, I find myself in 2 day a week territory with family commitments was well. Will look for your next log.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425